The 25 Most Commonly Misspelled Words *With poll*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What score did you get?

• 1-5

• 6-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 20-26

• Perfect score!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
14/27.

I never claimed to be a good speller. Thankfully technology has gotten rid of our need to memorize the spelling of most words. It isn't like english makes a whole ton of sense as far as spelling goes.

Isn't it like the only one of the Romance languages that doesn't at least attempt to follow phonetic rules.

Oh and the last two Q's about how British people spell shit were kinda cheap.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Holy crap! I consider myself to be a decent speller but only got 19. And I was sure of all my answers.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Spelling is never my strong point. I think though, this doesn't highlight problems in teaching spelling, but it highlights problems with the words themselves.

Take one of the easier words on that list: deductible. It means that the item is "-ible" to be deducted. It really should be updated to the English "-able" to be deducted. Why should we be stuck in the Latin past with words that people refuse to update?

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm guessing most people don't know how to pronounce prerogative. That was one of the easiest ones in the quiz.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm guessing most people don't know how to pronounce prerogative. That was one of the easiest ones in the quiz.
Large portions of the population use the same pronunciation used in movies and music: puh-rog-uh-tiv. If you use that pronunciation, then you'll never know there is an extra 'r' in the word. There is another equally acceptable pronunciation, pri-rog-uh-tiv, where you would know the spelling with the extra 'r'. But, honestly, I hear far more people say it without that 'r'.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
prerogative was the only one that really 'got' me, otherwise i just fucked up a couple double letter ones, and the stupid british stuff.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Liaison - didn't know that one, because I don't think I've ever had to use that word for any reason.

Also, I haven't had much cause to learn British English spellings, old chap.

19/27. I am disappoint. :(

Embarrass - accidentally skipped the question
Foreword - forgot to check the last half of the word - the "a" in "ward" got me.
Inadvertant - oops, I suck
Indispensible - dammitall
Liaison - even after mulling over it, I forgot to answer
Occasion - accidentally skipped the question
Perserverance - nuts
Supercede - (supersede) - never seen it spelled without a "c".

Man, that was just sad.

I only know it because of the Britney Spears cover.

:(
Star Trek for me. Captain's prerogative.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Prerogative got me too, as well as a few others. As I get older I find my spelling actually declines, sadly.

Based on the internet I think they should have included the word "definitely" since I see people type it "definately" waaaaay too often.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
26/27, missed #24. Supersede? That still doesn't look right. I've always thought it was supercede.

Damn you Firefox spell checker! It just underlined "supercede" as being incorrect. Oh well.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
26/27, missed #24. Supersede? That still doesn't look right. I've always thought it was supercede.

Damn you Firefox spell checker! It just underlined "supercede" as being incorrect. Oh well.

I thought it was supercede also. You really got prerogative right? I would still swear it's perogative.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Arggh, 23/27. Horrible. :( I got the American vs. British wrong, I generally do not know which are which, but I typically use the British spelling. Supersede? Really? I had no idea and it does still look weird.

KT

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Yeah, I did much worse than I expected. 16...a couple were stupid mis-clicks though.

I think I'd get most of them right if I were typing them out, but when I see the similar spellings grouped together I start second guessing myself.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I thought it was supercede also. You really got prerogative right? I would still swear it's perogative.

Yep, I got prerogative right. That was one of the easiest for me. The British spellings were pretty simple - the British are pretty inefficient folks. They refuse to give up extra unnecessary letters in words such as "colour."

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yep, I got prerogative right. That was one of the easiest for me. The British spellings were pretty simple - the British are pretty inefficient folks. They refuse to give up extra unnecessary letters in words such as "colour."

Or the Americans are just lazy and can't be bothered to put the proper number of letters in the word. :p

KT