The “Order of 10”

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
NVIDIA will be unveiling their Pascal GeForce 1000 series cards in a matter of days but it seems like they really love to tease their upcoming announcement by sending out a mysterious puzzle to select tech sites. The tease which is titled as “Order of 10” may not hint at the Pascal cards at first but after solving the puzzles, most tech sites have figured out that this campaign has been started by NVIDIA and references their GeForce Pascal series that will be unveiled on 6th May 2016.
Source

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
We can criticize Nvidia for virtually anything & everything but their ads are second to none in the tech industry :D

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Interesting. I assume its part of the deep learning abilities that they sent out the puzzles. Should be great for gaming AI as well. An AI that learns from you every time you play.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I wonder if HardOCP will slam NV publicly over a paper launch, and then slam them again for false marketing, i.e., 10X over Maxwell in an application gamers don't use.

They might, if this was anything like that... which it isn't. :rolleyes:

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
So the order of 10 website contains a hexagon with 6 pieces (or temporal shards), each containing a small picture/text. All of them seem to refer to some sort of tech feature of Pascal

• ABCDE piece: Talks about the Snellen chart and vision, might be a reference to 4K, VR or DSR.
  • FGHI piece: Talks about Kepler, orbits and constellations and features a picture of a hypercube and the Orion constellation. Not sure about this one to be honest (I don't think Kepler is a reference to the Kepler GPU series).
  • JKLM piece: Talks about Gravitational optical tessellation and encoded messages. The obvious tech feature here is of course tessellation, but that seems a bit old school (although better performance is always welcome of course), the encoded messages part might refer to improved encoding/decoding capabilities.
  • NOPQ piece: Talks about Hinton, tessellation waves, hypercube, time and 4th dimensional objects (tesseracts). I haven't a clue what this is about.
  • RSTU piece: Talks about H.G. Wells and The Time Machine and contains an excerpt from the book. Like the previous piece this one also seems focused on time, in this case I suppose it might refer to acceleration of compute tasks and how that effectively allows you to "travel through time".
  • VWXYZ piece: Talks about Liebniz, mechanical computing and revision of the binary system. This one seems to be fairly straight forward and focused on compute capability, with the "revision of the binary system" possibly referring to the increased FP16 capabilities of Pascal.

Anyways those are my best guesses. Decent enough way to pass the time from now until an actual announcement I suppose.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Either way - Nvidia's marketing machine is rather impressive. The 'order of 10' raises a lot of questions, and if they're going to be answered in a few days I'll be mashing refresh like a bunch of other people.

airfathaaaaa

Feb 12, 2016
so wait they basicly took a chevron of stargate along with ancient language and made it a marketing plot?

xpea

Feb 14, 2014
Either way - Nvidia's marketing machine is rather impressive. The 'order of 10' raises a lot of questions, and if they're going to be answered in a few days I'll be mashing refresh like a bunch of other people.
+1000
This is brilliant. Like it or not, they are miles ahead of anything AMD does. A totally different level. This is why mainstream buyers are so much Nvidia towards.
It also shows that Pascal's launch have been meticulously prepared. Hopefully we will have a new kickass tech demo. I love them :wub:

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Oh, you mean this upcoming announcement of an announcement?

That's enough.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'm not a big fan of these, AR style adverts, but they definitely get a few people going.

I'll check this thread for someone to post relevant info or if they solved the puzzle.

Rhael

May 3, 2016
This is brilliant. Like it or not, they are miles ahead of anything AMD does.

so 1 site with some giberish announcing an announcement is "brilliant"? you must be impressed with all sort of things very easly...

Stop with the insults. They are not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
so 1 site with some giberish announcing an announcement is "brilliant"? you must be impressed with all sort of things very easly...

Yeah i have to concur. Its a puzzle. A puzzle...

You're quoting and concurring with the insult. They are not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

xpea

Feb 14, 2014
Leaving the useless personal attack aside, if you've been working on marketing, you will have another opinion. Look again at the attention to details, how everything is polished down to the metal CNCed triangle, how they involve the media community to work together and you will see the talented work behind it.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Just checking in to make sure nVidia gets slammed about "paper launching"; if we are going to be hard on AMD for this then nVidia gets the same treatment. I wonder who will have the longer A2A (announcement to availability)?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Just checking in to make sure nVidia gets slammed about "paper launching"; if we are going to be hard on AMD for this then nVidia gets the same treatment. I wonder who will have the longer A2A (announcement to availability)?

What if availability is immediate?

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

I guess one would have had to partake in the problem solving (if there was any) because that is rather uninspiring.

Oh well, now to wait until Friday to see what NV brings to the table. I've been itching to take my rig apart and give it a nice dusting/cleaning, and re-wiring - if a new GPU tickles my fancy might as well do it all at once.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

Not sure why everyone is thinking NV is paper-launching. There hasn't been a paper launch from them since Fermi.

Honestly, no company has had much of a paper launch in a long time. Go back 10 years and see where some products took months and months to be available. Those are 'real' paper launches. Waiting even a week or two isn't a big deal, no matter what company.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
Not sure why everyone is thinking NV is paper-launching. There hasn't been a paper launch from them since Fermi.

We were told GDDR5X enters mass production in the summer. We're still in spring.

Either the timetable moved ahead significantly and no one told us, or NVidia and partners don't have chips to put on the boards yet, or at least don't have them in meaningful numbers.

Honestly, no company has had much of a paper launch in a long time.

The 200 series launched Dec 11 with retail availability Jan 12. Fury launched and no one could buy it due to HBM1 shortages for at least two months. That one feels familiar to the current memory situation.