The 12th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The proposal for a name: The Cancer Terminators (Terminators) vs. The Cancer Eradicators (Eradicato

• Yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Try something else ....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
One and a half more days of the intra-team race. The difference between the sub teams is closing ...
Argh, the Eradicators are firing the afterburners! :eek:
@indydude345, found a candle yet to light your way to the breaker box and get the power back up? ;)
@tyft86, almost looks like you lost a GPU slot and were running only on a CPU slot lately; any troubles with your gear? :(

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Had 3 GPUs go AWOL while I was with family.

I'm back now so that was the first thing I remedied. Too cold inside without all the GPUs burning, what with 30° lower temps than normal ;)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Isn't the race over for the internal teams ? As of 3 hours ago ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Isn't that Dec 31, 16:00 PST ? England is 8 hours ahead of us. Well, you know, 4 PM here, midnight there ?

Edit, you mean noon ? So its 4 am here then

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, I have to boot one of my threadrippers to get ready for a lan party next Sat, but I delayed that until next week some time, since I will loose another 500k probably.

The lan party is a week from now, not sure the start time, they all come over to my house, and use my farm. So I will loose a lot that day.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The race ends officially at 12:00 UTC.
That is 07:00 EST, 06:00 CST, 05:00 MST and 04:00 PST,
However, I'll be late collecting the stats ... because of a New Years Day Lunch Party (NYLP) at 12:00 UTC (=13:00 CET)

(These abbreviations are fun...)

Reactions: TennesseeTony

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for the 31st and last day of the 12th Folding@Home Holiday Season Race
Stats are as of January 1, 2018, 14.30 UTC (approx).
The inter-team race stats are from the Folding@Home stats page.
The intra-team race stats are from EOC.com.

The inter-team race:
20sg3ld.jpg

dw73gh.jpg

24vvczq.jpg

We are leading the inter team race by 93M points. That may seem like a comfortable lead but it is not. It depends on the recruitment of some new team mates. However, now that the intra-team race is over and finished, some team members will probably quit.
To those members I say a big "Thank you and a Happy New Year. Could you please stay on for some more time?" We who stay need to increase our production to compensate, at least to a degree.

The intra-team race:
106zj1d.jpg

The intra-team race daily production:
2iqbuk0.jpg

The intra team race was this year won by The Cancer Terminators. Congratulations!
The winning margin was only 0.68%, or in an other way 10 292616 points (from a total production of 1 504 006 858 points).
We produced - as a team - more points in December than ever before: 1 715 833 781. That is almost 500M points more than in December 2017. The biggest winner is science, the second biggest winner is the TeAm.

The intra-team race individual daily production:
snezbl.jpg

I will make some more stats later, when I am back home. I am hooked up on a lousy hotel wifi and everything takes like for ever. Uploading the pics above took only 5 minutes (compared to a second or less at home ...

I'll continue to post the inter-team stats. They are much less demanding ...

HK-Steve

Dec 22, 2017
Congrats to the Terminators! :beer:

Also thanks to HK_Steve for joining the Eradicators to make it a close race!

And last but not least, thanks to petrusbroder for all the great stats.:beercheers:

Thanks and a close race is always nice.. Was great to hang with you all for the last 2 weeks..

Stats updates are always appreciated, a lot of work, but we all love to see the updates. Thanks petrusbroder

Cheers

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for the 32nd day of the race in Folding@Home with Brony@Home
Stats are as of January 2, 2018, 21.00 UTC (approx).
The inter-team race stats are from the Folding@Home stats page and from EOC.com.

2iup0kj.jpg

ruxpbd.jpg

rj4b2v.jpg

The TeAm's production has dropped dramatically. Still we produced approx. 4M more points than Brony@Home. That is not good enough - we need more power. Please continue folding. As soon as I am home again I will bring a new GPU (GTX1080) into the race ... and that may add some 600K-800K a day to the race.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
About 15M lost in PPD. That's a lot. I'm really thankful that we got helping hands from EVGA folks. Just tell me how we'll pay them back in the future and I'll be there.

Reactions: Ken g6

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks @petrusbroder for the steady supply with stats tables and graphs. Very informative visualization.

Fellow folders — can we keep that green line above zero? :sunglasses:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Had a motherboard w/dual gtx970s die. :( Ordered new parts but holiday week end got in the way. Apparently some people took the weekend off. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Hopefully by weekend I will be smiling again...........................

Last edited:
Reactions: crashtech

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for the 33nd day of the race in Folding@Home with Brony@Home
Stats are as of January 3, 2018, 20.30 UTC (approx).
The inter-team race stats are from the Folding@Home stats page and from EOC.com.

2a6wl88.jpg

2z8upuf.jpg

10ifdw7.jpg

Brony@Home has started to catch up. We need to maintain production. We could do it before, and thus we should be able to do it now too. It will be a tight race unless we produce more.
Please fold more!

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I suppose you are you fetching one F@H task and set it to "finish" right away, right? (To prevent fetching another task later in the same night, which would sit suspended during the day and get no bonus credit when being completed the next night.)

So, basically once I hit the "pause" button, I'll lose the bonus points even though it's only for a few hours. I have to suspend any compute heavy work from 1700 to 2200 due to "traditional" overloaded grid issue over here.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Strictly speaking you don't lose all of the speed bonus, but probably a lot, AFAIR. The formula with which they compute credit is documented somewhere...

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Strictly speaking you don't lose all of the speed bonus, but probably a lot, AFAIR. The formula with which they compute credit is documented somewhere...
Found it. It's a month late for me to know this, but better late than never. Thanks, as always, Stefan.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
You could look through your F@H client log to see what the minimum, maximum, and average task durations are, and whether this allows to fit a discrete number of WUs into your 19 hours long uptime window between 22:00 and 17:00 with a reasonable certainty. If so, you could set up two daily scheduled tasks (Windows) or cron jobs (Linux):
  • one at a suitable time before 17:00:
    FAHClient --send-finish
  • one at 22:00:
    FAHClient --send-unpause
Though I don't know whether task durations are uniform enough to make this feasible. Maybe add a third task to be sure:
  • at 17:00:
    FAHClient --send-pause
    (dummy if the prior send-finish made the WU complete in time,
    suspends the WU if it still hasn't completed, with your usual loss of quick return bonus)
Also, I haven't tried controlling F@H by scheduled tasks myself yet, but I have already used control via command line occasionally. When running it as scheduled task, it may be necessary to give the full path of the exe, i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient" --send-finish or /usr/bin/FAHClient --send-finish. (Edit: The path on deb- and rpm-based Linux distros is /usr/bin, on Gentoo it's /opt/foldingathome.)

FAHClient --help | more shows how to use and control the client on the command line.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for the 34nd day of the race in Folding@Home with Brony@Home
Stats are as of January 4, 2018, 21.00 UTC (approx).

2rdfgac.jpg

2mme00i.jpg

1125vdt.jpg

Now, this is not looking too good. We are loosing ground. If the pace keeps up it will be a too tight race for my taste. Please try to motivate team members to take part in the race.
We need more folders!

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The Primegrid Happy New Year Challenge , even though it's a CPU race, has impacted my F@H output a bit. Apparently the two tasks are competing for too many of the same resources.

Edit: I think it's RAM bandwidth. My quad channel systems aren't as affected as the dual channel ones.

Last edited: