The Bridge

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Yeah, I watched a few minutes of that. It was pretty cool when the guy taking photos pulled that girl up. Too bad she kept coming back.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
That isnt a very far fall. We have a bridge here that runs I-80 over the Allegheny River around Emlenton, PA, and its about 800 feet off the ground. Once or twice a year someone jumps off it.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
I would also love to see the film. I read an article about the movie about a month or so back.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I fished regularly next to the guys filming the movie. This was during the time when the national guard came out to the GG bridge during the heightened terror alert.
These guys had really high end canon movie cameras pointed towards the bridge right on the Fort Baker Jetty in Sausalito close to the north end of the bridge. I fished there every week for a couple of months and I alway saw them there. There would be a few guys in camoflauge clothing and they would take shifts in filming the bridge. I just thought that these guys were part of the terror alert and were keeping an eye on the bridge but I guess I know now what they were doing there.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
They shouldn't put up barriers. It's probably better to die that way than to have their mom or dad or spouse find them in a pool of blood or their brains blown out with a gun. If it was somewhere that accidents kept causing deaths then I could understand the barrier. But these people willifully chose to cause injury to themselves. You have to figure too that all these deaths would have just happened some other way, jump off another bridge, a cliff, a building, drive car into oncoming traffic. A number of ways that could have easily killed other people not wanting to die.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If they're gonna kill them selves, they'll just find another way...I worked on the San Mateo bridge doing the retrofit for 2 years. There were several jumpers during that period, just don't get as much publicity as they do off the GGB.
One guy survived...with a broken back. Jumped at 180', and missed one of our barges by about 20 feet. Just poor aim I guess.
Needless to say, we were GLAD he missed. That would have shut down production for a couple of days minimum, and would have taken forever to clean up all the blood & guts...One of our boats chased him down (strong currents there) fished him out, and I hoisted him up in a stokes stretcher, and to a waiting ambulance.
Don't know if he ever finished the job or not.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: MX2times
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Here's a visual representation of the suicides

Once again, 69 is proven the be the universal number. :p

I wonder why the majority of suicide jumpers decide to face East

Nevermind edit, I see it seems to be directly related to the pedestrian walkway on that side...duh

The experimenters don't publish the times of the suicides. One could argue they do it at sunup (or likewise for sundown). I could be 100% wrong though.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
True Story

When I was working at SF General Hospital, one of my patients was this 20ish year old guy who spent all his money on a plane ticket from Germany to SF so he could kill himself by jumping off the GGB. He ended up chickening out so he went down to the bay and thought he would walk out under the bridge and drown himself. He got about waist deep when he got really cold and decided to walk back. On the way back he slipped on a rock and broke his leg. We sent him to the psych ward, Im not sure what happened to him since.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Thanks to these attention whores, we now have a fugly fence on the bridge. :|

Originally posted by: chambersc
Originally posted by: MX2times
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Here's a visual representation of the suicides

Once again, 69 is proven the be the universal number. :p

I wonder why the majority of suicide jumpers decide to face East

Nevermind edit, I see it seems to be directly related to the pedestrian walkway on that side...duh

The experimenters don't publish the times of the suicides. One could argue they do it at sunup (or likewise for sundown). I could be 100% wrong though.

East side is for pedestrians, west side is for cyclists.