The Cringe Build A Gaming PC Video That Everyone is Laughing At

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I have never used an Allen Wench to build a system in my life. and that video is the first time I had ever heard of anyone actually using a Swiss Army knife in putting together a computer as well.:rolleyes:

i had a case a long time ago that used allen head screws to keep the case on. it was pretty weird.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
i had a case a long time ago that used allen head screws to keep the case on. it was pretty weird.
That is weird and I never ran across one of those before. Don't some AIO water coolers use Allen Wenches?

And just where did the person in the video get the ideal to use a Swiss Army knife instead of a proper screw driver? When I ordered the parts to build my current system, I went and also brought a decent PC tool kit for ~$30 to go with it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have never used an Allen Wench to build a system in my life. and that video is the first time I had ever heard of anyone actually using a Swiss Army knife in putting together a computer as well.:rolleyes:
I never used one on a new build, but I did use my Swiss Army knife to work on PCs a bit in the 90s, if I was working on one at school or some other place where no one had a screw driver handy.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Never used an allen wrench, but a Swiss army knife is my goto screwdriver, especially for little stuff.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
From briefly watching that video, it sure looks like the guy didn't do his homework first before doing the video or building the PC. :rolleyes:

YouTube alone has plenty of Building PC videos... Always do your basic research before doing something for the first time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
From briefly watching that video, it sure looks like the guy didn't do his homework first before doing the video or building the PC. :rolleyes:

YouTube alone has plenty of Building PC videos... Always do your basic research before doing something for the first time.

In that scenario, why should he be doing his own build video on the first place? Often, people doing such videos are often quite skilled with what they are doing, and probably think they have something to contribute. If you need to watch youtube videos to learn how to do a thing, so that you can post your own video about doing that thing, then what are you contributing? That type of person isn't going to be able to critique bad ideas or offer novel tips in their own video.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
In that scenario, why should he be doing his own build video on the first place? Often, people doing such videos are often quite skilled with what they are doing, and probably think they have something to contribute. If you need to watch youtube videos to learn how to do a thing, so that you can post your own video about doing that thing, then what are you contributing? That type of person isn't going to be able to critique bad ideas or offer novel tips in their own video.
Well I can see a local paper writing an article about people who build their own computers as a hobby posting a video on their site about this.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Reviewers reviewing what they have no idea how to review has become the norm.
i blame engadget and millenials. everything gets reviewed in only the most cursory manner. that was barely fine when reviewing phones.

edit: both of these videos are unwatchable. uptalking and idiocy in the original and the weird voice and "jokes" in the other

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
I find them both quite entertaining and worth watching. Your opinion is, of course, just your opinion.

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011

The thing is this wasn't "some guy" going in over his head and not doing his homework. This was "The Verge" the tech branch of VOX a "new media" company. Just like Anandtech is owned by Purch.

With corporate sponsorship they had a team of over a dozen people produce this video to inform the uneducated masses on how to build a PC. Crash. Burn. Fail.

Looking at the build and the aftermath reactions I can only guess that there must be a large amount of drugs being consumed in corporate HQ to reach this level.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The thing is this wasn't "some guy" going in over his head and not doing his homework. This was "The Verge" the tech branch of VOX a "new media" company. Just like Anandtech is owned by Purch.

With corporate sponsorship they had a team of over a dozen people produce this video to inform the uneducated masses on how to build a PC. Crash. Burn. Fail.

Looking at the build and the aftermath reactions I can only guess that there must be a large amount of drugs being consumed in corporate HQ to reach this level.
And nobody bothered to get information on building PCs off the Internet? I didn't actually learn how to ride a bike until I was 30 and I did my research before even buying my first bike.

Mar 11, 2004
I forgot about this and that awful "parody". Holy shit, that was every bit as painful as the original. I'm not at all shocked that the OP likes it though.

More like 2 seconds. It falls in the "tries way too hard" category.

I disagree, I think its a "didn't try at all" level of fail. Just doing a weird irritating racist voice (that I'm not even sure why he's doing, did I miss something? Why is he doing some like 1960s era racist Chinese character voice for his "parody"?) is some of the least effort you could put in. Its bizarre in its laziness.

It was so bad, that it actually almost gives credit to them claiming they DMCA'ed it over it being racist.