The coming of DualCore/QuadCore/HexaCore GPUs..just like CPUs..how soon and feasible?

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
I thought I'd lay this out since CPUs are evolving so fast. How soon will it be until we see Video Card manufacturers incorporate DualCore, TriCore, QuadCore and even HexaCore single chips on one video card? Now I can imagine that GPU's burn hotter than Cpu's and such a setup would require a massive seatsink on top of a Video Card, just like on a Cpu in a motherboard....but is this technology feasible? Could we see GPUs evolving in this direction?

Post your thoughts.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Well with the parallel nature of GPUs aren't they already like that just with hundreds of shaders instead of cpu cores?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Psst, they've been doing it for a long time.

The more likely thing is to go back to the 3D FX idea of multiple discrete GPU chips (each containing many cores) on a single board, much like we are seeing to a limited extend in the high end, in order to aim at manufacturing lots of small chips instead of trying to make a single big one.
While at the same time going to everything on a single chip.

It's all a bit weird really.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Dual processors are on the shelves. Dual core or more? Transistor count is already to 3 billion. I think they will skip on the die for a little while.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Each cuda core is a core in of itself. Arranged in blocks. GPUs are ridiculously parallel. Which is why the 480 will crunch folding@home at magnitudes faster than the fastest i920 overclock. And why HPC farms can consolidate their entire server farm down on Tesla's and save on heat + electricity.