The customer was not available on the 1st attempt. A 2nd attempt will be made.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks UPS.

I've been here all day and there hasn't been a knock or a ring. There is also a distinct lack of a missed package slip on my door.

I'm beginning to like Ensenda more and more. Yesterday I hear a knock on my door and some random guy in street clothes hands me my package.

/rant

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Thanks UPS.

I've been here all day and there hasn't been a knock or a ring. There is also a distinct lack of a missed package slip on my door.

I'm beginning to like Ensenda more and more. Yesterday I hear a knock on my door and some random guy in street clothes hands me my package.

/rant

Used to happen all the time to me, until I ninja opened the door on the UPS guy while he was 'stopping'. After talking to him for a few seconds I've never had an issue with UPS since.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Military grade tack strip in front of house should slow that UPS truck down.

While the driver is changing all four tires, casually walk out there and ask if he has a package for you.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
I've been considering setting up surveillance out front so I can record these "attempted" deliveries.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Had Fedex try and pull this once on me when I was waiting for my laptop. Not a knock or doorbell or anything. I was refreshing their website tracking (very frequently as I really wanted my laptop lol) and it went from out for delivery to attempted crap in the span of like 5 mins. I called them up and they had the driver come back to my house like 10 mins later :D

CrazyAznDriver

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2010
I called UPS and had the driver bring me back my package one time. I was home all day expecting it, no knock, ring or anything. He looked pissed when he had to come back lol.

Dec 10, 2005
Sort of happened to me in January. I was watching TV in my apartment <10 feet from the door; UPS guy ninja left a slip, never knocked or rang the doorbell. ARR! The next day, the regular UPS guy apologized, as it was his assistant that was working my building that day.

caspur

Dec 1, 2007
I've been considering setting up surveillance out front so I can record these "attempted" deliveries.

I have this setup. UPS/Fedex always places the package right in view of the cameras. They are always very courteous, no secret knocks, running away, etc.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Had Fedex try and pull this once on me when I was waiting for my laptop. Not a knock or doorbell or anything. I was refreshing their website tracking (very frequently as I really wanted my laptop lol) and it went from out for delivery to attempted crap in the span of like 5 mins. I called them up and they had the driver come back to my house like 10 mins later :D

i did the same. Fedex said they tried to deliver it. i called them and told them no they did not try to deliver it i have been home all day. she was able to look it it up and see i called right after he marked it as nobody home.

They made the driver come back and deliver it. yeah he was a little pissed.

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
You guys are all crazy that package will be on that truck tomorrow and there is no room in those things as it is

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Why would they not knock on the door? The marginal difference in effort between knocking and not knocking is virtually zero.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I actually had an idiot leave one of those things at my door when I was home waiting on something. Called the office as I watched the guy making the turn at the corner of my block and told them their driver was an idiot. After getting an unresponsive reply from them I called the company I ordered it from and told them they'd have to find an alternative shipper or refund me. They said they would call UPS to fix the problem. Amazingly UPS did a great job on the re-delivery, or what most people would say as doing their damned job.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i have things shipped to my office instead to avoid having those issues. the UPS guy in my neighborhood left a "must sign for" package with a neighor, and the neighbor wasnt even home. i was out of town and didnt really know my neighbor, im lucky they didnt just keep the package and sell my shit. it was really the senders fault tho, they used the billing address despite me giving them my office addy for shipping.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Why would they not knock on the door? The marginal difference in effort between knocking and not knocking is virtually zero.
Because the UPS and FedEx drivers are under incredible time constraints. A great deal of time is spent dealing with residential deliveries, and since the drivers can be penalized for taking too long on their route, they will cut corners where they can.
UPS even goes so far as to plot the route to avoid the driver having to make left turns across traffic.
The best recourse is to call the shipper and have them make a case for re-attempt of delivery. They are, after all, paying the bill.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Because the UPS and FedEx drivers are under incredible time constraints. A great deal of time is spent dealing with residential deliveries, and since the drivers can be penalized for taking too long on their route, they will cut corners where they can.
UPS even goes so far as to plot the route to avoid the driver having to make left turns across traffic.
The best recourse is to call the shipper and have them make a case for re-attempt of delivery. They are, after all, paying the bill.

Correct, many will just mark in their system they attempted delivery when in fact they didn't even make any attempt to come to the area. Let alone even leave a slip.

My drivers now just drop stuff on the porch, hit the doorbell, and run.

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
Correct, many will just mark in their system they attempted delivery when in fact they didn't even make any attempt to come to the area. Let alone even leave a slip.

My drivers now just drop stuff on the porch, hit the doorbell, and run.

Guess who is wrong beyond belief? Though they are Teamsters and it's next to impossible to fire a UPS worker, dishonesty is a situation where the union will not stand up for the employee. The DIAD boards operate on the cellular network and have a GPS transponder in them. The trucks do as well. Management is well aware of where a driver has been for the day. And the fact that your driver is leaving it is a sign you don't live in the ghetto. It is called a driver release because the shipper did not request and pay for signature, and the driver is comfortable leaving it.

For anyone that thinks these guys are lazy a typical truck will go out with 150-250 stops per day, which includes business stops with upwards of fifty boxes at some stops stacked floor to ceiling. In major metropolitan areas residential deliveries are a very small portion of the drivers day. Most is businesses and pickups, pickups are usually done by 5ish. Residentials usually after that as they are the lowest priority.

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
As I tend to post in other UPS threads, they pulled this stunt on me. However, they couldn't convince the driver to turn around.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Guess who is wrong beyond belief? Though they are Teamsters and it's next to impossible to fire a UPS worker, dishonesty is a situation where the union will not stand up for the employee. The DIAD boards operate on the cellular network and have a GPS transponder in them. The trucks do as well. Management is well aware of where a driver has been for the day. And the fact that your driver is leaving it is a sign you don't live in the ghetto. It is called a driver release because the shipper did not request and pay for signature, and the driver is comfortable leaving it.

For anyone that thinks these guys are lazy a typical truck will go out with 150-250 stops per day, which includes business stops with upwards of fifty boxes at some stops stacked floor to ceiling. In major metropolitan areas residential deliveries are a very small portion of the drivers day. Most is businesses and pickups, pickups are usually done by 5ish. Residentials usually after that as they are the lowest priority.

how is he wrong? a driver who just marks it as a attempt but NEVER goes to the house is fucking lazy. bad part is it happens frequently.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
sweet is it time to share shipping stories?

this really isnt the fault of FedEx but ive been waiting for something for over a week, something i ordered over a week ago on Saturday and paid for 2 day shipping. they attempted deliver on Wednesday and no one was home (we all work) they left a tag that said VOID on the "sign hear to have us leave it at the door" part, called them they said the shipper didn't allow it. ... FINE so i scheduled a delivery for Saturday because i would be home. they didn't even attempt to deliver it on Friday. the person i spoke to 2 days ago said that. and that was their fault.

called the shipper today to see if i could have them tell FedEx to hold it at the sorting facility so i could just pick it up....NOPE its against their corporate policy... WTF! the dick on the phone said FedEx will attempt it again and it will be sent back and they will refund me......

I told the dude to go fuck himself and hung up the phone on him. Thats the worst fucking policy i have ever heard of

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

My sister caught one driving up to her house, getting out of the truck, running up to her door with a "sorry we missed you" note, then trying to run away before anyone noticed. She saw the whole thing out of the front window. He didn't pull the box out of the truck and never knocked. He seemed pretty upset when she opened the door as he was running off and yelled at him to bring her what she ordered.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Had similar experience with a couple different delivery corps. Have Tracking open in a Tab, refresh occasionally, then suddenly one time get a Delivery Attempt made, and I'm all WTF? Call them up, reschedule delivery, the first time I called for a reschedule I felt bad and offered to Pay. Now I hope the fuckers lose $$(unlikely, but it's the thought that counts) on the deal.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
how is he wrong? a driver who just marks it as a attempt but NEVER goes to the house is fucking lazy. bad part is it happens frequently.

NOT lazy but, yes, dishonest. Please go read in this very thread about the unbelievable and nearly unattainable time constraints that UPS and even FedEx put their drivers under.

A fish rots from the head down.

This is the fault of imposed company policy, not individual drivers being "lazy."