The Ayers strategery.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Wow! I guess most of you have seen the 'angry' Republicans who say its a liberal media conspiracy that they are not "all Ayers, all the time". In fact a reporter from CNN was threatened by a McCain supporter. Yet, according to all the polls most people don't care about the Ayers thing.
And EVERY poll I have seen says the Ayers thing has completely turned off the independent voters McCain would need to win.
So what's going on?

I think the Republicans and FoxNews stategery is this:
1) Hope that the "Bradley" effect kicks in. I personally think the Bradley effect is different in different parts of the country and different states. States that have had black people run for high office and win, I think the Bradley effect loses most of its significance. Just like how when Kennedy won being a Catholic has become no bar to nominations and elections.
So I think the hope is that in some states and some areas the Bradley effect may kick in. While Ayers is white, and you may ask how that applies, it is always associated with "Obama is not like us" in a nearby sentence.

2) Save the Senate from a filibuster proof majority. Energize the base and pull out a couple of close states at the risk of losing the Presidency.

just m.o.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I dont have a pot in this fight but wasnt it Anderson Cooper who started asking these questions 1-2 weeks ago?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
I dont have a pot in this fight but wasnt it Anderson Cooper who started asking these questions 1-2 weeks ago?

Actually I don't watch him, cause the few times I did he seemed a dunce.
Well, even a stopped clock is right......

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001

Wait till you see the pictures of BHO golfing with OJ.... "Not Guilty" is "Not Guilty" right? At least OJ made it to court a couple times.

(j/k of course ;) )

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The reason they think the media hasn't investigated, is they watch Fox News, which tells them that the rest of the media hasn't investigated.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i think this is going to back fire on them... the ayers strategy so far only works on mccain supporter and they are already going to vote for him anyway.

like the op said, it's turning off most of the independent voters.... which explains why obama is leading more and more....

seems like mccain's running 99% negative ads, that's going to ruin him, while obama is doing what? 60% negative and rest on issues.... anyone got the real count?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei
i think this is going to back fire on them... the ayers strategy so far only works on mccain supporter and they are already going to vote for him anyway.

like the op said, it's turning off most of the independent voters.... which explains why obama is leading more and more....

seems like mccain's running 99% negative ads, that's going to ruin him, while obama is doing what? 60% negative and rest on issues.... anyone got the real count?
Yep combine that with Obama's outspending him 8:1 in NC and 4:1 in VA, McCain is screwed. Negativity won't win this election.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Find something to hate then tie Obama to it.

Obama is 'other'. He's not white like us. He's from some underground movement lurking around like self hate in our unconscious. He hates us. He is what we will find if we awaken to what we feel. He could destroy denial. He must be destroyed. We have to have something to hate.

Without self knowledge people are machines that the sharp can manipulate any which way. Just a while ago McSame was butchered by the same manipulatory swine who said he'd fathered black babies. Now the f who was slaughtered by slime is employing them against Obama.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's a pretty awful "strategy" since the only media coverage it gets is Obama surro... er, reporters blasting McCain for it.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Wrong Strategy for McCain.

Obama accuses McCain of trying to divide Americans By CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press Writer
3 minutes ago

Presidential candidate Barack Obama on Friday accused Republican John McCain of trying to divide the country, but he let fellow Democrats handle harsher attacks while he kept his message mostly upbeat.

Speaking to an outdoor audience, Obama said "it's not hard to rile up a crowd by stoking anger and division." He said Americans want "someone who can lead this country" with a steady hand in a time of economic crisis, not divide it.

Echoing McCain's "country first" motto, Obama said, "Now more than ever it is time to put country ahead of politics."

Polls show Obama leading McCain in Ohio and several other battleground states, and he seems eager to keep his campaign on a steady, non-controversial course. As he has done for days, Obama criticized McCain's economic plans and urged Americans to stay calm and confident amid the dramatic drop in the stock market.

The Illinois senator again did not mention McCain's attacks for associating with a former 1960s radical, William Ayers. When asked on a radio talk show, however, Obama said he thought Ayers, now a college professor and neighbor in Chicago with whom he worked on community projects several years ago, was rehabilitated.

Two high-profile supporters took sharper jabs at McCain before Obama came on stage on a sunny, cool day in front of the Ross County Courthouse.

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland told the crowd, "The McCain-Palin campaign and some of their followers unfortunately want you to be afraid of Barack Obama."

Ohio's gun owners, Strickland said, "have nothing to fear from Barack Obama." Nor do people who revere "family and faith," he said, calling Obama "a strong Christian, family man."

Internet rumors have falsely claimed that Obama is a Muslim.

Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, also criticized McCain by name, saying the GOP nominee learned his economic lessons from The Wall Street Journal's conservative editorial pages.

Obama, noting the problems that small businesses face when credit is unavailable, said his administration would provide "affordable, fixed-rate loans to small businesses," much as the government did shortly after the 2001 terrorist attacks. The plan would temporarily waive fees for borrowers and lenders, he said, so "we can unlock the credit that small firms need to move forward, pay their workers, and grow their business."

Obama planned a rally in Columbus later Friday, his fifth Ohio event in two days.

article

SO McCain goes dirty and Obama takes the high road and continues to swing the economic stick with a little "Country First" added into the mix.

McCain is in a bind. His base wants him to go dirty, but if he does that he loses the 'center' vote that doesnt want to see a smear campaign in the last weeks of the election.

If McCain doesnt go dirty his base sits on their hands on election day. They never really liked him to begin with.

Again McCain is in a bind. his only worthwhile strategy is to let his surrogates pound away on the Ayers crap while he stays on the "Who is Obama?" strategy.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Pepsei

I heard yesterday that of recent Ads, McCain was running 100% negative and Obama was running 33% negative. Think I heard it on msnbc.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
The McCain campaign is desperate and pathetic. Just like with the DOW, I find myself wondering how low they will go.

It's better to lose with honor, dignity intact for the fight on another day. Instead, the McCain campaign - and by extension, the entire Republican party - debases itself. They're like soldiers in retreat raping the peasant women.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
It is just stupid for McCain to keep on the whole ayers stuff. Yes it makes me sick the president is friends with a scumbag terrorist. McCain should be hitting Obama over his own fucking party. He should be all over dod,frank and pelosi. He should be getting the truth out there that the democrats are to blame for this crisis. It was the democrats who took money and in turn block regulation of freddie and fannie. McCain should have come out and promised to investigate everyone including those in congress and toss the crooks in jail.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: shira

It's better to lose with honor, dignity intact for the fight on another day.

there's no "another day" for McCain, though. I think he sees this as his last chance at the presidency and he's going all in.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: quest55720
It is just stupid for McCain to keep on the whole ayers stuff. Yes it makes me sick the president is friends with a scumbag terrorist. McCain should be hitting Obama over his own fucking party. He should be all over dod,frank and pelosi. He should be getting the truth out there that the democrats are to blame for this crisis. It was the democrats who took money and in turn block regulation of freddie and fannie. McCain should have come out and promised to investigate everyone including those in gongress and toss the crooks in jail.

You really believe this stuff? You really believe Sub-prime loans or Freddie/Fannie - which at most amount to perhaps $500 billion in questionable loans - can account for the multi-TRILLION-dollar sell-off taking place? You think Democrats control European and Asian markets? You think Democrats are responsible for $52 TRILLION of credit default swaps worldwide?

Democrats = evil.
Republicans = good.

Does that capsulize your world view?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

there's no "another day" for McCain, though. I think he sees this as his last chance at the presidency and he's going all in.

True. But I'm thinking that the McCain needs to put his selfish impulses aside and consider the long-term good for the Republican party.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

True. But I'm thinking that the McCain needs to put his selfish impulses aside and consider the long-term good for the Republican party.
Too late. This was his last chance and he has lost it. He's done, he'll never, ever be president.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It is just stupid for McCain to keep on the whole ayers stuff. Yes it makes me sick the president is friends with a scumbag terrorist. McCain should be hitting Obama over his own fucking party. He should be all over dod,frank and pelosi. He should be getting the truth out there that the democrats are to blame for this crisis. It was the democrats who took money and in turn block regulation of freddie and fannie. McCain should have come out and promised to investigate everyone including those in gongress and toss the crooks in jail.
This is a good post. Why doesn't McCain use the Pelosi ammo, agreed. Pelosi's approval rating with Dem's is probably close to Bush + Repub's. He should be smacking down Obama on how many times he sided with Pelosi.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005

You really believe this stuff? You really believe Sub-prime loans or Freddie/Fannie - which at most amount to perhaps $500 billion in questionable loans - can account for the multi-TRILLION-dollar sell-off taking place? You think Democrats control European and Asian markets? You think Democrats are responsible for $52 TRILLION of credit default swaps worldwide?

Democrats = evil.
Republicans = good.

There is a trigger that starts everything. In the case of today's financial problems, the ability of the GSE's to underwrite and back loans that under normal circumstances would never be granted is a direct cause.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

Democrats = evil.
Republicans = good.

On the issue of freddie and fannie damn strait it is evil=democrats and republicans=good. On other issues like the war and military spending the rolls are reversed. Both parties well suck big time. I just want to see the truth get out that it was the democrats who caused this whole fucking mess.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

why would McCain care about the republican party? all they've ever done for him is kick him in the nuts.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Here's something that applies:

Fake Balance

For the better part of a week now, the McCain campaign has been playing the barbecue cable news people like the ribs-eating, tire-swinging sycophants they are. And yet, unlike when a news story is negative about the McCain campaign, they aren't employing their phony-baloney "both sides are wicked awful" fake balance routine this time.

Senator McCain and his cowardly running mate have been accusing Senator Obama of associating with terrorists and consequently inciting violent partisans to blurt out death threats about the Democratic nominee. The most recent being, "Off with his head!" The McCain campaign has become nothing less than a well-financed whisper campaign -- a desperate, dishonorable tabloid operation on the same level as the thoroughly debunked trolls who spread lies via forwarded e-mails -- no better than the hoopleheads in this video.

Why am I so shocked? After all, this is the modern Republican Party. This is the party of Jesse Helms and Alex Castellanos (see White Hands). This is the party of the Southern Strategy. This is the party of Lee Atwater and Willie Horton. This is the party that ignored thousands of people at the Superdome in New Orleans. This is the party of "Harold! Call me!" and the party of Karl Rove and Steve Schmidt who, eight years ago, accused Senator McCain of fathering a black baby out of wedlock. This is the party of Bobby May.

It's the party that's presently banking its fortunes upon the expected racism of low-information rural white voters. Just like always. And yet, for some reason beyond comprehension, the establishment press continues to regard it as a very serious political party.

As we have observed, whenever a cable news channel reports on a gaffe or inaccuracy from either McCain or Palin, the reporter or pundit crowbars into the coverage an Obama or Biden gaffe regardless of whether or not it's an equally heinous trespass. This isn't a new procedure, of course. In 2006, for instance, at the height of the Republican "culture of corruption," whenever there was a Mark Foley story or a Duke Cunningham story or a Scooter Libby story, the press would have to counterbalance those stories with a piece about that one Democratic congressman who had a wad of cash in his mini-bar. Balance.

Yet not every news story has two equal and opposite sides. For instance, Sarah Palin is grossly out of her depth. Her painfully doofish interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric proved this. But "balancing" this story with an item about a random Senator Biden gaffe isn't balance at all, because the Palin issue isn't about careless mistakes. The Palin issue is all about a politician thrust onto the national stage who is clearly inadequate for presidential politics -- it's not about some random misstep in a rope line -- it's entirely about not knowing what the crap she's talking about.

So now the McCain campaign is inciting violence and racial hatred against Senator Obama. And cable news is discussing at great length every wildeyed mention of Hussein and terrorism and "exotic." All of it. On the surface, this McCain tactic is about connecting Senator Obama to William Ayers who, when Senator Obama was eight years old, was a member of a subversive terrorist group. It's a specious connection of mere happenstance and not any sort of ongoing friendship, as is implied by Senator McCain and Sarah Palin. For too many years now, on the national scene, the Ayers thing has been vetted and dissected and exploited and debunked. And that doesn't even include the years in which it was vetted in Illinois.

But none of that matters, right? The Republicans are losing. Their candidates have proved to be ridiculous, spasmodic and inadequate. So the Republicans are wheeling out the fear-mongering and smear attacks. Senator McCain, this week, has literally quoted the actual subject line of the most notorious of the e-mail whisper campaigns: "Who is Barack Obama?" (Here's McCain saying it. Here's the whisper e-mail.)

And, of course, this particular display of fear-mongering is obviously a thinly veiled way to underscore race. It's a way to fire up all of the Hoo-sane hooples who are grasping at anything resembling an excuse for their racially motivated hatred of Senator Obama. It's a way to paint Senator Obama as a black Muslim terrorist. All of the smears that have been repeated by Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are now being exploited by the McCain campaign. You know, because he's such an decent, honorable, mavericky guy.

Put another way, this line of attack would carry little weight if Senator Obama was white and his name was Whitey Christian "Mayo" St. Whiteguy. Or, better yet, what if he was a former Navy pilot named McCain, or a hockey mom from Alaska named Palin?

When it comes to this present fear and smear news cycle -- shocker! -- cable news appears to have jettisoned its usual attempt at balance even though Senator McCain and Sarah Palin have their very own crazy associations. Lots of them. But you'd never know it from watching cable news. Maybe it's because there isn't enough time to cover all of the McCain-Palin associations. Or maybe it's a deliberate attempt to shape a more interesting "tight race" narrative. I don't know for sure. But where we usually hear "both sides make funny gaffes," we're certainly not hearing, "Yes, there's this Ayers thing, however Palin and McCain are associated with the following..."

Just in case cable news isn't aware or doesn't have time to cover the McCain-Palin associations, let's do the list, shall we? We'll start with Palin because she's only been at this for, like, five weeks, gosh darn it you betcha, so who knows who the hell Sarah Palin really is.

What about Sarah Palin's association with the Alaskan Independence Party? The group's stated goal is to secede from the United States -- a treasonous offense. Todd Palin was a member of this party, and Sarah Palin attended at least two of their conventions and -- whoops! -- spoke to their convention as recently as this past Summer. The founder of the party, the late Joe Vogler, once condemned the American flag. Where are the questions about whether Palin loves the American flag?

What about Sarah Palin's association with the witch doctor, Pastor Muthee, who blessed Palin at her church and prayed for her "finances"? Does Sarah Palin believe in witches? Does Sarah Palin support witch hunts? Does she know who Cotton Mather was?

What about Sarah Palin's association with indicted Senator Ted "Tubes" Stevens, whose 527 organization was run by Sarah Palin?

Then there's Senator McCain.

What about Senator McCain's association with convicted Watergate burglar G. Gordon Liddy? This is the guy who, on the public airwaves, instructed his viewers about how to kill a federal agent. This is the guy who boasted that he fired a handgun at a cardboard standee of Senator Hillary Clinton. Yet Senator McCain has appeared on Liddy's radio show numerous times since these statements -- as recently as May, 2008.

What about Senator McCain's relationship with pastor Rod Parsley, who wants to engage in religious warfare?

What about Senator McCain's relationship with anti-Catholic, anti-Semitic pastor John Hagee?

Should I go on?

What about Senator McCain's relationship with his chief campaign advisor Charlie Black who said a terrorist attack would help the campaign?

What about Senator McCain's association with Shelley Shannon who is accused of shooting and wounding an abortion doctor?

What about Senator McCain's association with Charles Keating? What about his association with Freddie Mac lobbyist Rick Davis -- you know, John McCain's campaign manager? What about his association with the U.S. Council for World Freedom, whose board also included a Nazi sympathizer?

Where's the very serious cable news balance here -- especially since the crazy relationship scales are so heavily tilted against the Republican nominees? Scarborough? Anderson? Stretch? Where's the balance?

We all knew it would come down to this, but it doesn't make it any easier to digest, especially with chaos all around us (as I type this, the Dow closed down 678 points). This morning, I turned on MSNBC and for 18 consecutive minutes all I heard were "Hussein" and "terrorist" and "Ayers" and a healthy discussion about how Senator Obama was a radical. Sure, it was in the context of what the McCain campaign is currently implying, but the coverage was so insistent upon figuring out the tactic that it only served to reinforce the plot. To quote Jon Stewart from his legendary CNN appearance four years ago, "You're hurting America."

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dphantom

Democrats = evil.
Republicans = good.

There is a trigger that starts everything. In the case of today's financial problems, the ability of the GSE's to underwrite and back loans that under normal circumstances would never be granted is a direct cause.

Most subprime mortgage loans, especially the "toxic" ones that were the direct cause of this, were done without any underwriting or backing from the GSEs whatsoever.

How can you call Fannie/Freddie the "trigger that starts everything" when they just failed last month while the mortgage industry began failing 2 years ago? Did you just now wake up to what's been going on for quite a while?