The 6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I don't agree with the whole "video games cost more to make than movies". To me, complete bullshit. A video game can be created by 1 person on 1 computer and still be excellent (Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, Many of the games on Xbox Live). However it is very difficult to create a good movie with 1 actor and 1 camera. Even with only those 2 things, your 1 actor needs to also know how to edit and also has to be able to reach an audience without tools such as Xbox Live and Steam to promote their absolutely miniscule effort.

The reality is that Movies still have a much, MUCH more uphill battle than games and anyone stating the opposite is crying bullshit to excuse their own garbage releases. Games get to invent their own actors, Movies have to hire them, that is a pretty significant difference.

Sure, games CAN cost more, we've seen collector's editions at upwards of $100 dollars. I've also seen the same for movies (you realize seeing them in a theater is not the same as purchasing them right?). Games can also cost 1 dollar for complete ownership, I see very few NEW movies in that price range.

I guess what I'm getting at is the Movie / Game comparison is extremely, extremely flawed. From the OP article and other people.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
For instance, each of the Big Three game console makers took the stage at E3 to show off their biggest games of the upcoming year. Microsoft led off with the aforementioned Modern Warfare 3, which is really Call of Duty 8 (game makers like to switch up the sequel titles so the digits don't get ridiculous). Next was Tomb Raider 10 (rebooted as Tomb Raider). Then we had Mass Effect 3, and Ghost Recon 11 (titled Ghost Recon: Future Soldier). This was followed by Gears of War 3, Forza 4 and Fable 4 (called Fable: The Journey).

and still no MechWarrior 5 :\

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I don't agree with the whole "video games cost more to make than movies". To me, complete bullshit. A video game can be created by 1 person on 1 computer and still be excellent (Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, Many of the games on Xbox Live). However it is very difficult to create a good movie with 1 actor and 1 camera. Even with only those 2 things, your 1 actor needs to also know how to edit and also has to be able to reach an audience without tools such as Xbox Live and Steam to promote their absolutely miniscule effort.

The reality is that Movies still have a much, MUCH more uphill battle than games and anyone stating the opposite is crying bullshit to excuse their own garbage releases. Games get to invent their own actors, Movies have to hire them, that is a pretty significant difference.

Sure, games CAN cost more, we've seen collector's editions at upwards of $100 dollars. I've also seen the same for movies (you realize seeing them in a theater is not the same as purchasing them right?). Games can also cost 1 dollar for complete ownership, I see very few NEW movies in that price range.

I guess what I'm getting at is the Movie / Game comparison is extremely, extremely flawed. From the OP article and other people.

You can try for animated shorts with just a small team.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
yup. me too. don't know why this is happening...too many tweens driving the industry?

Probably. They use mommy's money to buy their shitty games so they never feel like they got ripped off. It doesnt bother them if they are encouraging the industry to make crap.

Being 32 and having grown up during the transition from meh to Awesome to meh again I know what makes a game good and what makes it merely pretty. And I dont purchase crap.

The publishers are NOT looking to make guys like me happy.

Cutterhead

Jul 13, 2005
article is pretty goddamn correct except for the initial iron sights bit. that was a BIG deal back in the day, and afaik the first mod to do it was day of defeat. revolutionary no, logical yes. makes sense that modern 'tactical' shooters would use it- the problem is that ALL of them are 'tactical' now.

Thank you for this blast from the past. I was very much into Day of Defeat long before it was commercialized by Valve, and the addition of iron sights was indeed a big deal at the time. MG's were a major addition, too.

I can't even stand to play Day of Defeat: Source. It does not at all resemble or capture what the modding team was doing with the original DoD in the early 2000's. It's no coincidence that it became much more "arcadey" once it became commercial.

Mar 10, 2005
i agree completely. if i could attend e3, i'd bring a bullhorn and proclaim "fuck you! that's bullshit and i'm not paying 1 penny for it!" at nearly everything and everyone.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
I don't necessarily agree that gaming=movies either, but big name games=big name movies. you get the same production quality...they look cool, but that's it. It's like Transformers every other year and the movies are just terrible, but millions flock to it each time a new on comes out. Now there are seriously excellent movies made every year for not very much money. Seems like the best games come from the same pedigree...upstart publishers. The titans have no soul left.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011

Steve Miller produced his own music albums in his basement and played every instrument himself. Likewise the "Blair Witch Project" wasn't exactly an expensive Hollywood production requiring a lot of special effects and any schmuck can throw a few handfuls of paint at a canvas and produce the next masterpiece. Video games are no different except unlike some arts they are much more popular.

The comparison is not flawed, it is the denial that this applies to every art known to man that is flawed.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
well you can argue about the merits of Blair Witch as a great movie vs some schmuck (like for instance Jackson Pollock?). Again, I don't see a perfect comparison (which frankly is pretty impossible), but neither do I deny the visible similarities.

edit: I'm in no way saying Jackson Pollock is a schmuck, I never met the man, I admire his art though! Simply disagreeing that artists are all schmucks (in English "dicks").

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
well you can argue about the merits of Blair Witch as a great movie vs some schmuck (like for instance Jackson Pollock?). Again, I don't see a perfect comparison (which frankly is pretty impossible), but neither do I deny the visible similarities.

edit: I'm in no way saying Jackson Pollock is a schmuck, I never met the man, I admire his art though! Simply disagreeing that artists are all schmucks (in English "dicks").

My own daughter is half Jewish and an artist and I never said all artists are schmucks... you schmuck!

Perfection is for those who can't handle reality. Its a nice ideal to strive for when it actually produces results, but otherwise a waste of time. If you want perfect comparisons I suggest you see a priest or a politician.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
whoa, my comments weren't an attack on your views at all...just an observation. No offense intended. And I never said I was looking for a perfect comparison...I agree with most of what you said.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I used to play FPS games until BF2. At that point nothing changed and I got bored. In fact I always used to wonder why anyone would buy these new games when you could play America's Army for free (which back then was pretty darn good - not sure about today). Better graphics some would say but meh it's the same old shit.