?? the black stuff on the bottom of a intel hsf

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Hi

guys should I remove the black stuff on the bottom of a intel hsf ?
how about the layer underneath it ? (silver, seems metalic)

please let me know

Thanks
Dan

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
the metal thing is probably a shim, and the black stuff will be thermal paste, no do not remove it.

Although, if you have removed the heatsink i suggest you re-apply the thermal paste

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: DannyBoy
the metal thing is probably a shim, and the black stuff will be thermal paste, no do not remove it.

Although, if you have removed the heatsink i suggest you re-apply the thermal paste

yeah I figured its thermal paste, but was wondering if I should remove it to use arctic silver
and I was really confused about the silver part, I removed it once (on a p3) :)

Thanks
Dan

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
The shim is designed to take the weight of the HSF off the processor, so if its on there you may as well leave it there, allthough its probably not that necessary..

If you dont mind the hassle of removing the old thermal paste, sure go ahead and stick your arctic siler on ;) :D

I recommened you re-apply a fresh layer anyway seeing as you have removed the HSF form the processor now.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
since Im asking stupid questions :) I'll ask another one

does it matter how I put the intel stock hsf on ? I noticed you can put it with the letters up and with them upsidedown
Im just starting with s478 and Im a bit confused (especially since with the older ones you could put the hsf only one way)

Thanks
Dan

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
The shim is designed to take the weight of the HSF off the processor, so if its on there you may as well leave it there, allthough its probably not that necessary..

If you dont mind the hassle of removing the old thermal paste, sure go ahead and stick your arctic siler on ;) :D

I recommened you re-apply a fresh layer anyway seeing as you have removed the HSF form the processor now.

its a fresh install (just got the stuff in today :) )
yep I know I should reapply paste every time I take the hsf off :)

D

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: shady06
remove the black stuff, it makes the HSF very difficult to take off if you want to switch HSF...

never had that problem with p3s having stock hsfs on
is the p4 black stuff different ?

Thanks
Dan

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
OK, for starters the silver foil is not a shim, it's part of the layer of Intel thermal interface material.

It's built like this: layer of black waxy stuff + layer of aluminum foil + layer of black waxy stuff.

If you're going to remove it to use Artic Silver instead you need to remove the whole thing so you're left with nothing but the stock aluminum heatsink. If you remove it before it's ever been used it's pretty easy to get off, if you try it after you've used it it'll be melted onto the aluminum heatsink and will be harder to clean off. It's real important to clean all the old TIM completely off the heatsink before you apply Artic Silver. I use acetone, others use Isopropyl Alcohol, others use Goo-gone. There's good application instructions on Artic Silver's website.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ZL1
Hi

guys should I remove the black stuff on the bottom of a intel hsf ?
how about the layer underneath it ? (silver, seems metalic)

please let me know

Thanks
Dan
If you intend to overclock then by all means remove it. If you just plan to run stock then leave it be as it'll protect your warranty.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: RalfHutter
OK, for starters the silver foil is not a shim, it's part of the layer of Intel thermal interface material.

It's built like this: layer of black waxy stuff + layer of aluminum foil + layer of black waxy stuff.

If you're going to remove it to use Artic Silver instead you need to remove the whole thing so you're left with nothing but the stock aluminum heatsink. If you remove it before it's ever been used it's pretty easy to get off, if you try it after you've used it it'll be melted onto the aluminum heatsink and will be harder to clean off. It's real important to clean all the old TIM completely off the heatsink before you apply Artic Silver. I use acetone, others use Isopropyl Alcohol, others use Goo-gone. There's good application instructions on Artic Silver's website.

Oh..

hey thanks man !!

Dan

DAPUNISHER I got a SL6Z3 sitting on a Asus P4C800-E, how could I pass on the fun of OCing ? :)

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Mikewarrior2
w00, sl6z3 should be able to get a very nice o/c :)

Mike

yep hoping for 3.5 :)
got mushkin lev 2 pc3500 ram so I dont have to worry about ram holding me back
as a x-mas gift from myself to myself I got the asus p4c800-e the sl6z3 and 512mb of mushkin lev2 :)
my main machine was in ruins (my sig rome in ruins) for way too long so I decided its time to bring it back to life :)

D

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
the metal thing is probably a shim...

The shim is designed to take the weight of the HSF off the processor, so if its on there you may as well leave it there...
Ok, please don't take (much) offense to what I have to say, but...

If you aren't certain that you know what you are talking about, it's probably not the best idea to give other people advice about their equipment worth several hundred dollars.