THAT'S going to leave a mark....

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: mobobuff
The thinness of those tires creeps me out.
You'd be surprised how hard it is to break them loose. The only reason he slid out was the bricks in the corner...sometimes that's enough to break the traction and down you go.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
nice little rash he got there.
Musta been some very smooth pavement. Usually you look like you tangled with a really large cheese grater after hitting the deck that hard. I have an impressive array of scars from my years of racing.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Nice Trek! I've been looking for a used road bike, since I had to give up the one I was borrowing this summer.

That road rash is insanely smooth! My leg looked mangled when I went down on some cement this summer. (Damn blonde in a big SUV wasn't watching for little me)

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Fausto
Musta been some very smooth pavement. Usually you look like you tangled with a really large cheese grater after hitting the deck that hard. I have an impressive array of scars from my years of racing.

True words. My hips and elbows took quite a beating from years of mountain biking (which would max at probably a third the speed of race biking). Picking gravel out of wounds is no fun.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Ah that's crazy. I went to high school with Jonas Carney. It was a rural area and that dude went everywhere on his bike and I mean everywhere. This was 15 years ago. I guess he never stopped riding!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: CChaos
Ah that's crazy. I went to high school with Jonas Carney. It was a rural area and that dude went everywhere on his bike and I mean everywhere. This was 15 years ago. I guess he never stopped riding!
I think he's finally retiring this year. His brother races locally on our velodrome a few times a year (and generally kicks everyone's asses).

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
A few winters ago I was pedaling along and the chain popped. I went straight to the ground and got a nice big gash on left elbow and right hand. It didn't hurt until I looked at it and cleaned it up. It did, however, leave a nice scar.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Tremulant
A few winters ago I was pedaling along and the chain popped. I went straight to the ground and got a nice big gash on left elbow and right hand. It didn't hurt until I looked at it and cleaned it up. It did, however, leave a nice scar.
My nickname in college was "Mummy Man" because I always had gauze bandages all over me from crashing. Fortunately, I'm a bit more competent on the bike these days and don't eat it quite as often. :p

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
crashes rule!

jelly belly shorts don't (can they make them any more ghey looking?)!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Stark
crashes rule!

jelly belly shorts don't (can they make them any more ghey looking?)!
Agreed. The JB outfits are just god-awful this year.

Jan 18, 2001

True words. My hips and elbows took quite a beating from years of mountain biking (which would max at probably a third the speed of race biking). Picking gravel out of wounds is no fun.

My wife went down once and had gravel embedded in her shoulder (side and back) and i thought to myself, "that is going to really hurt picking that crap out of there". Since she had endorphins cursing through her brain (and a minor concussion too) I decided it might be worth it to spray the gravel out BEFORE the blood coagulated. I used up two water bottles before I had it all out and my wife didn't feel a thing. The nurse at the ER (went in b/c of the head injury) was REALLLY impress that my wifes wound was so clean...

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004

My wife went down once and had gravel embedded in her shoulder (side and back) and i thought to myself, "that is going to really hurt picking that crap out of there". Since she had endorphins cursing through her brain (and a minor concussion too) I decided it might be worth it to spray the gravel out BEFORE the blood coagulated. I used up two water bottles before I had it all out and my wife didn't feel a thing. The nurse at the ER (went in b/c of the head injury) was REALLLY impress that my wifes wound was so clean...

Yeah, it's amazing how pain-tolerant the body can be after a freaky accident like that. So remember to scare the crap out of yourself whenever pain is coming. I remember falling out of a tree a good 20 feet or so, but the shock from slipping efficiently dulled the pain of falling onto branches and colliding with the ground, if only for a couple of minutes. Pain is inevitable.