The cheap SSDs thread

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah brudda, he did a review on the 920 earlier this year. https://www.anandtech.com/show/13037/the-hp-ex920-m2-ssd-review

The 900 was selling for $90 when he did the write up, so the price per GB is much better than at that time. It is entry level NVME, but still a nice OS drive for gamers building on a budget.

Thanks for the link, and I agree it is a great drive with a very high $/performance, but I tagged Billy to possibly answer you2's question on if HP made it, or if it was made by another manufacturer as I didn't know for sure. I know companies like Gigabyte don't make their SSDs, but wasn't sure what the deal was with HP branded drives.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Newegg has the Intel 545s 512GB SSD (2.5" SATA III 64-Layer 3D NAND TLC Internal Solid State Drive SSDSC2KW512G8X1) that's been on Ebay, on their own site today for $54.99 with coupon NEN12135.

If you're like me and rarely get Ebay coupons, but have Newegg gift cards or Corporate Perks rewards to spend, then this is a great deal.

Reactions: Mike64

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Newegg has the Intel 545s 512GB SSD (2.5" SATA III 64-Layer 3D NAND TLC Internal Solid State Drive SSDSC2KW512G8X1) that's been on Ebay, on their own site today for $54.99 with coupon NEN12135.
Yep, saw that a half hour ago, and had to get another one.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
People on Slickdeals are saying their orders are being cancelled at Newegg because they had already ordered one through the Newegg on Ebay storefront.
I'm not sure why that would be. I''ve double-dipped on sales before, when their ebay site was limit 3 or 5, and their Newegg.com was limit 3 or 5.

Maybe those people tried to order like 20 of them or something?

I don't know why Newegg would cancel orders, that were a week apart, on their different sites.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How many SSDs do you HAVE?? :p
Honestly, not enough. I had like 2-3 small Newegg-sized boxes FULL of SSDs, but they were lost. Mostly 240GB-sized, purchased over the last 5 years. So now I'm trying to collect them again, or at least, have enough stock for upgrades for people, and upgrades for my own rigs.

I've upgraded like 7 of my laptops with larger / new / fresh SSDs and fresh installs, trying to sell them off, and I did a few jobs recently, replacing people's laptops' HDDs with SSDs, and a fresh install of Windows 10. Call it a "modernization package".

So I try to keep two SSDs of each major size in-stock, and a small stockpile of 120GB SSDs for budget builds.

Reactions: Sonikku

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not sure why that would be. I''ve double-dipped on sales before, when their ebay site was limit 3 or 5, and their Newegg.com was limit 3 or 5.

Maybe those people tried to order like 20 of them or something?

I don't know why Newegg would cancel orders, that were a week apart, on their different sites.

They were saying it was because of limits. I think the Ebay one just says orders above quantity limits will be cancelled, and at Newegg it is listed as 1 per customer.

Here's a screen grab of what happened to some when they bought another from Newegg:

44.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Honestly, not enough. I had like 2-3 small Newegg-sized boxes FULL of SSDs, but they were lost. Mostly 240GB-sized, purchased over the last 5 years. So now I'm trying to collect them again, or at least, have enough stock for upgrades for people, and upgrades for my own rigs.

I've upgraded like 7 of my laptops with larger / new / fresh SSDs and fresh installs, trying to sell them off, and I did a few jobs recently, replacing people's laptops' HDDs with SSDs, and a fresh install of Windows 10. Call it a "modernization package".

So I try to keep two SSDs of each major size in-stock, and a small stockpile of 120GB SSDs for budget builds.
Ah. Well, I have... One.

TWO if you count the NVME boot drive! :p

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I hope there wasnt a better deal than 1tb ex920 for 135$ new. :( been stressing tempted to get 512gb 970 pro for 145instead.. ;/ I hate choices that are not easy..

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Currently I have 3 ssd's and one platter drive which may be going as I've had it for over 6 years.

Main ssd is a Samsung 860 1tb for windows and some apps. I'm thinking of getting a Samsung nvme 960 or 970 but then I would lose either sata port 1 or ports 5&6 according to the motherboard specs on the main page of the z370e board.

Is there a significant difference from ssd to nvme? Both m2 slots seem to support pcie or sata modes which is odd as I figured only one would support both.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The transfer rate of NVME is much faster than sata (up to 5x if the devices supports that transfer rate). As you noted some m.2 devices are sata and other pcie (the pin on the devices are slightly different which triggers the different modes).

Currently I have 3 ssd's and one platter drive which may be going as I've had it for over 6 years.

Main ssd is a Samsung 860 1tb for windows and some apps. I'm thinking of getting a Samsung nvme 960 or 970 but then I would lose either sata port 1 or ports 5&6 according to the motherboard specs on the main page of the z370e board.

Is there a significant difference from ssd to nvme? Both m2 slots seem to support pcie or sata modes which is odd as I figured only one would support both.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

i feel like the 860 evo is a slow drive personally. the 970 should speed it up

something like this the spinning hd loads in 90 seconds the ssd in 60, nvme 50.. if you want to shave a few more seconds off the time, unless you are transferring files back and forth from one nvme to a array or second nvme it will be 15% faster? if you are doing file transfers or using a heavy pagefile i guess it would speed up huge amounts. i enjoy less cables.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
i feel like the 860 evo is a slow drive personally. the 970 should speed it up

something like this the spinning hd loads in 90 seconds the ssd in 60, nvme 50.. if you want to shave a few more seconds off the time, unless you are transferring files back and forth from one nvme to a array or second nvme it will be 15% faster? if you are doing file transfers or using a heavy pagefile i guess it would speed up huge amounts. i enjoy less cables.
I would be adding the nvme mainly just for more space. I still plan on using the existing 4 drives that are hooked up now. Perhaps some of my games could go on the nvme for quicker loading. Besides the first m2 slot will work in pcie x4 mode and still let me use all my sata ports. The second one is nvme only but I would lose sata 5&6.

I've only just recently started looking at these tiny drives since prices have seem to come down for the higher capacity.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I would be adding the nvme mainly just for more space. I still plan on using the existing 4 drives that are hooked up now. Perhaps some of my games could go on the nvme for quicker loading. Besides the first m2 slot will work in pcie x4 mode and still let me use all my sata ports. The second one is nvme only but I would lose sata 5&6.

I've only just recently started looking at these tiny drives since prices have seem to come down for the higher capacity.

for purely storage id have to lean toward a lower priced sata.. 10 seconds faster and how many gb smaller of a drive? of course i havnt priced sata drives lately so id have to get back to you on my ultimate choice. but i can say from what i see the ex920 for 135/1tb on ebay was the best bang for buck for me.. but im using it for a boot drive so it means more to me than a purely storage drive.. (why not switch to boot drive anyway)