The Anandtech COD4 PC gaming forum review

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Well keep this forum for people to list there own opinions and come up with our own review to help out those on the border of buying the game. this review might be a little ADHDish and jump all over the place but theres nothing you can do about it except yell at me on the forum and that will only make me chuckle.

I personally haven't played the singleplayer I went straight to the multi. I ranked up to gunnery sergeant so I have spent some time with the game. I've played most the new "blockbusters" that are out such as TF2 and QW. They are a ton of fun and I do enjoy them a lot. Before those games Ive pretty much played BF2 for about a year or two competitively so Ive been waiting for something to replace that. So here is what I thought about the multiplayer.

at first I was scared. Anyone who has played COD2 im sure has enjoyed it but it is overridden with skilless nade spam and spray and pray. COD4 does feel like cod2 kinda but it is different. It feels the same but its not. The maps are huge and you only get one nade. You can unlock multi nades as you go on. Which was another good point of the game. There is tons of unlocks. and the XP bonus you get makes you feel as if you are accomplishing more than just killing people. The perks are awesome. You are limited to 3 but some of them are:

When you are killed you can get a last shot with you pistal. Your immobilized on the ground but it can give you a chance to sneak in a kill. I havent done it but ive killed plenty of people trying to do it. You may think it sounds unfair but believe me its going to take skill for you to pull off the kill. Most people who laid there just ate more of my bullets as I realized whats going on.
You get "deeper impact" bullets. Im still new and notice that sometimes its much harder to kill people which could be the other perks which are more health and a more armor type of thing.

When I first played I was very confused as anyone is for the first time. What made this even worst is the action is very fast paced and everything is very shaky. Its similar to the demo when you run and when strikes come in its just ridiculous. At first I didnt like it but eventually you get used to it and its no bother.

There is one map that is ridiculous. Its very small and you spawn with the enemy. Everyone is like WTF but after you play through a series of maps you find this map quite fun. You will know what im talking about when you get in there. There isnt nade spamming but we can see how long that lasts and really the only time you have a pissed off moment is the airstrikes. A nicely placed one can kill 10+ as I saw someone do it. Also it plays some hardcore music sometimes when you accomplish a challenge or get a headshot. Its something to work for because the testosterone builds up.

The gameplay is very fun. Ive played mostly HQ and its soo much fun. the maps are brilliantly laid out. Campers cant camp as much and you get much satisfaction killing people through walls. Really there is a lot of good to say about this. I will admit at first I was scared and thought it was going to be a dud but after giving it some time i havent had this much fun in a game in a while. *think bf2 when you first played it* Everyone I know that has played it has enjoyed it as well.

Again sorry for this being poorly written but im assuming if you read it all you couldnt do any better anyways.

Cliffs:
Get COD4

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Well, you speak well. I had to agree with what you said about COD2, I'm one of those gamers that bought the game, played it once or twice and threw it in the trash. I hated COD2 for its skill-less CRAP. I'm also a huge BF2 gamer, still am. Still love every aspect of the game... I'm still building my new rig, but you bring life to some questions I had. Mainly the COD2 familiar question. Seems I may enjoy this game. I'm eagered to read more reviews though. Thanks OP

danny~!

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
Thank you gentlemen! It's a ludicrous product of a cool idea.

Thanks Activision for finally giving some cred to my friends at 1st Force... oh wait, a little late, their disbanded already! Awesome. All the Force operators are now in MSOB which is a new part of SOCOM. And who the hell let a private into a Force company anyway? Just by time in service he'd be a PFC/Lance CPL by the time he got there from boot camp, school of infantry, etc.

Anyway, besides the most unrealistic combat systems, retarded AI and general fakeness, they didn't even use a new engine! It's still the crappy COD2 engine, with a few more puffs of smoke maybe. Cheap, and why am I still wasting breath?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DannyLove
Well, you speak well. I had to agree with what you said about COD2, I'm one of those gamers that bought the game, played it once or twice and threw it in the trash. I hated COD2 for its skill-less CRAP. I'm also a huge BF2 gamer, still am. Still love every aspect of the game... I'm still building my new rig, but you bring life to some questions I had. Mainly the COD2 familiar question. Seems I may enjoy this game. I'm eagered to read more reviews though. Thanks OP

danny~!

wait, you play BF2 but think CoD2 was skilless crap? :confused:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Thanks OP, I didn't have any problem understanding you, good job.

I'm still kind of on the fence with this title though. Going to mull it over while I drink my coffee and wait for a boring meeting to begin.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: VERTIGGO
Thank you gentlemen! It's a ludicrous product of a cool idea.

Thanks Activision for finally giving some cred to my friends at 1st Force... oh wait, a little late, their disbanded already! Awesome. All the Force operators are now in MSOB which is a new part of SOCOM. And who the hell let a private into a Force company anyway? Just by time in service he'd be a PFC/Lance CPL by the time he got there from boot camp, school of infantry, etc.

Anyway, besides the most unrealistic combat systems, retarded AI and general fakeness, they didn't even use a new engine! It's still the crappy COD2 engine, with a few more puffs of smoke maybe. Cheap, and why am I still wasting breath?

Like I said in my review you really only see the engine if you look for it. I saw through COD2 and played a lot of hours and I cant play more than 1 hour before i have to go buy a new mouse and monitor. Mostly because the top players are the most skilless players. I played bf2 a lot and there is the bull there too but its def better then cod2 but it still takes a minimal amount of skill. If you suck at fps then cod4 isnt for you. You cant pull that crap you do in cod2 or bf2. To kill someone it takes skill and sure as you play more you get extra perks that give you an advantage but in reality if you do got skill it wont be a problem taking even those people out and I want to play a game where when I put in hours and hours theres something to reward me. A lot of people complain about games where theres all these unlocks and it gives an advantage to veterans and such but if you invest over 100 hours into something it should "return the favor"(not a ploy for cadillac).

I do get pissed at cod4 but its not for the normal "thats bullshit" moments of other games. Well it is because I just got owned by someone and that is bullshit!!

I enjoyed it and as the week goes on ill add more or less. Its a day old so im sure most the bullshit isnt there yet. It only takes about a week or two before people find the new gayness to exploit.