The Aristocrats

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
I rented this because everyone told me how hilarious it was. I figured since it did so well at Sundance and reviews it would be decent.

After 45 minutes of not laughing at all, I turned it off. I understood what everyone thought was supposed to be funny about it, but didn't think it ACTUALLY was funny.

Anyone else or am I alone here?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: KillyKillall
I rented this because everyone told me how hilarious it was. I figured since it did so well at Sundance and reviews it would be decent.

After 45 minutes of not laughing at all, I turned it off. I understood what everyone thought was supposed to be funny about it, but didn't think it ACTUALLY was funny.

Anyone else or am I alone here?

theres another thread on this
not as good as i hoped it would be, id wanted to see most all the comedians do their own version, but a few were good. the mime was a classic.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
I thought it was interesting and there were some parts that were totally hilarious.

Overall it was abit of a disappontment.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Here's my take on it.

I thought it was horrible. But again it was different than I expected. I thought it would be 1 comedian after another telling their version of the joke. I thought it was more of a standup than a documentary.

Also I didn't know the "joke" (if you even call it one) was just all about being as gross/vulgar/repulsive/disgusting as you possibly could. I thought it would be funny. but it wasnt.

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Here's my take on it.

I thought it was horrible. But again it was different than I expected. I thought it would be 1 comedian after another telling their version of the joke. I thought it was more of a standup than a documentary.

Also I didn't know the "joke" (if you even call it one) was just all about being as gross/vulgar/repulsive/disgusting as you possibly could. I thought it would be funny. but it wasnt.

I agree with your other post 100%. I actually want my 45 minutes back.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Here's my take on it.

I agree with your other post 100%. I actually want my 45 minutes back.

Yea I turned it off after like 10 minutes. Then the next day I played some cards at my brothers house and a friend who played w/us wanted to see it. So we had it on in the background while we played cards.

About 30 minutes in, everyone agreed that we should turn it off because it was just not funny at all, just filthy.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
You're supposed to see it in a theatre, surrounded by other people. Hearing such language in the presence of others is part of the "experience." I don't think that translates well to home viewing.

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
You're supposed to see it in a theatre, surrounded by other people. Hearing such language in the presence of others is part of the "experience." I don't think that translates well to home viewing.

It didn't say that on the rental box. Had it said, "Only rent this when you have 450+ people in your personal home theater" I might have rethought the rental.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Yea I can see that.

I wonder if I woulda walked out of it in the theatre...

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
It REALLY SUCKED!

This gives notice that Professional Reviews are bought by the studio.

My wife couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes (George Carlin telling it).

I struggled to finish watching the DVD hopefully waiting for the movie to get good and to warrant those reviews on the DVD jacket. It never recuperated.

The only funny scenes was when South Park Cartman told it and when that AFLAC Duck guy did his schtic at the Hefner Friars Roast. That's it. 2 minutes of funny stuff.

Pathetic!

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I thought it was enjoyable enough but it wasn't what I expected at first. The underlying theme is that comedians think this is some sort of "insider thing" with the joke but it's obviously not that big a deal or that funny of a joke. It's more just a discussion of comedy and the theory of humor.

This movie also takes a while to get rolling as the funnier stuff is later in the movie. I thought Andy Dick was hilarious as was Robin Williams and the guy with the ventriloquist dummy had me rolling... those are the only funny parts I can remember.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

It didn't say that on the rental box. Had it said, "Only rent this when you have 450+ people in your personal home theater" I might have rethought the rental.
It doesn't say "Rent this with your fellow nerds and laugh at the technology, language, and dress" on the box of Hackers, either, but that's the only way it's enjoyable. Same with The Rocky Horry Picture Show, The Wizard of Oz + Pink Floyd, etc.

*shrug* You wasted $4. Get over it, I guess.

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004

It doesn't say "Rent this with your fellow nerds and laugh at the technology, language, and dress" on the box of Hackers, either, but that's the only way it's enjoyable. Same with The Rocky Horry Picture Show, The Wizard of Oz + Pink Floyd, etc.

ROFL HAHAHA!

What you just said was funnier than anything in the movie.

:thumbsup:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

ROFL HAHAHA!

What you just said was funnier than anything in the movie.

:thumbsup:

:laugh: And I didn't even charge ya! ;)

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
the mime was pretty good too... but yeah, i didn't laugh at all until that part...oh yeah, i laugh a little when gilbert was doing the fisting bit.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
It takes a certain kind of humor to understand it.. People that get appalled at these kind of jokes just cannot appreciate the movie.

I, however, laughed my ass off at the movie.. At the same time, my roommates all quit watching it and my girlfriend hated it. But I liked it :D

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
How many different threads about this exact same topic do we have to endure?

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hjo3
How many different threads about this exact same topic do we have to endure?
A whole bunch, with similar content, and none are funny.............. :laugh: