The Athlon Cooling Problem

gujuguy007

Aug 9, 2001
I just purchased the retail version of Athlon Thorogh.. XP 1800..which is 1.53ghz. I was wondering if I should mount the heatsink with the waxy stuff it comes with or should I remove it and add thermal compound? I have used the waxy junk for a 1.3 processor and works fine...AMD says you can but for this processor i'm unsure since it is a bit faster. Thanks to anybody that could help.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
It works fine, I've got 20 retail AMD's at work including lots of 1800+'s and a 2100+, and no problems with those. Just remember that the included thermal patch is a one-use-only deal, so install it and leave it. If this is for your folks, that shouldn't be an issue, I don't suppose :D

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
It is very simple. AMD says that if you run that processor at its default speeds, the heatsink and pad will cool it just fine. Now if you OC, then that guarantee goes right out the window.

If you OC, I would highly recommend getting the Swiftech MCX462+, or Thermalright SLK900.

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
Originally posted by: mrman3k
It is very simple. AMD says that if you run that processor at its default speeds, the heatsink and pad will cool it just fine. Now if you OC, then that guarantee goes right out the window.

If you OC, I would highly recommend getting the Swiftech MCX462+, or Thermalright SLK900.

granted you have the mounting holes
if not, slk800 is another good option
or sk7, sk6+