the best damn wifi router money can buy!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
That makes sense. Thanks JacMDS - I'll get an ASUS and a WRT54G and flash them both with DD-WRT.
Um, this only makes sense if you plan to have the repeater only work on the 2.4 band at G speeds.

Make sure your hardware can actually handle the network protocols you mean to run!

And, um, use Tomato.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I have a RT-N66U flashed with Merlin's latest build. No problems and very happy with the range and speed.

Merlin's firmware is just Asus's firmware with minor changes and fixes. Haven't tried DD-WRT or Tomato yet.

This is why I've avoided it thus far. It doesn't seem like he goes out of his way to bug fix or optimize the fw, which is fine, but I don't think will help me if the overall platform isn't stable.

I did flash with Tomato, working well so far one day in. Crossing my fingers.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
hey, i just wanna let everyone know its been at least 2 weeks and the Asus router i got that you suggested is working great!!!!
rock solid performace on the fw that it came with. i didnt bother to flash it with anything. havent had to reset it. havent touched anything. internet is blasting throughout the house nonstop. im very impressed with it! many thanks!

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Been very happy with my 66U for several months now. Spits out a signal from the basement up two floors where I can get ~20MB/s with a 450Mbps PCI-e network card (5Ghz N). Let's me stream 1080p movies no problem. Running the latest ASUS firmware with no issues.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The 66R is a little better after putting Tomato on it. Every once in a while, it will stall but it only lasts for a few minutes. Typically, by the time I turn off cellular on my device and start trying to narrow the problem down, by the time I peg it back to the Asus, it's resolved itself and is working fine again.

I guess I keeping it. I'm not particulary THRILLED with it, but I feel like its the same situation I was in when I got the WNDR-3700... It's the best I can get, but it's still not quite good enough.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
The 66R is a little better after putting Tomato on it. Every once in a while, it will stall but it only lasts for a few minutes. Typically, by the time I turn off cellular on my device and start trying to narrow the problem down, by the time I peg it back to the Asus, it's resolved itself and is working fine again.

I guess I keeping it. I'm not particulary THRILLED with it, but I feel like its the same situation I was in when I got the WNDR-3700... It's the best I can get, but it's still not quite good enough.

I used to have the same issue. Turned out it was my ISP & their crappy modem, not my top end router.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I just picked up and installed an ASUS RT-N66U and so far I love it. My signal strength is much better than previously (Airport Extreme/Express). To solve my bridge/repeater issue, rather than buying a router and hoping they are compatible, I went with an ASUS EA-N66 unit. I hope it works well.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
A bought the AC66U about 3 weeks ago and am less than impressed. I don't know if I'm just experiencing the shortcomings of 5G, or if the thing just sucks or what. I've screwed with every setting, which helped some, but still have pretty crappy 5G range. I've jacked with Tx power, bands, frequencies and the antennas. I know the firmware is not very mature yet, but the dang thing was $200, LOL.
Oh well... I guess I can deal and hope for better firmware or some settings guide that helps more than what I've done already.

Rob_63

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2003
A bought the AC66U about 3 weeks ago and am less than impressed. I don't know if I'm just experiencing the shortcomings of 5G, or if the thing just sucks or what. I've screwed with every setting, which helped some, but still have pretty crappy 5G range. I've jacked with Tx power, bands, frequencies and the antennas. I know the firmware is not very mature yet, but the dang thing was $200, LOL.
Oh well... I guess I can deal and hope for better firmware or some settings guide that helps more than what I've done already.

I have had mine for about two weeks and am thoroughly happy with it, did you upgrade the firmware? I did the on the second day and it has worked flawlessly since, and I have full strength all around my house now where I only had 25% upstairs with my DIR655, I am not even going to bother with a repeater.

Edit: FW version 3.0.0.4.260

Last edited:

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
I'm on the latest 260 firmware. Have you messed with any of the wireless settings? Did it all work fine out of the box?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
A bought the AC66U about 3 weeks ago and am less than impressed.

Why should you be Impressed to begin with, it is an None standard device that is in its development stage sold on market to cater to "Early Adapters" (AKA, short on patient).

:cool:

Last edited:

Rob_63

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2003
I'm on the latest 260 firmware. Have you messed with any of the wireless settings? Did it all work fine out of the box?

Other than setting up separate SSID's to distinguish the 2.4 from 5.0 and password encryption, no.

My son plays the new COD with PS3 and when I first set up the router he complained about being booted several times from the server he was playing on, that's what prompted me to update the firmware which I did, (on the second day I had it running) and after that it has not belched, farted nor hiccuped once.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I used to have the same issue. Turned out it was my ISP & their crappy modem, not my top end router.

You should read further back. I've narrowed my issues down to the router (which I'm only using as an access point).

My Internet connection is actually great, which is something I never thought I'd say about Comporium.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Ok, last night I got inssider fired up on a laptop. What a revelation, LOL. I totally fixed the antennas, so pretty much anywhere in the house is good to go on range.... so far.

I also was able to pick the correct 2.4G channel, based upon every other dummy's routers around me. I also moved from 40 to 20 on the bandwidth, which further helped.

As far as 5G goes, I'm in the dark as my laptop doesn't do 5G. I'll probably have work swap out the laptop with a newer model. However, I did notice a few things. I was having disconnects on my iPad4 & iPhone5, so I switched the 5G channel last night and that seems to have fixed that.

I very highly recommend using inssider with this router if you're having issues. I guess I never messed with inssider before because my old 2.4G Linksys E2000 just worked.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Use the time graphing in inSSIDer to find your signal strength. I have 4 iDevices and was able to use FaceTime on them between floors to troubleshoot, instead of forcing the wife to stare at the graphs and yell at me, lol.
FaceTime yourself on 2 devices, set laptop on the couch or another spot you have signal issues with, have the phone camera pointed at the laptop screen, run upstairs to the antennas, adjust antennas while looking at FaceTime, which is looking at laptop screen which is monitoring signal strength, lol. Real time adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.