The American tax system.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
exluding the basics doesn't necessarily make a sales tax a flat tax. its most likely to be regressive or progressive. and yes, there are people who just sit on money and will take it to their graves and never spend it, where do you think inheritances come from?

I would not worry about rich poeple not spending any money, if they don't then their kids will when they die. But most importantly we should make no exceptions to the rules (that is were bureaucracy and politics come from), lets just keep the nessary basics tax free, and tax everything else including goods that are bought overseas, and then imported.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
so wealthy people walk around with $0 balances in their bank accounts? sorry, i'm not buying it

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I have performed the MOONBEAM DUCK TEST and have come to the conclusion that this is the fault of George Bush.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
ElFenix - "where do you think inheritances come from?"

From people that work hard to save something for their children. So some politician can decide that a majority of that something must be given to the government to raise the children of the other people that were too lazy to work for themselves much less save something for their kids!

Now what do we do about that???

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
My thought is simple for this matter. 100% eliminate any form of federal income tax.

Next just put a $0.03 cent tarriff on all electric bills / kw hour.

That alone would be equal to everyone, from a single person/business/corperation/non-profit agency. Of course with that approach, our goverment would become filthy rich :Q.

But just like so many other things that make too much sense, it will never be...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper
My thought is simple for this matter. 100% eliminate any form of federal income tax.

Next just put a $0.03 cent tarriff on all electric bills / kw hour.

That alone would be equal to everyone, from a single person/business/corperation/non-profit agency. Of course with that approach, our goverment would become filthy rich :Q.

But just like so many other things that make too much sense, it will never be...

that would be so completely regressive that we'd choke

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
How, it would only raise my electric bill about $10 at X-Mas time when power consumption is at it's absolute peak. And since there would be no income tax, that $10 would not be felt.