The 13.2 Billion Year Old Star

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nyati13
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: StrangerGuy
There are very small stars that can continue shining for 1 trillion years.

and very big ones that don't even last a billion :)
for example, alpha Ori (Betelgeuse) will possibly go supernova in anytime from now to the next thousand years, opinions differing between different scientists. It's around 500 light years away, so it could be dead and we are just awaiting the great splash of supernova light to become visible to us. Or it hasn't even done so yet and we are awhile away. Regardless, its an incredibly large star that has lived very shortly and most scientists view it as being in the last stages of life, in its carbon burning stage of life. it's 10 million years old by the way.
also, they do have a few disputes suggesting it may live for quite a while longer than 1000 years.

The cool thing about alpha Ori is that there is a possibility (albeit slim) that it will go off in our lifetime, and if that happens it will be so bright that even a moonless night will be bright enough to read by. This will last several weeks, even months.

That would be so cool. Would bring out the nutcases though, not as badly as say a thousand years ago, but I think a few Mass Suicide Cults would, well, Mass Suicide as a result.

And that's a bad thing, how? exactly?..... :D

I see no downside to losing a few screwball nutcases.....

hehe, good point.

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070510_oldest_star.html

I don't know about you guys, but stuff like this amazes me. How that star could still be burning strong after 13 BILLION years is astounding!

the LIGHT is reaching us now...doesn't mean it's still burning

It is in the Milky Way, so it's at most 50,000 light years away. So it might have already burned out, but that would only knock 50,000 years at most off of its estimated age.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
Small stars live longer. Lots of stars have lifetimes longer than the age of the universe.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Compared to our 12 thousand year old sun, that's spectacular.

I cant tell if your joking or not. Our sun is close to 5 billion years old.

I don't know about you guys, but stuff like this amazes me. How that star could still be burning strong after 13 BILLION years is astounding!

It is in the Milky Way, so it's at most 50,000 light years away. So it might have already burned out, but that would only knock 50,000 years at most off of its estimated age.

More than that. The Milky Way is ~100k light years in diameter. Our solar system is ~28k Ly from the center, so it could be at most ~72k ly away.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: zylander

I cant tell if your joking or not. Our sun is close to 5 billion years old.

More than that. The Milky Way is ~100k light years in diameter. Our solar system is ~28k Ly from the center, so it could be at most ~72k ly away.

We are counting in billions here...I don't think a couple of thousands could matter ;)

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
Small stars live longer. Lots of stars have lifetimes longer than the age of the universe.

I thought the universe included everything. How can there be anything older than the universe?

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by: logic1485

I thought the universe included everything. How can there be anything older than the universe?

haha, I dont know how I missed that one. How can there be anything older than 13.7 billion years?

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
He said they could have life times longer than the age of the Universe, meaning they may be, say, 10 billion years old now but will burn for another 10 billion. At least I hope that's what he means.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Employing techniques similar to those used to date archeological remains here on Earth, scientists have learned that a metal-poor star in our Milky Way called HE 1523 is 13.2 billion years old-just slightly younger than 13.7 billion year age of the universe. Our solar system is estimated to be only about 4.6 billion years old.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night.
So we are looking at what may have come out of the first few days of Genesis. God said let there be light and BANG it happened!

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Kind of funny that human civilization is also 12 thousand years old too.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: StrangerGuy
There are very small stars that can continue shining for 1 trillion years.

and very big ones that don't even last a billion :)
for example, alpha Ori (Betelgeuse) will possibly go supernova in anytime from now to the next thousand years, opinions differing between different scientists. It's around 500 light years away, so it could be dead and we are just awaiting the great splash of supernova light to become visible to us. Or it hasn't even done so yet and we are awhile away. Regardless, its an incredibly large star that has lived very shortly and most scientists view it as being in the last stages of life, in its carbon burning stage of life. it's 10 million years old by the way.
also, they do have a few disputes suggesting it may live for quite a while longer than 1000 years.

The red giants aren't really the short lived ones. They used to be main sequence stars that evolved off to become red giants after moderately long lifetimes.

It's the blue supergiants which only last a few million years. Sort of like Eta Carinae.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: logic1485

In the same way that a proton's half-life is many many times longer than the age of the Universe.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
He said they could have life times longer than the age of the Universe, meaning they may be, say, 10 billion years old now but will burn for another 10 billion. At least I hope that's what he means.

Ya I totally misread what he typed. For some reason I thought he said that there are stars out there that are older than the universe.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Googer

Employing techniques similar to those used to date archeological remains here on Earth, scientists have learned that a metal-poor star in our Milky Way called HE 1523 is 13.2 billion years old-just slightly younger than 13.7 billion year age of the universe. Our solar system is estimated to be only about 4.6 billion years old.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

So we are looking at what may have come out of the first few days of Genesis. God said let there be light and BANG it happened!

See, there's no reason to try to answer the questions of the universe. There's the answer right there...:roll:

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I don't know about how fast you can build a star, but it took me a long ass time. I guess if you were some sort of Prince you could just go around grabbing everythign in sight and just toss it up in the air.

ROFL!!!

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
How could we actually know it's still burning if the light from when it was still burning is just reaching us now? I mean, doesn't it take like a million years for the light that the star's emitting now (if it's still doing that) to reach us?

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Vegitto
How could we actually know it's still burning if the light from when it was still burning is just reaching us now? I mean, doesn't it take like a million years for the light that the star's emitting now (if it's still doing that) to reach us?
From earlier in the thread:

So 13,000,000,000 - 50,000 is still a long ass time.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

21.3 feet in diameter mirror

woah...

The successor to the Hubble is claiming to be able to look to the beginings of the universe. The upcoming years could be potentially exciting times ..
Launches in 2013

Beginnings? Does that mean it will allow us to see such a huge distance that stuff from big bang is still happening?

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

21.3 feet in diameter mirror

woah...

The successor to the Hubble is claiming to be able to look to the beginings of the universe. The upcoming years could be potentially exciting times ..
Launches in 2013

Beginnings? Does that mean it will allow us to see such a huge distance that stuff from big bang is still happening?

:p
You know what I meant ..

"Beginnings" as in more evidence of the Big Bang and farther into space