That's it, from now on nobody else touches my computer

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Okay, that 3 hours includes cleaning up my desk to dig out the old monitor, and also untangling a forest of cables.

I have a teen-age son who's into computers, who is forever upgrading or installing or whatever on our network. I usually let him do stuff like put in a monitor. But he's away at a Dungeons & Dragons conventions for the weekend.

My old CRT monitor died when I turned it on this morning. I went to the local Staples and got a 19" Samsung. Figured a quick open the box, unplug - plug, swap and go. But . . .

I built my box about 3 years ago, and I set up the network. However, son has changed so much stuff that I barely remembered what I put where.

Now to put barbed wire or something around my PC. Unless there's a better way to keep the kid away.

Nice monitor.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: badmouse
Okay, that 3 hours includes cleaning up my desk to dig out the old monitor, and also untangling a forest of cables.

I have a teen-age son who's into computers, who is forever upgrading or installing or whatever on our network. I usually let him do stuff like put in a monitor. But he's away at a Dungeons & Dragons conventions for the weekend.

My old CRT monitor died when I turned it on this morning. I went to the local Staples and got a 19" Samsung. Figured a quick open the box, unplug - plug, swap and go. But . . .

I built my box about 3 years ago, and I set up the network. However, son has changed so much stuff that I barely remembered what I put where.

Now to put barbed wire or something around my PC. Unless there's a better way to keep the kid away.

Nice monitor.

When he gets back, beat him mercilessly, then kill yourself for letting him go.

oCxTiTaN

May 7, 2004
Do it yourself or get over it. If you let him do stuff and it works then either accept what he has done or do it yourself if it isn't to your liking.

It worked before and you were too impatient to wait for him to take care of installing it when he got back so that's your fault.

Congrats on the monitor though, hope you like it :p

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
He forgot to leave you the potion of +5 observation you needed to figure it out. Dock him 25 XP.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz
He forgot to leave you the potion of +5 observation you needed to figure it out. Dock him 25 XP.

And give him the Curse of the Nerd. He doesn't touch a woman until he's in his 30's and he has to pay for it.

:D

confused1234

Banned
Jun 17, 2006
this dungens and dragons convention is awesome. i learned how to wield a lvl 9 iron casted gold plated soul reaver and also how to cast a lvl 20 ice spell

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
If you don't know where the monitor plugs in, maybe you shouldn't touch your computer. ;)

Edit: to be clear, I'm just kidding, I'm aware the issue is also the bad cable management.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Cut him some slack, these newfangled electronk things are darn complicated... I broke my cane hitting my monitor to get it to work :(

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: DainBramaged

Nice monitor.

I was gonna quote and comment in a similar fashion.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: DainBramaged

Nice monitor.

At least he'll never have to worry about the baby being his.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
If it was my son I'd be happy that he is learning about networks and just let him keep fooling around with it, as long as it works.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001

Nice monitor.

Um, I still don't see why it would take you 3 hours to unplug your monitor cable and plug in the new one. If it takes you that long to plug in a monitor maybe you should let your teenage son take care of everything.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
But he's away at a Dungeons & Dragons conventions for the weekend.

I just wanted to post that again.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
:laugh: DND convention???

:laugh: It's like the real life version of White and Nerdy! :laugh:

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
Um, I still don't see why it would take you 3 hours to unplug your monitor cable and plug in the new one. If it takes you that long to plug in a monitor maybe you should let your teenage son take care of everything.

That was from opening of the box to my first solitaire game ;) . There were things like he'd plugged the VoiP modem directly into my PC, rather than in front of the wireless router. I had to look it up to make sure I was right in wanting it there. I was! Yay. Since he's the one who actually uses the vonage phone, I set it up for him, not right next to my PC. Etc. Stupid stuff like that.

Then, I labeled everything nicely. And then, what took a long time was untangling the wires, sorting them, bundling them, putting color-coordinated ties on them - and it took a while to dig the color ties out of my big box of random parts and accessories - and generally making it look good. I'm no fanatic, but I like to know what wire goes where when I'm crawling underneath my desk.

Of course, I needed a cold beverage or two while doing all this hard work :beer: .

The actual plugging of the monitor took the normal 30 seconds.

The point is, I need to take care of my computer myself, and not get lazy and let someone else do it. It doesn't take much to get out of the loop at my advanced age.