The big sort

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'm part of this article. I moved my family from Kentucky to Portland, OR for a lot of these reasons. I was tired of raising my kids in a judgmental theocracy. It's not so much the concept of red or blue states, but rather how far states have let authoritarian and evangelical doctrine take over for actual policy. I'm out.
I'm looking for vibrant, college towns with diverse easily accessible health care as well as social opportunities that don't revolve around the word "church".
That's where I'm headed.
It's just a coincidence that demographics in those avoid voting for Republican.
Pretty much. We're hoping to leave midwest for somewhere better within the next couple of years. Midwest climate blows, we aren't fans of pervasive evangelical culture all around us, and we just aren't happy where we are. The comment about social opportunities other than church rings so true it hurts. And after seeing how deep republican states handled COVID we aren't moving to any red state. Thanks, but no, not to mention all of the other socially abhorrent laws those states are pushing at the state level. We're hoping to move to CO somewhere east of the Front Range. And even then we would want to stay away from conservative areas, meaning no Colorado Springs. Hoping to settle as close to Denver as possible even though our cost of living would actually go up (if there is one thing midwest is good for it's cheap living).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Politics may play a role but I imagine cost of living is the primary factor. Broadly speaking people are moving out of the northeast and CA because while they are the most desirable places in the country to live the cost of living due to restrictive housing policy has become unsustainable.
For those who already own homes what about restrictive housing policies would cause them to want to move? They may wish to cash in on equity that parallels demand, or they may be forced out by property taxes they could have never imagined would skyrocket as they have with demand.

Generally, people who make money off of investments are heralded as clever, but for many a home isn’t that, it is their home with all the emotional feelings for some that may apply. This kind of attachment is hard for those who have no empathy for such things to comprehend as all feelings can be for the over rational, emotionally stunted.

The answer to this, of course is to have no state property tax with all taxes based on income. This, of course will weigh more heavily on people who pay rent so rents will need to be fixed so as not to scale with demand. Such measures will prevent low income people who have living wages from becoming homeless. The way to prevent millions of people from wanting to live in so called desirable places that they will ruin by massive density is to meet that demand by making everywhere a desirable place to live. This would best be done in my opinion via centers where people can gather easily and then disperse. This would require a revolution in mass transit.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
For those who already own homes what about restrictive housing policies would cause them to want to move. They may wish to cash in on equity that parallels demand, or they may be forced out by property taxes they could have never imagined would skyrocket as they have with demand.
While you’re right that people who already own homes do very well with the equity they might want to move as well because high cost for housing causes higher costs for everything.

Generally speaking though the exodus has been of the lower middle class, most of whom don’t own homes because policies you support has made that impossible for anyone but the upper middle class and rich in these coastal metros.

As an amusing/sad anecdote the only friend in CA that I know who bought a house in the last 5 years was only able to do so because he was run over by a bus. (He’s fine, which is why it’s amusing).

Generally, people who make money off of investments are heralded as clever, but for many a home isn’t that, it is their home with all the emotional feelings for som that may apply. This kind of attachment is hard for those who have no empathy for such things to comprehend as all feelings can be for the over rational emotionally stunted.

The answer to this, of course is to have no state property tax with all taxes based on income. This, of course will weighheavily
We usually don’t view people who come by their wealth by using the government to inhibit competition clever, we call that corruption.

You should go find a group of homeless people and tell them that you sympathize with their plight and all but not living in one particular home would make you sad so they are out of luck

Reactions: pmv

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
While you’re right that people who already own homes do very well with the equity they might want to move as well because high cost for housing causes higher costs for everything.

Generally speaking though the exodus has been of the lower middle class, most of whom don’t own homes because policies you support has made that impossible for anyone but the upper middle class and rich in these coastal metros.

As an amusing/sad anecdote the only friend in CA that I know who bought a house in the last 5 years was only able to do so because he was run over by a bus. (He’s fine, which is why it’s amusing).

We usually don’t view people who come by their wealth by using the government to inhibit competition clever, we call that corruption.

You should go find a group of homeless people and tell them that you sympathize with their plight and all but not living in one particular home would make you sad so they are out of luck
I am on an iPad which I find difficult to use to post. I posted before I meant to. I have now finished my post and will ignore replying to your reply. On a computer I know how to delete a post that I accidentally posted early and save it and edit it on word pad. I will read what you said out of respect for your time but with the awareness you might have posted differently had I gotten everything right the first time.