The cheap SSDs thread

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
Team Group GX2 2.5" 1TB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) T253X2001T0C101

$78 + tax with free shipping at NewEgg, price is one day only I think. The text at NewEgg doesn't hype read/write speed or mention cache, so it's probably not particularly fast and is cacheless. 3 year warranty.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
I see a lot of sales for brands like Team Group, but none this low for Big Name drives. I think Western Digital had a sale last week at their online store and one of their 1TB drives was $99.99, but I think there's a long way to go before they drop below $80. I have my eye on a Crucial SSD which normally costs around $114 and occasionally goes on sale for $109 or $104 but never any lower. I wonder what we'll see on Black Friday. But even if there are bargains, I think it's premature to hope for say, a $50 1TB SSD like some people were predicting a couple of years ago. Now we have tariffs and shortages and a pandemic, and Hot Deals are kind of dead compared to what they used to be like.

Sorry for being a bummer. lol

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've actually had good luck with Team flash-drives and RAM over the years and their support was decent the one time I needed them. Have yet to try a Team SSD but my confidence level is fairly high.

Having said that I agree that so far at least I've yet to see a real top-level 1tb SSD that I would fully trust with my data (SATA or NVME) for significantly less than $100.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The sandisk and corsair drives are fairly reliable and they are not too expensive.

I've actually had good luck with Team flash-drives and RAM over the years and their support was decent the one time I needed them. Have yet to try a Team SSD but my confidence level is fairly high.

Having said that I agree that so far at least I've yet to see a real top-level 1tb SSD that I would fully trust with my data (SATA or NVME) for significantly less than $100.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The sandisk and corsair drives are fairly reliable and they are not too expensive.

I have two of them ... one each of the SD 3D Ultra 1tb SATA as a storage drive in my new Ryzen build and a 500gb WD Blue as a Steam drive in my FX backup system. Also have installed roughly a dozen of the WD Blue's (mainly 1tb's) in various systems as upgrades.

SD Ultra 3D 1tb currently $108 + tax @ Best Buy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sandisk is owned by WD, right? Same drives, different branding?

Correct however the only specific models I know for sure are identical are the WD Blue (3.5 SATA) and the SD 3D Ultra (3.5 SATA).

Any other model from either line don't assume anything other then what it says on the box and/or in a trustworthy review.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yea. I'm sure the newer models will not keep the same reliability as the old models... well i've not been happy with wd recent moves.

Sandisk is owned by WD, right? Same drives, different branding?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Crucial BX500 240GB 2.5" SATA SSD (dram-less, AFAIK), $27.99 right now, limit 2.

Around the same cheapest price that Team Group had for their GX1/GX2 240GB 2.5" SATA SSDs, except better brand-name and possibly better warranty. (I think Crucial is 3 years on these.)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Not sure about performance but these are a lot more reliable; but perhaps that is what you meant by better brand. I'd say these are probably more reliable than many of the samsung drives (though not as well performing). For me personally reliability is everything.

Crucial BX500 240GB 2.5" SATA SSD (dram-less, AFAIK), $27.99 right now, limit 2.

Around the same cheapest price that Team Group had for their GX1/GX2 240GB 2.5" SATA SSDs, except better brand-name and possibly better warranty. (I think Crucial is 3 years on these.)

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, its TigerDirect... Last time my company ordered a few SSD from them without issue. And these are supposedly new too. But they are PNY, reviews on PNY SSDs have been a mix bag......

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, well, TigerDirect was sold to CDW or someone, wasn't it? Maybe they're not "shady" anymore, like they used to be back in the day.

As far as PNY SSDs, I've got a stack of 250GB CS900 units, that I've been slowly using for builds (along with 480GB Team Group GX1/GX2 SATA SSDs). I have no issues with PNY SSDs, they've been pretty good to me, and the ones that I've used, performed well.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Ah yes, TigerDirect was sold to PCM (PC Mall). They mainly sell refurb stuffs but sometimes have quality sales on new items. At $39.99 with free shipping, it is very attractive...

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
The Tiger died years ago, only the name lives on. Ironically they seem to have a bit better reputation now than before.

Reactions: Captante

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hmm, well, TigerDirect was sold to CDW or someone, wasn't it? Maybe they're not "shady" anymore, like they used to be back in the day.

Ah yes, TigerDirect was sold to PCM (PC Mall). They mainly sell refurb stuffs but sometimes have quality sales on new items. At $39.99 with free shipping, it is very attractive...

Late last year, PCM (and Tigerdirect) were acquired by Insight Enterprises, and they operate as wholly owned subsidiaries.

Insight trades publicly on NASDAQ and is a Fortune 500 company.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Late last year, PCM (and Tigerdirect) were acquired by Insight Enterprises, and they operate as wholly owned subsidiaries.

Insight trades publicly on NASDAQ and is a Fortune 500 company.

Hahaha. I don't understand why they didn't adopt a new name?

I had only vaguely heard of tiger direct, but never bought there. So, I looked at their wikipedia entry. HOLY CRAP! ... It reads like a syndicate rap sheet! Even Bernie Madeoff would be proud of these guys, especially the Fiorentino brothers.

LOL

• Haha

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

I had only vaguely heard of tiger direct, but never bought there. So, I looked at their wikipedia entry. HOLY CRAP! ... It reads like a syndicate rap sheet! Even Bernie Madeoff would be proud of these guys, especially the Fiorentino brothers.

LOL

Hey, back in the olden days Tigerdirect used to have lots of great "after rebate" prices. They just had problems getting around to ever paying the rebates. ;)

It mostly got straightened out after PCM purchased them as part of the Systemax deal. PCM converted the brand to mainly business to business sales and they were (surprisingly) actually a pretty significant provider in that segment. That is probably the only reason the brand has survived after the Insight purchase last year, as Insight is mainly interested in large business/government/enterprise customers.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
They purchased it for the name ;)

LOL