The 2023 Games Thread - What Will You Play This Year?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Alright, gonna come back and edit this list a bit, but 12 games to try in 2023:

Hades (Rogue-lite) (Completed)
Vampire Survivors (Walking Sim)(Completed)
The Witcher 3 GOTY (ARPG)(Completed)
Hogwarts Legacy (ARPG)(Completed)
Wolfenstein: Youngbloods (FPS)(Completed)
The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (ARPG)(Completed)

Jedi: Fallen Order (Soulslike)(Completed)
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (ARPG)(Completed)
Journey (Walking Sim)(Completed)
Quake (FPS)(Completed)
Sleeping Dogs (GTA-Like)(Completed)
Alan Wake (TPS)(Completed)

Fallout 4 (ARPG)(Currently Playing)
Darksiders Genesis (ARPG/TPS)(Currently Playing)

Alien: Isolation (Survival Horror)(Paused)
Dawn of War III (RTS)(Paused)
Pillars of Eternity(CRPG)(Paused)
Prey 2017 (Shock-Like)(Paused)
Blasphemous (Metroidvania)(Paused)
Antichamber (Puzzle)(Paused)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided (Shock-Like)(Paused)

Grim Dawn (Diablo-like)
Company of Heros (RTS)
The Banner Saga 3 (TBS)
Disco Elysium (RPG)

By no means a complete or final list, just a commitment to if nothing else try these twelve games this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteNoise

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Maybe BG3; not sure - maybe i won'[t play anything this year. Hum. Maybe I'll play something - who knows...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Alright, gonna come back and edit this list a bit, but 12 games to try in 2023:

Hades (Rogue-lite) (Currently Playing)
Antichamber (Puzzle)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided (Shock-like)
Dawn of War III (RTS)
Witcher 3 (RPG)
Grim Dawn (Diablo-like)
Prey (Shock-Like)
Company of Heros (RTS)
The Banner Saga 3 (TBS)
Jedi Fallen Order (Hack n Slash)
Blasphemous (Metroidvania)
Disco Elysium (RPG)

By no means a complete or final list, just a commitment to if nothing else try these twelve games this year.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh didn't know they were doing a CoH 3! Loved the other releases in the series. Will definitely be checking that one out.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have been playing BG3 since day one of early access. The whole game gets released this year (June currently), so looking forward to playing the full game!

I might end up playing Hogwarts Legacy, as its looking pretty good. But need to wait for reviews.

The new Jedi game comes out later this year. But I think I will wait for that to go on sale. Its not a day one play for me.

Diablo 4 is definitely a wait and see. I have been playing Diablo games on day once since Diablo 1. But looking like I am going to not do that with this one. Blizzard is such a CF right now, I have no trust an there being quality in anything they release.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I have been playing BG3 since day one of early access. The whole game gets released this year (June currently), so looking forward to playing the full game!

I might end up playing Hogwarts Legacy, as its looking pretty good. But need to wait for reviews.

The new Jedi game comes out later this year. But I think I will wait for that to go on sale. Its not a day one play for me.

Diablo 4 is definitely a wait and see. I have been playing Diablo games on day once since Diablo 1. But looking like I am going to not do that with this one. Blizzard is such a CF right now, I have no trust an there being quality in anything they release.
I absolutely loved BG2 - probably beaten it 10x now. But as much as I wanted to support BG3, I am waiting for a finished product.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Still playing Elden Ring. I've completed it 10 times already and recently started an 11th game. Eagerly awaiting DLC.

I have played God of War: Ragnorok twice thru, awaiting new game+ on it. Also redid witcher 3, but damn if I don't always go back to elden ring. I was the same way with Skyrim.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I absolutely loved BG2 - probably beaten it 10x now. But as much as I wanted to support BG3, I am waiting for a finished product.

The finished game comes out in August. It has come a LONG way in early access. The amount of detail is crazy. And pretty much any situation has a dozen ways to solve, just like you would expect when playing the table top game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Hades is a weird game. It got my interest early, and now I'm 30 hours in with 4 clears under my belt and pretty solid understanding of the game mechanics and the game just sort of keeps perpetually unfolding in front of me. There are whole portions of the game that haven't even been introduced (the locked keepsakes at the bottom of the chest, what to do with the bottles of super ambrosia, secret weapons aspects, "companion" quests for characters like Orpheus and Achillies, new Contractor upgrades, etc).

Its insane how Supergiant have what feels like a 200 hour game packed into 20-30 minute runs. I have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm saying 50 hours or the Main Story achievement is complete, whichever comes first, before I'll start firing up alternate games.

Reactions: Stuka87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Hades is a weird game. It got my interest early, and now I'm 30 hours in with 4 clears under my belt and pretty solid understanding of the game mechanics and the game just sort of keeps perpetually unfolding in front of me. There are whole portions of the game that haven't even been introduced (the locked keepsakes at the bottom of the chest, what to do with the bottles of super ambrosia, secret weapons aspects, "companion" quests for characters like Orpheus and Achillies, new Contractor upgrades, etc).

Its insane how Supergiant have what feels like a 200 hour game packed into 20-30 minute runs. I have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm saying 50 hours or the Main Story achievement is complete, whichever comes first, before I'll start firing up alternate games.

- Wow ok that snowballed fast. 35 hours in and I got my 10 clears and completed the main story. There is obviously still a ton of additional content to go but I think I'm gonna call it for the moment and play between other games to get the epilogue for however long it takes.

I generally dislike the rogue/like/lite genre as a whole but Hades was in typical Supergiant fashion basically the pinnacle of the genre with some of the best gameplay/story consonance I have ever seen.

Supergiant games reminds me of an early Blizzard Entertainment. Its gonna really hurt my soul when they inevitable cash out one day.

Reactions: Stuka87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, played some Antichamber and oh my god that game is a head trip and really not what I'm looking for right now after a game like Hades / Before Bed.

Fired up Vampire Survivors as a little stop gap game and its exactly what the doctor ordered after a hectic day at work.

Literally all you do is move the character, but its also so much more than that. Feels like an arcade cabinet that would have taken all the quarters back in the early 90's.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Starfield (Day one for me)
Star Wars Jedi Survivor (Day one for me)
Baldur's Gate 3 (Already own it, just waiting for full release)
Dead Island 2 (Will wait for reviews)
Son's of the forest (Will wait for sale)
The Day before (looks like it will actually release, will wait on reviews)
Star Trek Resurgence
Stalker 2

Games I really look forward to that could release this year:
Nightingale
Atlas Fallen
Dune Awakening

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Finished Gears Tactics. Really enjoyed the different classes and builds available, but the endgame appears to be just more side missions, so i called it after beating the story.

Onto Ruined King: A League of Legends Story (Battle Chasers: LoL version. and i LOVED battle chasers)

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Vampire Survivors as been an assload of fun but it's starting to lose my attention. I've gotten the yellow sign and am on my last Relic.

Much like Hades the game just keeps unfolding in front of me and while the core gameplay is a ton of fun despite it's simplicity I'm starting to crave something with a narrative.

Might snag that last Relic, maybe go for the "final boss" and put a lid on it. Keep it installed to fire up during some gaming downtime.

Next up I'm looking at one of the following:

Mankind Divided
Prey (2017)
Fallout 4
The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition
Disco Elysium

Leaning heavily toward Witcher 3 but I know it'll be a helluva time commitment.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I finished up Kena: Bridge of Spirits (on PC). Its a really good game. Its basically a Souls-like / Zelda mashup. And visually its one of the best looking games I have ever played. Not many games really make use of an HDR display, but this game certainly does.

The story itself is actually kind of dark, but in a subdued way.

I got it on sale during the winter sale on steam, and was well worth the price.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Definitely looking forward to Homeworld 3

keep playing 2042 and Apex legends.

probably Dead Space

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Have started a character in Hogwarts Legacy that I'm deliberately playing slow to make sure I don't overtake my wife's character in either level or story progression.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Have started a character in Hogwarts Legacy that I'm deliberately playing slow to make sure I don't overtake my wife's character in either level or story progression.

I have been playing it like I play a lot of other RPGs, in that I do only side quest until I have to do a main story quest (gold badge) to get more side quest. As a result, I have almost every single spell and almost level 30 and I am hardly into the main story quest.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Given I have the time...

• Stalker 2 (maybe Stalker 2006 for funsies beforehand, if it'll run)
  • Dead Space remake, maybe summer sale?
  • SW Jedi Survivor
  • Diablo IV

I'm not sure if Starfield will actually make it out this year, but I'll be checking that out when the time comes.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Given I have the time...

• Stalker 2 (maybe Stalker 2006 for funsies beforehand, if it'll run)
  • Dead Space remake, maybe summer sale?
  • SW Jedi Survivor
  • Diablo IV

I'm not sure if Starfield will actually make it out this year, but I'll be checking that out when the time comes.
They posted a release date the other day - vaguely i think it was sept 7 but you will have to check.