The BBB Sucks.

Nov 17, 2019
How can a company have an A+ BBB Rating when it has a 1.2 (of a possible 5) Average/rating from Customers?

Customer Reviews 1.2/5 Average of 193 Customer Reviews

Because they suck. They're pay-to-play and as long as the company pays, they get their way.

Reactions: Captante
Nov 8, 2012
It's been that way. It's also a lot like things like "JD Power awards" for vehicles - it's a joke. Anyone who hears that and thinks it's any reflection of the product, service, or company is simply being fooled.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Vehicle ones are hilarious, some manufacturers actually make up their own awards then award themselves with it lmao. I don't know how that's even legal. It's basically fraud.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
BBB has no authority, they bully other businesses, etc. I get it.

But BBB came through for me. Bestbuy royally screwd up my TV order and said it was delivered when it wasn't. I spent- no exaggeration- 15+ hours on the phone with BestBuy with no resolution and I was out $1500+ from my CC.

Before doing a chargeback and missing out on this hot deal, I filed a complaint with BBB. They, in turn, got in contact with BestBuy. Got my TV delivered and I got $300 off.

Reactions: brianmanahan

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
BBB = An unreliable way to tell if you can trust a business.

And the only actual vehicle ratings/awards you can really trust come from Consumer Reports. (zero advertising)

OTOH it's not the worst idea to read Car & Driver once in awhile too!
(for a commercial mag they're relatively objective)

Last edited:

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005

The only actual vehicle ratings/awards you can really trust come from Consumer Reports. (zero advertising)

I usually look at the measured performance block on car and driver, although their drivers are far from professional, it gives some good info on how the car would perform with an ameteur driver.

On my car alone, the car and driver lightning lap video shows the driver money shifting and totally blowing the line on one corner and having to significantly overbrake, indicating it's very unreliable data.

Nov 20, 2009
Its all a paid for scam. Just like Angie's List. Pay us and we'll advertise the positive-ONLY customer responses. Otherwise, we'll hide the positive ones and publish the negative ones. There are very few honest, skilled and trustworthy businesses out there these days. Especially contractors. But just keep in good mind that there has never been a great auto dealership. They are like lawyers.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

And the only actual vehicle ratings/awards you can really trust come from Consumer Reports. (zero advertising)

Consumer Reports is far too short breathed with their methods and results. They need to learn the internet doesn't have a character limit. But some of their results, especially mileage seem completely off and they provide no explanation.

Really computer review sites have ruined me on all other reviews.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Consumer Reports is far too short breathed with their methods and results. They need to learn the internet doesn't have a character limit. But some of their results, especially mileage seem completely off and they provide no explanation.

Really computer review sites have ruined me on all other reviews.

I agree about the online content ... not even close to worth it for a full subscription. I will occasionally sign up for a month if they have a full review I need to read but that's about it.

Funny I'm such a nerd I can recall reading my father's CU magazines for fun when I was a kid. Those reviews were a on another level detail-wise compared to today.

However this is at least partially due to the no-advertising of any kind accepted thing. The budget is limited.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I agree about the online content ... not even close to worth it for a full subscription. I will occasionally sign up for a month if they have a full review I need to read but that's about it.

Funny I'm such a nerd I can recall reading my father's CU magazines for fun when I was a kid. Those reviews were a on another level detail-wise compared to today.

However this is at least partially due to the no-advertising of any kind accepted thing. The budget is limited.
I'd think there would be more budget impact from doing the testing than writing up a decent report. At least that has always been my experience with testing, especially when something like a car you could boilerplate a ton of it.

I remember reading an article about outdoor paint, they had a page or so talking about the test, then just ranked everything "Poor" "Good" "Better" "Best" with no explanation as to why. Ran a test for years, but then couldn't actually be bothered to provide any detail.

FYI, you can access CR for free from most libraries, at least every library I've been a member of.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd think there would be more budget impact from doing the testing than writing up a decent report. At least that has always been my experience with testing, especially when something like a car you could boilerplate a ton of it.

I remember reading an article about outdoor paint, they had a page or so talking about the test, then just ranked everything "Poor" "Good" "Better" "Best" with no explanation as to why. Ran a test for years, but then couldn't actually be bothered to provide any detail.

FYI, you can access CR for free from most libraries, at least every library I've been a member of.

They have to buy everything they test retail to make sure it's an honest example of the product being tested.

With auto's in particular this can add up quickly, as can maintaining a large fully insured testing facility.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
They have to buy everything they test retail to make sure it's an honest example of the product being tested.

With auto's in particular this can add up quickly, as can maintaining a large fully insured testing facility.
Yeah, that's my point, seems like they are pinching pennies on the most important part (providing the data). I don't really think the short write ups are a budget thing, I think they just think their readers trust them and just want the results. I find this pretty unsatisfying though.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Better Business Bureau. Bee Bee Bee.

Our company has pretty bad public reviews, mostly because we're fair and straightforward and the only people who get a "bad service" are the idiots and the scammers - the only ones who take time to write reviews. Like they think a 6B/y company behaves the same way as a local restaurant. Oh noes, Gemma X wrote a bad review on yelp!!
Generally, the happy customers, when we fly you back home on an air-ambulance with a shattered knee, the last thing on your mind is to go on Google Maps and write us a review. We do get a lot of praise in the mail, though.