the beer patriot act!!! :)

laFiera

May 12, 2001
sad but true

Cops Count On Pizza Tattletales

May 27, 2004 10:26 am US/Eastern
PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) The long arm of the law may be ringing your doorbell and holding a pizza.

Police in Portsmouth hope to enlist pizza delivery people and hotel clerks to help cut into underage drinking and parents who allow it.

Under a new law, it's illegal for the owner or occupants of a home or hotel room to host a gathering of five or more minors who are drinking or using drugs. Teens as young as 17 who throw a party could be tried as adults.

Portsmouth Police Sergeant Mike Schwartz said the program is called the "Booze Bounty." He said food delivery people and hotel clerks would receive $50 if their anonymous tips of suspicious activity leads to the arrest of a party host.

"The message being sent to parents is that it's not safe for them to host a party," said Jackie Valley, of the Community Diversion Program in Greenland, which works to keep at-risk youths out of trouble with the law. "This doesn't change the fact that youths using alcohol is still illegal."

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Living in NH, I saw this in today's papers. It seems to be a Portsmouth only thing AFAIK. At least here in southern NH, my hotel and every other hotel in the city will not rent a room to anyone under 21 anyhow.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
In my experience, the food delivery people are the ones at the parties when they are not at work.

Law won't do much, even for $50 wastos will never side with the police to get their brothers busted.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Rent-a-cops. I really hate these type of programs. Tip Lines for Cash are bad enough, now this. Everyone is being paid to spy on everyone else, back during the Cold War this is what the evil Communists did.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Another dig at freedom.
Now people aren't even allowed to drink in their own homes.

Just because they are not old enough to buy alcohol, or drink it in a pub.bar doesn't mean they aren't (or shouldn't be) allowed to drink in the privacy of their own home, if there parents think they should be allowed too.

If the kids are holding their own party without parents consent, it's another matter, but if there are responsible adults there, the kids should be free to drink if they please, as long as they don't go out and wander the streets drinking.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
If John Ashcroft was in charge of home delivery of food, he'd have an army of spies to report on anything that looked suspicious.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Another dig at freedom.

Just because they are not old enough to buy alcohol, or drink it in a pub.bar doesn't mean they aren't (or shouldn't be) allowed to drink in the privacy of their own home, if there parents think they should be allowed too.

If the kids are holding their own party without parents consent, it's another matter, but if there are responsible adults there, the kids should be free to drink if they please, as long as they don't go out and wander the streets drinking.

What is this "Freedom" you speak of??? :confused:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Another dig at freedom.

What is this "Freedom" you speak of??? :confused:

I don't know, I'm rather confused about it myself, but I live in the UK, so I would obviously have less freedom than anyone in the US would ever have.
I guess you guys are just lucky to be so free :(
I'm jealous I guess.

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
lol, US land of the free and brave sounds more and more sarcastic every time I read these forums ...

what a fücked up state of laws and stuff ...

I mean, seriously, freedom ... heh, sounds more like 1984*, what's next, planting bugs in every house so they wont have to "hire" pizza boys and clerks for informants, imho ppls should massively protest against this.

here in belgium (yesyes I kno I'm once again making propaganda for belgium, but I just want to compare some stuff) there is no minimal drinking age, and yes there is some problematic alcohol abuse, but here those ppl get support, because alcohol abuse is mostly a sign of a deeper problem, as it is now in the US those ppl would get into more problems because of whatever penalty the law gives them.

imho that law is flawed.

freedom should also mean freedom to drink and enjoy alcohol, and if you learn to deal with alcohol from a young age you know the dangers of alcohol.

laFiera

May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: boran
lol, US land of the free and brave sounds more and more sarcastic every time I read these forums ...

what a fücked up state of laws and stuff ...

I mean, seriously, freedom ... heh, sounds more like 1984*, what's next, planting bugs in every house so they wont have to "hire" pizza boys and clerks for informants, imho ppls should massively protest against this.

here in belgium (yesyes I kno I'm once again making propaganda for belgium, but I just want to compare some stuff) there is no minimal drinking age, and yes there is some problematic alcohol abuse, but here those ppl get support, because alcohol abuse is mostly a sign of a deeper problem, as it is now in the US those ppl would get into more problems because of whatever penalty the law gives them.

imho that law is flawed.

freedom should also mean freedom to drink and enjoy alcohol, and if you learn to deal with alcohol from a young age you know the dangers of alcohol.

from the little i remember about american history there were a group of people named puritans and i think the blame goes to them!! :) But truly if you lived in the usa you would laugh at how drinking alcohol is the coolest thing you ever did, and that's because of the 21 yr old drinking age. Where i came from, yea, no law about drinking ages, and yea, people get drunk and is not a big deal as it is drinking in the usa; mainly b/c is just the cool thing to do and to look cool and popular.

By the same token i'm glad i live in the usa and smoking is banned from most places---hell yea. Europeans still gotta learn how to be civilized about smoking. ooopsss---did i just type that??? :)