The Brazilian gov is destroying the rain forest.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Elections have consequences. People all over the world are suddenly learning this.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
We can form an international treaty say those area are protected and all countries chip in for the respected loss of econ output.

Nice idea, and I would be all for it, but I doubt the majority will be.
Too many people can't see past today to worry about tomorrow. The US, inarguably the richest nation in the world, has a large number of our society already complaining about foreign aid. If it is controversial here do you really think we would be able to convince the majority of the rest of the world to chip in?
Lets face it, we are fucked. We won't do anything about any of this until it affects each of us personally so much that we can't ignore it any longer, and then it will be much to late.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
keep in mind a lot of this stuff was prohibited by zoning or deed restrictions in order to prevent minorities from moving in

Of course. Zoning as an exclusionary process instead of one built on any sort of real analysis about what should be built where is the reality we face. Local control is basically a disaster with a few exceptions.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Maybe the singularity will come and save (probably by enslaving) us.
The hoopla about a coming singularity (IIRC 2045 was the projection) is looking beyond ridiculous given how the world is careening toward an environmental crisis we aren't prepared to deal with. Assholes like Trump are incapable of even framing it, bringing it into any focus given their viewpoint. The political will to deal with it is way to thin. We are accelerating our carbon releasing world wide.

I think "the singularity" is a fantasy given the realities.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
The hoopla about a coming singularity (IIRC 2045 was the projection) is looking beyond ridiculous given how the world is careening toward an environmental crisis we aren't prepared to deal with. Assholes like Trump are incapable of even framing it, bringing it into any focus given their viewpoint. The political will to deal with it is way to thin. We are accelerating our carbon releasing world wide.

It (and transhumanism in general) is a death escape fantasy for nerds.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

The singularity was just a nod at the magical technology save. Any time you have a conversation like this someone is going to pop up and say something about how we could invent some sort of technology to save our asses without having to sacrifice (I think giant CO2 exchangers have already been mentioned). I don't find it likely, but I can't rule it out either.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The singularity was just a nod at the magical technology save. Any time you have a conversation like this someone is going to pop up and say something about how we could invent some sort of technology to save our asses without having to sacrifice (I think giant CO2 exchangers have already been mentioned). I don't find it likely, but I can't rule it out either.
Hoping for, much less expecting, some magical answer to our greenhouse gas conundrum mega-crisis (already not so much in the making as a trainwreck on the way) is shaping up to be an escapist dream. It's better than Trump's "Chinese hoax" bull shit, sure, at least it acknowledges that we have a problem here!

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I thought we had a more recent discussion about this, but I couldn't find it so I necro'd this one.

The administration doesn't have to follow her advice, but the woman that Lula appointed as the environment minister is the best bet for reversing some of the increasing/accelerating deforestration of the Amazon in Brazil. I hope they will slow the rate of logging, and crack down on the illegal variety.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought we had a more recent discussion about this, but I couldn't find it so I necro'd this one.

The administration doesn't have to follow her advice, but the woman that Lula appointed as the environment minister is the best bet for reversing some of the increasing/accelerating deforestration of the Amazon in Brazil. I hope they will slow the rate of logging, and crack down on the illegal variety.

The problem is that Brazil's version of Congress is littered with Bolsonarites (I think they hold a supermajority), and there is probably not much that the administration wants to do that is going to get done.

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi