The Brain Drain

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gingermeggs

Golden Member
Dec 22, 2008
It's a long ride to the penthouse, but it's always a quick trip to the shithouse!

Hard to contemplate the days of "banking" thunder might be leaving you champ!
You got a few bloated industries there' banking and law would be the tip of your Eiffel tower!

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

IF??!!?? If the dog hadn't stopped to take a shit it would have caught the rabbit.

Sorry, but in the world of banking and business I don't think "IF" is considered collateral.

When the bankers find they can give themselves outrageous salaries regardless of how the bank is doing, that will herald the end of the bank.

So then why are the successful banks luring the talented people away by paying them what they are worth (ie more than the BS cap put in place by obama)? In every industry you pay for top talent and people that add to the bottom line, banking is no different. In your mind this should herald the end of the bank when in reality it makes the bank succeed. Limiting pay heralds the end of the bank as you can see from the OP - you lose your most talented people to your competitor.

Jealousy is such an evil emotion, don't let it cloud your rationale.
alternate: Greed is such an evil emotion, don't let it cloud your ethics.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

IF??!!?? If the dog hadn't stopped to take a shit it would have caught the rabbit.

Sorry, but in the world of banking and business I don't think "IF" is considered collateral.

When the bankers find they can give themselves outrageous salaries regardless of how the bank is doing, that will herald the end of the bank.

So then why are the successful banks luring the talented people away by paying them what they are worth (ie more than the BS cap put in place by obama)? In every industry you pay for top talent and people that add to the bottom line, banking is no different. In your mind this should herald the end of the bank when in reality it makes the bank succeed. Limiting pay heralds the end of the bank as you can see from the OP - you lose your most talented people to your competitor.

Jealousy is such an evil emotion, don't let it cloud your rationale.

LOL, from JS80's sig:

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

I just took his own logic and applied it to the banking salary fiasco. I personally can't relate to these people's problems. My life experience is such that your are lucky if you have a decent job and keeping that job is enough of an incentive to work hard and do your best.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey
Who gives a rat's ass? NO employee is worth gigazillions in salaries, bonuses and golden parachutes unless that employee is personally earning the company multiple gigazillions of dollars more than they cost the company, AND the same job couldn't be done by someone else for less. And NO employee is worth gigazillions in salaries, bonuses and golden parachutes when thousands of investors are losing their life savings and hundreds or thousands of other employees are losing their jobs.

I wouldn't be suprised if there are at least a few available, qualified, competent, unemployed brainiacs around who would be willing to start at a paltry $500K.

Why not just admit that you have never ran a business, and have no clue how to even begin running a business. This is the problem with the internet, everyone has a voice :roll:

I don't know how much simpler it can be spelled out, but given how long this thread has already gone, this topic may be forever hopeless, and is *exactly* why populist politics is very harmful. If compared to the competition you pay very low wages, you will have a very high employee turnover rate.

These types of jobs aren't exactly the ones where you can be successful bringing in new employees with little previous experience. It's not like a supermarket bag-boy where you can drag pretty much anyone off the street and be successful.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: Harvey
Who gives a rat's ass? NO employee is worth gigazillions in salaries, bonuses and golden parachutes unless that employee is personally earning the company multiple gigazillions of dollars more than they cost the company, AND the same job couldn't be done by someone else for less. And NO employee is worth gigazillions in salaries, bonuses and golden parachutes when thousands of investors are losing their life savings and hundreds or thousands of other employees are losing their jobs.

I wouldn't be suprised if there are at least a few available, qualified, competent, unemployed brainiacs around who would be willing to start at a paltry $500K.

Why not just admit that you have never ran a business, and have no clue how to even begin running a business. This is the problem with the internet, everyone has a voice :roll:

I don't know how much simpler it can be spelled out, but given how long this thread has already gone, this topic may be forever hopeless, and is *exactly* why populist politics is very harmful. If compared to the competition you pay very low wages, you will have a very high employee turnover rate.

Unless of course the "competition" wages are so high that they have to charge more and lose business. If that's the case then only time will tell what happens. I personally am leaning towards the stereotype that most bankers are overpaid and underworked.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
^^^

Then the business would probably be insolvent and go under. Bankers are paid what someone is willing to pay them. That is the bottom line. Anyone here, when job searching, are given two offers, and assuming everything else is equal between the offers, just that one pays twice the other - every single person who has commented in this thread, is taking the higher paying job. Including Harvey. The hypocrisy amongst liberals is astounding. I don't know what they're trying to prove more in this thread, that they're angry or that they have no clue how to interact with the real world.