'The Aviator' leads Oscar nominations with 11 nods!

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
CNN) -- "The Aviator" soared over other films at the Oscar nominations Tuesday, earning 11 nods, including best actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), best director (Martin Scorsese), best supporting actor (Alan Alda), best supporting actress (Cate Blanchett) and best picture.

"Million Dollar Baby," the story of a female boxer, and "Finding Neverland," a biography of "Peter Pan" writer J.M. Barrie, followed with seven nominations each.

Jamie Foxx earned two acting nominations: best actor for "Ray" and best supporting actor for "Collateral."

Besides "The Aviator," the nominees for best picture are "Finding Neverland," "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray" and "Sideways."

The other nominees for best actor are Don Cheadle ("Hotel Rwanda"), Johnny Depp ("Finding Neverland") and Clint Eastwood ("Million Dollar Baby").

The nominees for best actress are Annette Bening ("Being Julia"), Catalina Sandino Moreno ("Maria Full of Grace"), Imelda Staunton ("Vera Drake"), Hilary Swank ("Million Dollar Baby") and Kate Winslet ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind").

The other nominees for best supporting actor are Thomas Haden Church ("Sideways"), Morgan Freeman ("Million Dollar Baby") and Clive Owen ("Closer").

The other nominees for best supporting actress are Laura Linney ("Kinsey"), Virginia Madsen ("Sideways"), Sophie Okonedo ("Hotel Rwanda") and Natalie Portman ("Closer").

The other nominees for best director are Clint Eastwood ("Million Dollar Baby"), Taylor Hackford ("Ray"), Alexander Payne ("Sideways") and Mike Leigh ("Vera Drake").

Nominees for best original screenplay are "The Aviator," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Hotel Rwanda," "The Incredibles" and "Vera Drake."

Nominees for best adapted screenplay are "Before Sunset," "Finding Neverland," "Million Dollar Baby," "The Motorcycle Diaries" and "Sideways."

The nominees for best animated film feature are "The Incredibles," "Shark Tale" and "Shrek 2."

The 77th annual Academy Awards are scheduled for February 27. The show will air on ABC.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBI...nominations/index.html

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar
is it really that good?

It is a lot, but not the most ever given. IIRC, Chicago got 13 noms.

Miramax keeps pumping out the prestige for Disney. Too bad they are basically shutting down the unit.

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
I hated the aviator, I stopped watching. I couldn't take it anymore. AND I LOVE PLANES. I might have finished it if I cared about Howard Hughes's life, but I don't.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Stopped watching it? Either you phrased it in a strange way or... arrrrrrrr.

I haven't liked scorsese's work for a while now. I thought gangs of new york was highly overrated. I am a bit surprised that ray was nominated for best picture. I was expecting hotel rwanda in its place.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
i hate dicrapio. he doesnt deserve it

Well, he won't win anyway.

Jamie Foxx should easily carry the Best Actor award.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
No, it's not THAT good! (The Aviator)

I still need to see Sideways and Million Dollar Baby.

So I guess the Passion of the Christ vs. Fahrenheit 9/11 debate turned out to be a non-issue?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

So I guess the Passion of the Christ vs. Fahrenheit 9/11 debate turned out to be a non-issue?

When was it an issue in the first place? Fahrenheit 9/11 was disqualified from nominations many months back.

Sepen

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

I saw The Aviator, Sideways and Million Dollar Baby. I couldn't stand #1 (because of Dicrapio) I loved Sideways and thought the acting in MDB was fantastic.

Feb 10, 2000
I was really disappointed that Paul Giamatti wasn't nominated for Sideways - he was really the key to that wonderful movie.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I love how all you guys hated a movie just because of the actor that's in it. It's really funny.

Hankerton

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
I thought the Aviator was brilliantly done. Really enjoyed the movie and think it deserves all of the nominations it got.

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I like DiCaprio, and I think he's a pretty good actor in some films (What's eating Gilbert Grape, Catch me if You Can, Romeo + Juliet). I did enjoy the Aviator a lot. It's not the usual moronic 3-explosion-per-minute film to maintain the attention of the MTV generation, but for me it zipped by, even though it's quite a lengthy film.

I think it deserves all the awards it (hopefully) gets.

Why don't you people like him?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Geez, get over your prejudices with Dicaprio. Say what you want about him (his stigma started after he was in Titanic), but he's a really good actor. Can't deny that.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: pulse8
I love how all you guys hated a movie just because of the actor that's in it. It's really funny.

No kidding. I hated Dicaprio in Titanic but he did an amazing job in the Aviator. :thumbsup: for him.

Originally posted by: Hankerton
I thought the Aviator was brilliantly done. Really enjoyed the movie and think it deserves all of the nominations it got.

Agree with you (and with loic2003 & chuckywang as well) :beer:

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Geez, get over your prejudices with Dicaprio. Say what you want about him (his stigma started after he was in Titanic), but he's a really good actor. Can't deny that.

He's good. But sometimes he just doesn't fit a role that he is given. I thought he fit in well in Gangs of New York, but I didn't think he was right for Catch Me If You Can and I suspect I wouldn't think he is right in the aviator. That, combined with the fact that I haven't liked many of the recent scorsese films, is why I will avoid it until the video comes out.

I think the same is true of nicholas cage. In the right role, he is good. In the wrong role, he is ... bad.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: torpid
Originally posted by: chuckywang

He's good. But sometimes he just doesn't fit a role that he is given. I thought he fit in well in Gangs of New York, but I didn't think he was right for Catch Me If You Can and I suspect I wouldn't think he is right in the aviator. That, combined with the fact that I haven't liked many of the recent scorsese films, is why I will avoid it until the video comes out.

I think the same is true of nicholas cage. In the right role, he is good. In the wrong role, he is ... bad.

He was actually excellent in The Aviator and I am no Dicaprio fan.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I don't get why people hat DiCaprio. Is it that they're jealous because he gets all the chicks in the movies?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: KMDupont64
I hated the aviator, I stopped watching. I couldn't take it anymore. AND I LOVE PLANES. I might have finished it if I cared about Howard Hughes's life, but I don't.

So you know you don't care about Howard Hughes's life, but you went to go watch a 3 hour movie about Howard Hughes's life? Did you take the short bus to the theater? It's not like they made it a big secret what the movie was about...

cosine17

Dec 15, 2004
i think they feel obligated to give scor some credit. but the aviator wasnt that great. dicaprio isnt bad but he shouldnt win. depp in finding neverland was really good imo.

still kinda amazed eternal sunshine didnt get more. especially jim carey for best actor (sp?)

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'm disappointed that Eternal Sunshine and Collateral didn't get nominated for Best Picture.

Also, House of Flying Daggers not getting nominated for Best Foreign Film was bizarre.