The 2014 Formula1 Thread!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
With regard to colors: It's a bit bizarre, that McLaren has stuck with Mercedes-silver for another season. I wonder how easy it will be to tell those two apart.
But then the Mercedes star is also still proudly affixed to the front...

Hopefully for 2015 they go back to the classic red on white livery, to celebrate the return of Honda.

Mar 10, 2005
With regard to colors: It's a bit bizarre, that McLaren has stuck with Mercedes-silver for another season. I wonder how easy it will be to tell those two apart.
But then the Mercedes star is also still proudly affixed to the front...

Hopefully for 2015 they go back to the classic red on white livery, to celebrate the return of Honda.

red on white was marlboro cigarettes, mclaren was orange

tumblr_modtzaRRJH1r5d8mfo1_1280.jpg

mclarenorange01.jpg

2939423835_995a40f270.jpg

still, no idea why they kept the silver (originally "pewter" from west cigarettes) instead of their classic clothes

Last edited:

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
“I really like the idea (of an orange livery),” Martin Whitmarsh said last year.

“If we’re lucky enough to find a sponsor who likes orange, you could see that colour again in Formula One,” he added.

...well, there's Orange, who were title sponsor for Arrows in 2001 or so, who did an orange livery. Of course, that was before they were bought by Mannesmann and ultimately France Telecom. It's hard to imagine a largely state-owned business to invest in F1, even though it's a huge international brand that could actually benefit from the marketing. And they'd take over where Vodafone left off, rubbing it right in :D

One can only dream....

Anyway, the White and Red was Marlboro, but that's what they had, back when they had Honda on board. The Lotus team doesn't get any JPS money either, and still races their livery, simply because it's retro and cool :D

Of course the Lotus team has the problem of being at the same time the coolest team on the grid (well, at least last season) and the one with the least well sorted finances :-/

And now they've lost Raikkönnen, Boullier, and probably a bunch of techs as well. Who knows what Grosjean will do, with Boullier no longer around to micro-manage him.

I'm hoping that the Enstone team gets bought by another automobile conglomerate again. VW is probably out of the question, they already run two WRC and two ILMS entries, with Audi, Skoda, VW and Porsche, and who knows what else. But a Bugatti branded F1 team would be quite epic.

BMW is probably happy sticking to DTM and GT2, and not try F1 for another decade.
The French are all government owned, (even more so than VAG) so, I don't see a return of Renault, and PSA does WRC and just pulled out of Le Mans.

Pagani might be interested, as their roadcar know-how and tooling is useful for F1, and inversely, they might acquire some useful resources for their roadcar R&D from the F1 team. But they may look at how that went for Spyker, and decide it's not worth it.

This basically leaves us with US and Indian/Chinese brands -- the Japanese brands only just got out, with Honda now carefully testing the waters again, and the Korean brands can't really afford to spend money going racing, even though Hyundais are in WRC now.

Ford should be giving F1 a long hard look. Outside of WRC, there's not much visibility to the brand in international motorsports. Tata would probably rather have a look at Force India, but maybe the new owners of Saab would enjoy taking the brand racing :D

Mar 10, 2005
i would guess VW is among the least likely to buy enstone. with all the racing they do, it's all in-house work. i doubt the bugatti name will ever race again

Atty

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
I am very interested in what Red Bull has come up with. I can't wait to see all these different designs race. I wonder if all this work each team has put in to design completely different noses will get them all to relatively the same spot?

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I wonder what those winglets on the Merc's nose do.

Also, the Red Bull doesn't look too bad.

Edit: Ah, they moved the front camera pods up. Still doesn't explain why they need to be up there.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
These have to be a joke right? How on earth could the front jack work with that protrusion sticking one foot out in front of the wing?

Mar 10, 2005
These have to be a joke right? How on earth could the front jack work with that protrusion sticking one foot out in front of the wing?

the jack could easily go around it. also, the whole purpose of the dicks are crash structures, so it's conceivable (maybe not desirable) to jack the car by its dick.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
i would guess VW is among the least likely to buy enstone. with all the racing they do, it's all in-house work. i doubt the bugatti name will ever race again

Indeed. They already have Audi in DTM and LeMans, Porsche and Lambo in sportscars, Seat in touring cars, Skoda in rallying, VW in rallying.
Not like they are hurting for racing to spend money on.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
So, apparently there are issues with the Renault Power Unit, while the Mercedes one runs very well so far, and the Ferrari one doesn't pose too many issues.
First testing went pretty grimly for RB and the other Renault teams, with Rosberg setting more laps alone, than all the Renault teams together. Maybe that's the reason Enstone didn't even show up - they may still retain closer ties to Renault than the others, and saw that there was no point in going to Jerez, if you only set 5 laps.