the best year of gaming post 3DFX-era

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which was the best year of gaming?

• other (SPECIFY!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
98- Starcraft.... logged thousands of hours on this one, played everyday until about 2006 (ran a few teams also)

been waiting on sc2 for 4 years now... sc1 just didnt cut it anymore for me

Diablo II, Myst II, Heroes of might and magic, all get an honorable mention also

Niku

Aug 31, 2008
1996 was the rise of 3d gaming. the n64 made some of my all time favorite games possible. I was not sad to see the era of 2d being IT end.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My favorite era for nolstalgia purposes was '92/'93:

- X-Wing
- Wolfenstein 3D
- Doom
- Syndicate
- Myst
- Day of the Tentacle 2
- Star Control 2
- Sim City 2000

That's a little bit old school, but of the bolded titles I don't even know which game I wasted the most time in other than it was hundreds of hours for each. It's true that none of them are really that great today, but I would love to see both a Syndicate and X-Wing/Tie-Fighter remake using 2010 technology. How could Syndicate 2010 not sell a bazillion copies?

*still waiting patiently for a new Syndicate, keeping the isometric style of course.

:(

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
My favorite era for nolstalgia purposes was '92/'93:

- X-Wing
- Wolfenstein 3D
- Doom
- Syndicate
- Myst
- Day of the Tentacle 2
- Star Control 2
- Sim City 2000

That's a little bit old school, but of the bolded titles I don't even know which game I wasted the most time in other than it was hundreds of hours for each. It's true that none of them are really that great today, but I would love to see both a Syndicate and X-Wing/Tie-Fighter remake using 2010 technology. How could Syndicate 2010 not sell a bazillion copies?

I LOVED syndicate and tie fighter. Oh the hours I spent hashing out IRQ conflicts so that x-wing would play on my 386 + turbo mode. I still remember all the training flights (through the rings).

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
*still waiting patiently for a new Syndicate, keeping the isometric style of course.

:(
It's certainly possible that a Syndicate remake could fail to capture the fun of the originals. If Molyneux was at the helm again I would probably give it the benefit of the doubt.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
It's certainly possible that a Syndicate remake could fail to capture the fun of the originals. If Molyneux was at the helm again I would probably give it the benefit of the doubt.
Bullfrog did make Syndicate Wars but it was very different from the original.
it had nice graphics for the time, but research would only advance if you complete a mission which made it difficult.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
UT was by far the best multiplayer game ever. GOTY edition was a nice bonus.

I also have a soft spot for MDK2 as well.

Too bad my V3 3000 died back in 2004.