The 2020 Toyota Supra

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Hubba hubba :hearteyes:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota-supra-is-here-and-it-looks-glorious-1831658448

bi4fdsyc60xcmmq3q31s.png

iab3oafr8ayw3chxwp1y.png

yr4auootmilqgxtwi9cp.png

spf5rdoo1d53zv4l1xus.png

aqlvrzucfhrgf4nkgihi.png

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It's BMW Z4 with a custom body work, suspension tweaks and Toyota Entune.

Buy the BMW if you want a manual, bigger trunk and comfortable ride combined with a better lease deal.
Buy the Supra if you want to say you own a Supra, you don't mind driving an automatic and you like the styling.

6-8 years from now, sell it before the typical BMW surprises pop up and you got dump cash replacing the radiator or "this solenoid" or "that solenoid" and pulling the "It's been completely reliable....just make sure you spend 1K to replace the water pump every 50K and be sure to...etc etc etc.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It's BMW Z4 with a custom body work, suspension tweaks and Toyota Entune.

Buy the BMW if you want a manual, bigger trunk and comfortable ride combined with a better lease deal.
Buy the Supra if you want to say you own a Supra, you don't mind driving an automatic and you like the styling.

6-8 years from now, sell it before the typical BMW surprises pop up and you got dump cash replacing the radiator or "this solenoid" or "that solenoid" and pulling the "It's been completely reliable....just make sure you spend 1K to replace the water pump every 50K and be sure to...etc etc etc.

It's only available in automatic?! :oops:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Looks wise I like it but like the 86 took way too long to develop but this gets more of a pass because Toyota and BMW are very different manufacturers, unlike Toyota and Subaru (Toyota actually owns a large part of Subaru/Fuji Industries). Overall it doesn't look quite as svelte as the 86 and looks to sit a bit taller (low CoG on 86 is of course because of boxer).

I just wish the engine was all Toyota because, as others have pointed out, BMW parts are more expensive but I'm sure Toyota will honor all warranty work. The 1JZ and 2JZ are great motors and could have been used to design and engineer a more modern engine but blah blah blah lots of things could have been done. There will be the inevitable tuners who to GTE swaps anyway so I guess that point is void. I hear good things about BMW I6 engines though.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I also won't own one because no manual but I think that is due in part of BMW offering less and less transmission options. If the Z4 was offered in the 6MT and this wasn't then I'd be pretty annoyed.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It's only available in automatic?! :oops:

By the time that comes, the Munich-based team will probably be working on variants such as the aforementioned four-banger; a targa roof is still possible, and there may yet be a manual transmission, although the latter is unlikely with the six because of concerns over shift quality with such a torque-rich engine.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2020-toyota-supra-prototype-drive

The Supra, which will be offered only as a coupe, will initially come with a BMW-sourced turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission. Output is expected to be somewhere between 330 and 380 horsepower, depending on which rumors you believe, and will be routed through the rear wheels. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine may join the lineup later on, and—we hope—a manual transmission may be coming later as well.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a24443721/2020-toyota-supra-photos-info/
They "may" offer a stick when they release a version with BMW's 2.0 turbo later on down the line when sales start take a dive and they need to hit a lower price point.

Reactions: NutBucket

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Looks wise I like it but like the 86 took way too long to develop but this gets more of a pass because Toyota and BMW are very different manufacturers, unlike Toyota and Subaru (Toyota actually owns a large part of Subaru/Fuji Industries). Overall it doesn't look quite as svelte as the 86 and looks to sit a bit taller (low CoG on 86 is of course because of boxer).

I just wish the engine was all Toyota because, as others have pointed out, BMW parts are more expensive but I'm sure Toyota will honor all warranty work. The 1JZ and 2JZ are great motors and could have been used to design and engineer a more modern engine but blah blah blah lots of things could have been done. There will be the inevitable tuners who to GTE swaps anyway so I guess that point is void. I hear good things about BMW I6 engines though.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I also won't own one because no manual but I think that is due in part of BMW offering less and less transmission options. If the Z4 was offered in the 6MT and this wasn't then I'd be pretty annoyed.

To me, as silly as it is, knowing that it's only going to be available in automatic makes it seem like a toy car...it's not really a Supra, it's a BMW, it doesn't have a stick-shift transmission option, only automatic, etc. Sounds more & more like just another BMW with window dressing.

I feel like it definitely rips off some styling ques from other cars:

yr4auootmilqgxtwi9cp.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, body-style aside, just compare the shape of the side window:

spf5rdoo1d53zv4l1xus.png

310692b6ba858237beb43ccd994f5520.jpg

aqlvrzucfhrgf4nkgihi.png

RdhZ42D.jpg

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I would mostly agree, but lots of cars take styling cues from competing makers and design teams... just kind of how the industry works. You see it a lot with sports cars because successful ones, styled aggressively, take on a lot of the same overall shapes and sizes. The little details get picked up on too by automakers and you start to see designs getting adapted here and there.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I would mostly agree, but lots of cars take styling cues from competing makers and design teams... just kind of how the industry works. You see it a lot with sports cars because successful ones, styled aggressively, take on a lot of the same overall shapes and sizes. The little details get picked up on too by automakers and you start to see designs getting adapted here and there.

Yeah, there's only so many shapes you can do. And overall, the entire aesthetics industry shifts from curved to edgy to curved every few years anyway:

mdalyga-2-.jpg

69d1358977787-stingray-corvette-renderings-hre-wheels-all-color-options-arcticwhite.jpeg

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Jalopnik images are low res.
Looks like someone shot some night photos with a phone. Lots of blotchiness, no smooth gradients.

** Ok, judging by the .gifs on the Jalopnik site, I'd say these photos are frame-grabs from a video.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Jalopnik images are low res.
Looks like someone shot some night photos with a phone. Lots of blotchiness, no smooth gradients.

** Ok, judging by the .gifs on the Jalopnik site, I'd say these photos are frame-grabs from a video.

They were screenshots from an "accidental" tweet from Toyota Mexico. Official unveiling is Monday, so we should have some high-res pretty pictures coming soon!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
To me, as silly as it is, knowing that it's only going to be available in automatic makes it seem like a toy car...it's not really a Supra, it's a BMW, it doesn't have a stick-shift transmission option, only automatic, etc. Sounds more & more like just another BMW with window dressing.

I feel like it definitely rips off some styling ques from other cars:

yr4auootmilqgxtwi9cp.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, body-style aside, just compare the shape of the side window:

spf5rdoo1d53zv4l1xus.png

310692b6ba858237beb43ccd994f5520.jpg

aqlvrzucfhrgf4nkgihi.png

RdhZ42D.jpg

1994_Toyota_Supra_Twin_Turbo_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

VDLjGro.png

Reactions: Kaido

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
$55K for this - I will not be surprised when this becomes a major sales flop just like the FRS. I understand its not a volume car, but still, I just dont see the appeal unless you're a total Toyota fanboi.

Reactions: Herr Kutz

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
$55K for this - I will not be surprised when this becomes a major sales flop just like the FRS. I understand its not a volume car, but still, I just dont see the appeal unless you're a total Toyota fanboi.

FRS wasn't really a major sales flop, especially if you attribute BRZ sales since both Toyota and Subaru profit from either vehicle being sold in the US market. Like any limited production car, sales numbers just can't be compared to your Corollas and Camrys. I will however agree that the price on a 'new Supra' base model is very steep... but you can blame that on BMW.

...Toyota as their manuals are a pain to drive.

How so exactly? Keep in mind this isn't a '96 Civic DX...

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Auto is better bet for Toyota as their manuals are a pain to drive.

I own a Toyota with a manual and I do not have any complaints.
in 30+ years of driving countless vehicles, I can't recall any Toyota with a manual that was a pain to drive or that had characteristics that would result in make it stick out in a negative light.
This is also the first time I've ever heard someone make a blanket statement about Toyota manual transmissions.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The manual Toyotas I've driven were admittedly older 1980s vintage but they all had very stiff, unforgiving shifting. Stomp clutch all the way to the floor and jam the stick into gear.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The manuals in the small trucks seemed fine for the application. The manual they used to put in the Camry was terrible. Vague shifter and the clutch had no feel.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The manuals in the small trucks seemed fine for the application. The manual they used to put in the Camry was terrible. Vague shifter and the clutch had no feel.

I drive a 02 Camry with the manual. No complaints. Way better than the Mazda transmissions in the Flat Rock products I drove during the 90's and those weren't that bad at all.
I have been driving manual for decades and my first manual was a mid 80's Ford Tempo so maybe my standards are so low nothing fazes me.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I guess it's all relative. I'm used to Honda products which are known to be quite good. Subaru is usually good too.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
People waited 22 years for a rebadged BMW Z4 in a different package? And the base price is going to be around $55k?

I get that it's not supposed to be a massive volume seller, but this just sounds like Toyota couldn't be bothered to put in any ounce of effort for this car. Very disappointing.

Reactions: HarryLui

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
People waited 22 years for a rebadged BMW Z4 in a different package? And the base price is going to be around $55k?

I get that it's not supposed to be a massive volume seller, but this just sounds like Toyota couldn't be bothered to put in any ounce of effort for this car. Very disappointing.

That's pretty much the general consensus. Looks cools, but it's just a BMW Z2 with a different body, less horsepower, and no manual transmission. As a car, I really like it...as a Supra, they dropped the ball. I think a lot of enthusiasts are super disappointed right now :(