The Closer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Sure, though I've read enough to know that a certain number believes that cancel culture is THE WORST. It cant hurt to remove one more card from the GQP's deck can it.

WE (as in people or politicians) can't do jack shit, that is my point. It's up to the providers of the service to either enforce their TOS or not.

My point is that the TOS is a good thing to follow and making exceptions for fascists is a horribly bad idea. It's not cancel culture and no one in their right mind thinks it is, it's simply being an obnoxious twat to the point where you get the boot.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
It really wasn't the jokes per se. Its when some of the lines reference differences in male vs female anatomy. That's the loud part. "Hey, you don't have a vagina."

Yeah, I know that. Thanks for bringing it up. I constantly have to battle in my head and in the world that very reality every day.

I didn't get very far because of the references to the differences. I know there are. I was born with XY chromosomes and the consequences of that through puberty. I also had to deal with a brain that struggled facing the reality of those XY chromosomes and suppress the internal battle in my head.

I tend to describe my symptoms of dysphoria as anxiety, like something not right all the time. Except I can't escape it. I tried anti- anxiety meds. Tried therapies. You name it. The one thing that kept me from going off the deep end wa working and studying ridiculously hard. It's why I am where I am at with a medical degree.

Eventually, I realized I couldn't keep up the facade. I was working myself to death and fortunately I had the wherewithal to foresee what could have happened and came out to my family. I could see if I kept down the path I was going I likely would have committed suicide. It was getting that bad.

Thankfully, I found love and support with everyone I have opened up to. I am still happily married and have an awesome family!

I am on treatment with hormone therapy and have been for years. As soon as I started, it was a night and day difference with my emotions. All of a sudden, I could have emotions again. I was allowed to be happy and to allow sadness. My wife described it as being more present.

Anyway, I digress. I get there are concerns regarding transgender individuals. Unfortunately, there are a lot of mental issues that come along for the ride.

I am happy to answer honest questions. This has been a learning experience for me too.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
It really wasn't the jokes per se. Its when some of the lines reference differences in male vs female anatomy. That's the loud part. "Hey, you don't have a vagina."

Yeah, I know that. Thanks for bringing it up. I constantly have to battle in my head and in the world that very reality every day.

I didn't get very far because of the references to the differences. I know there are. I was born with XY chromosomes and the consequences of that through puberty. I also had to deal with a brain that struggled facing the reality of those XY chromosomes and suppress the internal battle in my head.

I tend to describe my symptoms of dysphoria as anxiety, like something not right all the time. Except I can't escape it. I tried anti- anxiety meds. Tried therapies. You name it. The one thing that kept me from going off the deep end wa working and studying ridiculously hard. It's why I am where I am at with a medical degree.

Eventually, I realized I couldn't keep up the facade. I was working myself to death and fortunately I had the wherewithal to foresee what could have happened and came out to my family. I could see if I kept down the path I was going I likely would have committed suicide. It was getting that bad.

Thankfully, I found love and support with everyone I have opened up to. I am still happily married and have an awesome family!

I am on treatment with hormone therapy and have been for years. As soon as I started, it was a night and day difference with my emotions. All of a sudden, I could have emotions again. I was allowed to be happy and to allow sadness. My wife described it as being more present.

Anyway, I digress. I get there are concerns regarding transgender individuals. Unfortunately, there are a lot of mental issues that come along for the ride.

I am happy to answer honest questions. This has been a learning experience for me too.
Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: kitkat22

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If people want to boycott Netflix or whatever because they don't like what he said that's their right. It's also their right to criticize him.

That being said, comedy is supposed to be transgressive - that's half the fun! George Carlin is my all time favorite comedian and I think if you start trying to police it to make it not offensive you're going to make comedy less funny.
I used love him too but I couldn't stop thinking I and especially those who would pay to see his act were being manipulated by our own internal frustration and rage. Comedy is best that is transgressive but the joy that brings I can't help but viewing as having as its source something that is emotionally sick. The whole experience is like a cult experience where those enjoying the ridicule being delivered get to feel as though they are in the know and beyone it. But self observation could never convince me that was strictly true of me. The relief that I am different was lost on me. I arrived at the point where I experienced an inner sense of hypocrisy. Who am I that I get to laugh at the stupidity and hypocrisy of other?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I used love him too but I couldn't stop thinking I and especially those who would pay to see his act were being manipulated by our own internal frustration and rage. Comedy is best that is transgressive but the joy that brings I can't help but viewing as having as its source something that is emotionally sick. The whole experience is like a cult experience where those enjoying the ridicule being delivered get to feel as though they are in the know and beyone it. But self observation could never convince me that was strictly true of me. The relief that I am different was lost on me. I arrived at the point where I experienced an inner sense of hypocrisy. Who am I that I get to laugh at the stupidity and hypocrisy of other?
Maybe he was just funny.

Reactions: cytg111

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe he was just funny.
There is a price to be paid for those who demand answers to questions and pick and pick at scabs. What does funny really mean? For me questioning led to the realization there is only love accompanied by the experience that I always forget. Not remembering is not the same as knowing one has forgotten.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There is a price to be paid for those who demand answers to questions and pick and pick at scabs. What does funny really mean? For me questioning led to the realization there is only love accompanied by the experience that I always forget. Not remembering is not the same as knowing one has forgotten.
Maybe he was just funny.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Its obviously not funny if you’re still dealing with all those emotions upfront on a daily basis, I get that. There was something in there that targeted white people in a way that made me think ‘hey!’ but realized he said it exactly for me to have that experience.
I hope for you that you get to a place where this is “settled business” or as good as it can be, have distance and get to appreciate a joke when its meant as such, not with vile intentions.
Speaking of emotions, after a breakup, you will know when you are out on the other side of it when you can look back at the past and appreciate and laugh at the funny moments you had without resentment towards your ex… Emotions will always trip us up.
But maybe that is the case for trans people in general, those emotions never really settle, its a life long battle? I shutter to imagine never to get to that “resting place” inside myself where zero fucks and happiness lives..

Reactions: kitkat22

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
I have heard people describe they would not give this to their worst enemy. I can appreciate that. I spent a long time trying to get rid of this. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps, if you will. I failed to realize for so long that it was ok to accept having gender dysphoria and own it. I see this with type 1 diabetics. The ones who own it thrive whereas the ones who don't fight themselves and struggle with the consequences.

I consider myself lucky. There were many times growing up I debated running away. I didn't because I had the foresight to realize I didn't have any plan. I just always felt there was a better place.

So, why open myself to ridicule? It's happened. I have been called a freak and "that 'guy' is wearing a bra, hurr hurr hurr." The pain associated with the insults is nothing to the prior internal mental struggle. So I push forward. I don't seek out trouble and in all reality I want to live a relatively quiet life. Being accepting of being transgender and having gender dysphoria allows me to do that.

Reactions: dank69 and cytg111
Mar 11, 2004
Sorry, but Dave can eat shit on this. He absolutely is being transphobic, and just the same as racists have been racist whilst cloaking themselves under the guise of jokes or other non-explicit bigotry - including claims of scientific validity as there's plenty of genetic issues that affect black people very dispraportionately (the fact that he absolutely is aware of this and completely unapologetic about it is the issue, he knows he's being an asshole and doesn't give a shit about it harming others because he's more concerned with himself, which is why he wants to try to be able to tell people to their faces because he knows that if they can just tell him to fuck off that he won't be able to really get under their skin like he wants to).

As for his comedy, I watched some of his other Netflix specials. They were meh for the most part with the only memorable part being the setup and payoff of the Superman and Bill Cosby analogy. I guess I do remember turning another one off after he said some weakass joke and then started running in circles on stage laughing at it for about the 20th time. At this rate even his comedy is gonna take such a nosedive that at some point he's gonna cancel himself just because he seems intent on reaching a point where he just says stuff to be an asshole and thinks people should shower laughs and praise upon him for it (which is a recurring problem with comedians, they want accolades for saying poignant things, but don't want any criticism for when they're just not being funny or when they say fucked up stuff that society at large is trying to deal with because its a huge problem causing a lot of issues).

People like Dave are just typical bullshit assholes that can't handle the criticism they dish out. Only, Dave had an epic fucking meltdown because he couldn't handle the praise either. He wants to be an asshole, that is both adored and despised because he doesn't love himself. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out Dave's anti-trans stuff is because he is dealing with that himself and doesn't know how else to cope with it.

I'd much rather discuss trans issues than yet another Chappelle special that if it wasn't for him saying asshole stuff to try and stay relevant wouldn't be worth talking about at all. I'm done discussing his nonsense as that's all he's intent on providing and then bitching that people call it out.

One last thing to add, if Dave is so adamant that I or others watch his bullshit then he can fucking pay people to do it. Til then he can STFU about people not wanting to bother with his tired bullshit masquerading as edgy comedy because he spews hateful garbage.

Mar 11, 2004
I have heard people describe they would not give this to their worst enemy. I can appreciate that. I spent a long time trying to get rid of this. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps, if you will. I failed to realize for so long that it was ok to accept having gender dysphoria and own it. I see this with type 1 diabetics. The ones who own it thrive whereas the ones who don't fight themselves and struggle with the consequences.

I consider myself lucky. There were many times growing up I debated running away. I didn't because I had the foresight to realize I didn't have any plan. I just always felt there was a better place.

So, why open myself to ridicule? It's happened. I have been called a freak and "that 'guy' is wearing a bra, hurr hurr hurr." The pain associated with the insults is nothing to the prior internal mental struggle. So I push forward. I don't seek out trouble and in all reality I want to live a relatively quiet life. Being accepting of being transgender and having gender dysphoria allows me to do that.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully the voices of trans people giving their experiences can overshadow this and we can talk about that instead of a mediocre comedian trying to stay relevant by punching at one of the few groups that's faces as much discrimination and hate as black people (such that a black comedian you'd think would be more considerate).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'll go ahead and say it. Taking something that someone else is dealing with, and making it about yourself, isn't funny. It's just self-centered. Anyone who thinks it is funny is either self-centered as well, or just too damn dumb to realize what they're laughing at.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sorry, but Dave can eat shit on this. He absolutely is being transphobic, and just the same as racists have been racist whilst cloaking themselves under the guise of jokes or other non-explicit bigotry - including claims of scientific validity as there's plenty of genetic issues that affect black people very dispraportionately (the fact that he absolutely is aware of this and completely unapologetic about it is the issue, he knows he's being an asshole and doesn't give a shit about it harming others because he's more concerned with himself, which is why he wants to try to be able to tell people to their faces because he knows that if they can just tell him to fuck off that he won't be able to really get under their skin like he wants to).

As for his comedy, I watched some of his other Netflix specials. They were meh for the most part with the only memorable part being the setup and payoff of the Superman and Bill Cosby analogy. I guess I do remember turning another one off after he said some weakass joke and then started running in circles on stage laughing at it for about the 20th time. At this rate even his comedy is gonna take such a nosedive that at some point he's gonna cancel himself just because he seems intent on reaching a point where he just says stuff to be an asshole and thinks people should shower laughs and praise upon him for it (which is a recurring problem with comedians, they want accolades for saying poignant things, but don't want any criticism for when they're just not being funny or when they say fucked up stuff that society at large is trying to deal with because its a huge problem causing a lot of issues).

People like Dave are just typical bullshit assholes that can't handle the criticism they dish out. Only, Dave had an epic fucking meltdown because he couldn't handle the praise either. He wants to be an asshole, that is both adored and despised because he doesn't love himself. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out Dave's anti-trans stuff is because he is dealing with that himself and doesn't know how else to cope with it.

I'd much rather discuss trans issues than yet another Chappelle special that if it wasn't for him saying asshole stuff to try and stay relevant wouldn't be worth talking about at all. I'm done discussing his nonsense as that's all he's intent on providing and then bitching that people call it out.

One last thing to add, if Dave is so adamant that I or others watch his bullshit then he can fucking pay people to do it. Til then he can STFU about people not wanting to bother with his tired bullshit masquerading as edgy comedy because he spews hateful garbage.
So you didn't even watch it.

Gotcha.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Today I learned I am transphobic homophobic a racist and apparently hate myself.
fat-phobic.
misogynist.
small people phobic.

Which is super weird considering all the love I have for all you wonderful people (minus taj and the trumps of c.).

Anyway, im off to get dinner, beautiful people needs smiling at.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Thanks for sharing, hopefully the voices of trans people giving their experiences can overshadow this and we can talk about that instead of a mediocre comedian trying to stay relevant by punching at one of the few groups that's faces as much discrimination and hate as black people (such that a black comedian you'd think would be more considerate).

That is one of my goals - to let people know my experience and share it without trying to be confrontational. At least, that is what I hope is being perceived. I do like comedy, but it has to be the right comedian. I prefer the situational stuff, not a specific targeted group. I certainly love Brian Reagan. Especially his earlier stuff.

Reactions: DaaQ and cytg111

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That is one of my goals - to let people know my experience and share it without trying to be confrontational. At least, that is what I hope is being perceived. I do like comedy, but it has to be the right comedian. I prefer the situational stuff, not a specific targeted group. I certainly love Brian Reagan. Especially his earlier stuff.
Just FYI, Chappelle targets EVERYbody. No one is safe when he's doing standup.

Reactions: cytg111

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Your experience I get (ok obviously not but I am sympathetic to it), what I’m not quite understanding is what specifically Chappelle said that was hurtful or disrespectful. Because to me it seemed like you were saying that the fact that the topic was brought up at all made you feel uncomfortable because of your experience. I didn’t hear anything chappelle said that minimized such an experience or made fun of it, in fact, what I heard was the opposite, he gave that experience a face, his friend.

Please understand I’m not trying to down play your feelings or anything like that, your feelings are real no matter what anyone says. I’m just trying to understand you and the lgbt community better.

Thanks for sharing btw.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Your experience I get (ok obviously not but I am sympathetic to it), what I’m not quite understanding is what specifically Chappelle said that was hurtful or disrespectful. Because to me it seemed like you were saying that the fact that the topic was brought up at all made you feel uncomfortable because of your experience. I didn’t hear anything chappelle said that minimized such an experience or made fun of it, in fact, what I heard was the opposite, he gave that experience a face, his friend.

Please understand I’m not trying to down play your feelings or anything like that, your feelings are real no matter what anyone says. I’m just trying to understand you and the lgbt community better.

Thanks for sharing btw.

I will try. First, I am not particularly fond of the language in itself but the reference to "pussy" and then comparing that to a trans individual with a "pussy being large"

I stopped after that. If this was going to be the "jokes" then I am not a fan and I didn't see the point of continuing. I suppose to some it may be funny or I suppose to some it may not have much meaning.

For those trying to minimize being male or are in the process of transitioing, a reminder of male anatomy is very uncomfortable.

Reactions: cytg111 and dank69

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I will try. First, I am not particularly fond of the language in itself but the reference to "pussy" and then comparing that to a trans individual with a "pussy being large"

I stopped after that. If this was going to be the "jokes" then I am not a fan and I didn't see the point of continuing. I suppose to some it may be funny or I suppose to some it may not have much meaning.

For those trying to minimize being male or are in the process of transitioing, a reminder of male anatomy is very uncomfortable.
I know a couple of young trans men, they’re in my daughters circles, one of them is a best friend to my kid, anyway, one of them is clearly not about jokes of this kind or anything like it, to him its a well too serious issue - and that is fine, while the other has a different type skin, but, he is generally just in a happy place altogether(hes the type that deals alot of shit, so u gotta be able to take some too), so that is probably the core of it, like where you are at your core right now in life.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just watched it.

I don't get it. I don't understand how this could be trans*phobic*. Its transnormative, if anything. The point of the whole trans thing was that subgroups and minorities should not be in such a rush to claim the mantle of victim and should really be aiming for normalization in the popular culture. The whole show sort of slowly spirals inward ultimately centering on the story of Chapelle's friend Daphne who was trans MtF but was at her heart a comedian. Chapelle states in no uncertain terms that she was part of his tribe. The whole story honestly brought tears to my eyes.

I think the big thing here is how you ultimately segregate people. We all do, don't say you don't. But do you do as Dr. King might have and do so by the content of their character? Or do you focus on the more superficial elements into large sterilized buckets with no consideration of the actual individuals that reside therein?

Reactions: ivwshane

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Alrighty then.

Maybe we should find these 10 cancelculture bitches hiding in a basement and confiscate their keyboards. I dont know. To my mind, the right has a much bigger investment in this "cancel culture" being an actual thing than any other party. Maybe someone should put some research down into who is actually promoting this shit, making stupid go viral etc.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It was the weakest of his specials. that's for sure. Right or wrong his standup has become more and more "serious" with less "whacky jokes". I like both aspects of his talent though for sure.

That being said, and being quite liberal and with a child who is struggling with gender identification myself, I didn't find anything he said to be all that horrible. When you LISTEN as he's asking you to. The only thing that threw me off, and I keep going back to was the comment "I'm team TERF" and the TERF discussion in general. That was a little "out there" for me and I'd like it explained a little more. You can sit there and make jokes about the Nazis and such (like JoJo Rabbit) but you can't then say "I'm team Nazi"... it seems like you then are undercutting your own jokes. I dunno, it just seemed a little like "Wait, what did he just say?" moment.

I'm coming back and quoting my own post from a year ago now (somebody liked it so it reminded me of what I said).

At this point, fuck this guy. I gave him the benefit of the doubt back in October, and all I asked/hoped is that he was being misunderstood. But, a year later and he continues to beat this dead horse and for all the wrong reasons. He clearly has issues and being hypocritical is only just the tip of the iceberg. Sad to see his talent go to waste and his true identity be so flawed.