The coming social crises.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah we just have all these Americans that make above average income flocking to Shithole--- I mean Mexico.

We better do something to prevent that nonexistant event!

Remind me again, which celebrities were saying "If Trump is elected I will move to Mexico" ?

Oh right - none of them. You incompetent twat.
You get a star for asking and answering your own question. Next.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What I don't understand is the GOP's endgame. What will the 2022 election aftermath be?

The GOP is Trump. It is a cult following now, where membership includes an alt-reality bubble and a belief system that does not bother with pesky facts, truths or logic. Simply believe in the bootstraps and blame your enemies for failure. Few people inside the bubble will ever question it. Their Ego is at stake, and human psyche won't allow that.

It is team sportsmanship and the drive is to recruit people into the cult. Have the biggest tribe. Their failures do not deter recruitment. It is entirely faith based. It is a religion unto itself, with the stamp of "the American dream" written all over it. The GOP's endgame is to simply have enough missionaries to preach and drive recruitment. Voters follow the cult.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Warlords? I can't see that happening in America. There were breadlines during the Great Depression. I see that more likely and if people, I mean significant numbers of people, are starving there will be breadlines again.

I cannot see Congress acting to advert this, even if Democrats win the Senate the damage will be done.

Plus, moderates in the party would never allow NickQTs proposal or anything resembling it. It wouldn't even be enough at that point. You'd need to freeze evictions immediately and tell the landlords to !@#$ off. That or begin construction of massive tent cities. They were needed yesterday.

COVID-19’s Looming Eviction Crisis

14 million American households are at risk of eviction as protections expire

I say Warlords, because people need shelter and they need to eat. If Congress will not provide, someone will. And it could only be provided through the use of force and seizure at the expense of others.

Reactions: nickqt

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The GOP is Trump. It is a cult following now, where membership includes an alt-reality bubble and a belief system that does not bother with pesky facts, truths or logic. Simply believe in the bootstraps and blame your enemies for failure. Few people inside the bubble will ever question it. Their Ego is at stake, and human psyche won't allow that.

It is team sportsmanship and the drive is to recruit people into the cult. Have the biggest tribe. Their failures do not deter recruitment. It is entirely faith based. It is a religion unto itself, with the stamp of "the American dream" written all over it. The GOP's endgame is to simply have enough missionaries to preach and drive recruitment. Voters follow the cult.
Honestly, I do not know (that I know) a single Republican. My dad was back in the 1950's, he fought in Burma in WW II and Eisenhower was the commander of the Pacific theater, so I give him a pass on that. I never heard him talk politics. Never. I have no idea who he voted for ever. My mom was a Democrat and I've never voted for a Republican in my life and never will.

My cousin's husband might have voted for Trump but my fantasy if I see him is to ask him if he did and if he says yes say "we aren't talking' and walk away. I figure anyone who voted for Trump is no worth cultivating, not worth my time.

Reactions: nickqt

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The 2020 election aftermath? Republicans will pick up seats in the Senate, and probably take the house. The groundwork has already been laid for that. Republicans fuck things up, we elect a Democrat President who has to fix things, and people blame him for the problem and elect Republicans.
This time I suspect they are going to impeach Biden, and possibly Harris and take the White House. What they can't win fairly they will steal.
If this is true, Democrats have to look at a way to leverage public opinion against the Republicans. Since it appears that Trump has the party in his thrall the one way to accomplish that it is to denude the emperor of his clothes, and that has to be by indicting and convicting him. No effort should be spared to bring him to justice.

Nov 8, 2012
The 2020 election aftermath? Republicans will pick up seats in the Senate, and probably take the house. The groundwork has already been laid for that. Republicans fuck things up, we elect a Democrat President who has to fix things, and people blame him for the problem and elect Republicans.
This time I suspect they are going to impeach Biden, and possibly Harris and take the White House. What they can't win fairly they will steal.

cW2p8TV.gif

What warped reality do you live in?

You want to explain to me how Republicans made a global pandemic come here - and how it was Republican governors that made draconian stay-at-home orders that resulted in tons of unemployment and near-future evictions by the million?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
cW2p8TV.gif

You want to explain to me how Republicans made a global pandemic come here - and how it was Republican governors that made draconian stay-at-home orders that resulted in tons of unemployment and near-future evictions by the million?

See what I mean. Already hard at work at trying to make this the Democrats fault.

I don't need to answer your questions. They are insincere. Anyone who is not completely brainwashed by propaganda knows the answers already. That means that you are just playing stupid games with peoples lives. It is morally corrupt.

Nov 8, 2012
See what I mean. Already hard at work at trying to make this the Democrats fault.

I don't need to answer your questions. They are insincere. Anyone who is not completely brainwashed by propaganda knows the answers already. That means that you are just playing stupid games with peoples lives. It is morally corrupt.

You're the one asserting that this pandemic & economic issues as a result from it are Republican's fault.

What is your reasoning or logic for saying that we wouldn't be where we are today if Hillary was in office?

• Haha

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Says the m0r0n that lives in a little bubble of fantasy, delusion, and lies.

You're the one asserting that this pandemic & economic issues as a result from it are Republican's fault.
What is your reasoning or logic for saying that we wouldn't be where we are today if Hillary was in office?
"Fakenews. Democrat hoax. Just a flu. Old people die anyway. Kids are immune. Masks do no good. Etc. Etc." - so I guess this was all Hillary and the Democrats pushing these lies?

Fuck off, clown.

Reactions: nickqt and Meghan54

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

We would have had a President that didn't make wearing a mask a political issue.
We would have had a President that listened to advisors and told Americans what to do to be safe.
We would have been back to normal by July because the majority of Americans would have seen leadership take this seriously and would have themselves taken it seriously.
All of that is on Republicans. All of that is because they wanted to froth their base up. Because they wanted to prioritize their stock portfolio.

We have leaders because people follow them. Trump lead people with both his words and actions not to wear masks and not to social distance and people followed him.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
We would have had a President that didn't make wearing a mask a political issue.
We would have had a President that listened to advisors and told Americans what to do to be safe.
We would have been back to normal by July because the majority of Americans would have seen leadership take this seriously and would have themselves taken it seriously.
All of that is on Republicans. All of that is because they wanted to froth their base up. Because they wanted to prioritize their stock portfolio.

We have leaders because people follow them. Trump lead people with both his words and actions not to wear masks and not to social distance and people followed him.
Don't forget to include that (relevant to this thread), the Dems have passed meaningful economic relief where they've had the ability to do so. President Clinton wouldn't have been able to do anything about McConnell's intransience, but that doesn't change the fact that the GOP as a whole is doing everything they can to avoid passing relief for the common man.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We would have been back to normal by July....

Like Europe? Oh, wait....

Europe in meltdown as Covid death tolls soar and progress unravels

Do not be too hasty in thinking there was a way to avoid COVID. We are only human.

Anyways, I think this topic is better suited for the economic consequences and our failure to protect our people with a safety net and the challenges we are about to face in 2021.

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

Do not be too hasty in thinking there was a way to avoid COVID. We are only human.

Anyways, I think this topic is better suited for the economic consequences and our failure to protect our people with a safety net and the challenges we are about to face in 2021.
Europe is seeing the second wave that was inevitable.

The US never had an actual break, it’s still riding that first wave, and instead of us getting a second wave, it looks like it might turn into a tsunami.

Nov 8, 2012

No no no - if only we had a president that couldn't even remember simple speeches, and had gaffs to an exponential level could we have contained this virus... that no country other than ones with highly authoritarian militaries/government (China) - or highly obedient citizens are able to conquer (Japan, South Korea).

No amount of having Biden as our president would change our culture - which is very much a "fuck you, get out of my way I do what I want" type of culture. And if you attribute that to just Trump people or Republicans, then you're simply mistaken and are probably a part of that group.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
No amount of having Biden as our president would change our culture - which is very much a "fuck you, get out of my way I do what I want" type of culture. And if you attribute that to just Trump people or Republicans, then you're simply mistaken and are probably a part of that group.

The definition of culture is something along the lines of: "the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group". Note that culture is held in common by a group of people. The very egocentric "everyone for themselves" approach you describe seems antisocial and really the antithesis of culture. But it does sound very Trumpish.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No no no - if only we had a president that couldn't even remember simple speeches, and had gaffs to an exponential level could we have contained this virus... that no country other than ones with highly authoritarian militaries/government (China) - or highly obedient citizens are able to conquer (Japan, South Korea).

Nobody said having Biden and a science-driven approach from the get go would have made everyone step in line, but the fact is that Trump enables shitty behaviour by well, being shitty, and nobody is more powerful than the president at doing so, especially a cult leader like Trump. It's called the bully pulpit. For sure there would have been plenty of anti-maskers and anti-lockdown people with Biden or any another Democrat in charge, but it would have been different for enough people to have had a serious effect on the overall impact of the virus. A lot of people are just shitty, but a lot of people do need shitty inspiration to let themselves be shitty.

And what you say makes no sense, by wanting a more logical, communal, thoughtful, we are in it together type leader and policy, that now makes us part of the 'fuck you get out of my way I do what I want culture'. Nobody WANTS to wear masks and not be able to go out and do all the fun shit we were doing a year ago. We do it out self-care but also from a respect for others. That's the opposite of the fuck you culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
What do you expect from a DINO like Manchin.
I mean, I don't like to throw stones at Manchin. His caucusing with the Democrats is super-important and look to Alabama (going from Jones to Tuberville) if one wants to consider what the alternative would look like.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Well.... if republicans out there will vote for the Democrats running in Georgia for senate then we can get all the help needed from a Biden administration and a Democrat controlled congress for those people needing help. We can get the checks, we can get the unemployment assistance, we can get the help for those facing eviction. Imagine if all that pain could be eliminated right away, well it can people but the cost for passing that help would be with electing a senate controlled by Democrats. So, will the voters in Georgia vote in their best interest? Or, will voters in Georgia to vote against their best interest? Sadly, way too many people not only in Georgia but across America are F-ing nuts and vote like F-ing morons. This could and should be so easy however F-ing morons can make it so hard. This relief could be so easy.
Might as well vote Xi Jinping as President while we are at it. If the Democrats gain control of the Senate, we will get to see how wonderful the great Authoritarian utopia of the Prgresshevik plantation will be. Unless you are very rich or a non US citizen, voting for Democrats is not in your best interest.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Might as well vote Xi Jinping as President while we are at it. If the Democrats gain control of the Senate, we will get to see how wonderful the great Authoritarian utopia of the Prgresshevik plantation will be. Unless you are very rich or a non US citizen, voting for Democrats is not in your best interest.
When FDR said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" the republicans said hell yea, lets make fear our standard.... and the rest is history for now they fear....
  • black people
  • brown people
  • Asian people
  • gay people
  • women people
  • democratic people
  • Jewish people
  • Catholic people
  • muslim people
  • poor people
  • helping people
And you just proved it...