The anti-DRM thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Agreed, the fact that its locked now from anyone fixing it back to reality makes me think Wikipedia is taking bribes now and their admins are in on this.

Or they're getting C&D letters from some lawyers.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Rage 2 ships with Denuvo and requires a Bethesda.net account. Hurrah for "competition"! They also kept this fact hidden right up until game launch.

What's worse is no doubt future Elder Scrolls games will get the same treatment.

Until that changes, future Bethesda games are a no-buy for me.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Rage 2 ships with Denuvo and requires a Bethesda.net account. Hurrah for "competition"! They also kept this fact hidden right up until game launch.

What's worse is no doubt future Elder Scrolls games will get the same treatment.

Until that changes, future Bethesda games are a no-buy for me.

Yeah its underhanded for sure.

Ive actually stopped buying games completely for past few months. Im trying to decide if im just going to let it play out for a few years(ive got enough of a backlog to keep me busy for years)and hope that epic and friends get there heads out of there asses and stop with the ant consumer DRM, or if im going to dust off my pirate hat again after being in retirement for 2 decades.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Well they removed the DRM from Rage 2 so credit where credit's due, I guess.

But the whole thing was ineptly done given the Bethesda.net version didn't have Denuvo, so it was cracked within 24 hours. If you can't even handle that properly, how can anyone trust their data will be protected on Bethesda's servers?

zink77

Jan 16, 2012
Well they removed the DRM from Rage 2 so credit where credit's due, I guess.

But the whole thing was ineptly done given the Bethesda.net version didn't have Denuvo, so it was cracked within 24 hours. If you can't even handle that properly, how can anyone trust their data will be protected on Bethesda's servers?

The reality is all the big AAA games want their own store/drm launcher... basically the blizzard launcher is the future of AAA games. Notice how Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Destiny are all now "online games"... they want all games eventually always online/streamed to have in game stores. So that's the end of game ownership.

We already have this with doom 2016 and it's lack of matchmaking. So while denuvo "was removed" from rage, notice bethesda wants games locked to their launcher/account like quake champions.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So while denuvo "was removed" from rage, notice bethesda wants games locked to their launcher/account like quake champions.
Yep, that's pretty much how all store fronts start. HL2 locked to Steam. BF locked to Origin. Assassin's Creed locked to uPlay. Most people wouldn't use this garbage of their own free will, so these companies essentially resort to blackmail.

I've banned any game that uses digital DRM (including Denuvo and linked accounts) other than vanilla Steam. If these companies continue their anti-consumer stunts they won't get my money. I have more than enough games in my permanent library to perpetually replay without ever buying a new game again, if necessary.

Everyone should buy from GOG whenever possible because them getting more sales is good for consumer rights.

Reactions: DeathReborn

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yep, that's pretty much how all store fronts start. HL2 locked to Steam. BF locked to Origin. Assassin's Creed locked to uPlay. Most people wouldn't use this garbage of their own free will, so these companies essentially resort to blackmail.

In fairness to Valve, they haven't released any actual exclusives in years except maybe Artifact. That comes from them releasing practically nothing. At least Steam still has hundreds of other publishers on their service, many of them indie. Origin has one. Uplay has one. Epic has a few.

Steam really needs to lower their take from 30% though.

Everyone should buy from GOG whenever possible because them getting more sales is good for consumer rights.

I agree 100% with that.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Wow, that's really weird. Anyway I would think you could spoof your hardware specs to force it to generate the same key over and over again. Might make it easier to crack that way.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reactions: DeathReborn

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I cant believe people actually spend money on Denuvo protected games, i honestly find it mind blowing what some people will put up with just to play a game.

I got one for free with my video card (DMC 5). It started crashing after . . . I don't know what. Fixing it required using a cracked .exe with Denuvo stripped out of it. Pathetic.

There should be keynote speakers at every major gaming industry convention speaking out about the non-functionality of DRM solutions like Denuvo. If they want some kind of DRM, can't they at least use something that isn't a crashy kludge? It's been an industry problem for years.

zink77

Jan 16, 2012
I cant believe people actually spend money on Denuvo protected games, i honestly find it mind blowing what some people will put up with just to play a game.

We said the same about people buying mmo and steam infected half-life 2 in 2004 20 years ago.

The war on game ownership began very early in 1997 with ultima online, that was the the first shot in the long war to remove software from customers PC's.

Here's the game industry declaring victory over all the games they've stolen from us which we previously owned:

Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
Doom 2016
Tribes Ascend
Mechwarrior online

The list is endless of all the games that have been moved to mainframe - dumb client model in bits and pieces.

The whole thing started with mmo's the rebadging of regular RPG's we were getting with singleplayer + multiplayer in the same game because gamers are chimpanzee level stupid.

That's how steam even was even thought of, Valve saw the mad bucks being raked in by Ultima online, Everquest, etc, so he was planning the same crap with a long term goal with steam in 2004.

We saw even Team fotress 2 become infected and "stolen" from going you pay for the game, you own it, to f2p.

Either way the gaming public has long shown it doesn't give two redacted. Diablo 3 sold 20+million copies. A game that was previously owned by us is now controlled by blizz and the game lives and dies by the server in activisions offices.

The general public getting internet was probably the worst thing to happen to PC gaming, since most old timer were expecting PC gaming not to become a stolen game nightmare of server locked AAA games from some remote computer that modern gaming has become.

We saw the big push with ubisoft when as they finally got Assasins creed fully server locked on their end to sell single player microtransactions.

To watch this kind of garbage unfold, means the war has been lost. The public and kids are too stupid and it was lost 20 years ago since mmo's were the attack on PC RPG's to begin with.

Profanity isn't allowed in the tech areas.
You already know this.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
DRM might suffer a blow in the EU if Valve lose their appeal of the following.

French judges agreed with UFC Que Choisir's view this week, based upon a prior ruling which said that a transaction for digital goods still implies the transfer of the right of ownership. Thus Valve can not oppose the resale of a game that is bought and downloaded by the end user.

On Valve's side of the argument, its legal reps asserted that a sale is actually a 'subscription' to a product. This didn't wash with the court which sees the transaction as the purchasing of a license - and therefore falls under the 2012 European Court ruling about digital goods purchases.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
In its defense, Valve argued that Steam is a subscription service, thus its banning policy on game reselling
And that's what it's all about, folks. The real purpose of these "services/clients" is to provide a remote DRM payload that removes ownership of games.

Reactions: IEC

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
BL3's Denuvo implementation is redonkulous. If what that post was saying is correct, its like running your PC game through an emulator on the PC! naturally there is going to be a pretty serious performance hit. and the constant 2mbit upload stream? can the game be played offline at all?
i don't blame Gearbox, its all on 2K Games. i guess all they want is the initial rush of sales and perhaps later the steam version will have Denuvo stripped.
i never planned on getting BL3 anytime soon, maybe a year after release, but this madness has to be stopped.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The next installment proving Denuvo sucks 'nads:

Assassin's Creed Origins has been cracked with Denuvo removed. This is the first time a crack actually removes it rather than just bypassing, so it's a really big deal.

What's hilarious is that the UWP version of Prey is even worse than Denuvo's. This is why nobody wants cancerous UWP malware or the metrosexual app store.

Also Denuvo was officially removed from Resident Evil 2 remake a few hours ago. Sadly too late to be tested in that video. CAPCOM silently removed it from RE7 many months ago as well.

Reactions: IEC and Ranulf

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
BL3's Denuvo implementation is redonkulous. If what that post was saying is correct, its like running your PC game through an emulator on the PC! naturally there is going to be a pretty serious performance hit. and the constant 2mbit upload stream? can the game be played offline at all?
i don't blame Gearbox, its all on 2K Games. i guess all they want is the initial rush of sales and perhaps later the steam version will have Denuvo stripped.
i never planned on getting BL3 anytime soon, maybe a year after release, but this madness has to be stopped.

Yup its garbage like denuvo that has me staying clear of newer games not exclusively on steam mainly. Average person may not even notice its denuvo and upgrade their pc to "help" improve performance. Lots of new games release like trash or have trash drm and its times like this i often will wait as long as possible for a cheap sale. Not rewarding developers any more for subpar trash.

Anyone who wants to have fun paying full release price for broken console ported garbage , have at it have fun! Very sad my latest GOOD game has still been GTA V and one i don't regret even though that new Rockstar client is a bit slow to load up my game now. Luckily they decided to keep GTA V stable while i guess RD2 is broken beyond recognition in game and on the launcher for many. Another game i would have loved to get but not banging my head against a wall and rewarding half assery. Not that i hear it warrants its full price, GTA V still offers more fun for buck and it works out of the box! RD2 being that bad surprised the heck out of me too!

New industry standard i guess to release as much trash as possible, sell it for full msrp and let everyone put up with it. I got a new standard too and its called not buying trash. At least if its fixed MAYBE buy it on a sale later on.

Reactions: IEC

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
@BFG10K

Has Capcom removed it from DMC5 yet?
No, not according to its Steam page:

Untitled.png