That should not have been a pass interference!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Some calls will ALWAYS be arbitrary. No amount of replay will fix it. If somebody is defense minded they will say it's this. If they are offense minded, they will say it's that. Even refs alone won't agree on it.

Even more reason to review it - remove the opinion and the ability to alter a game from the hands of one ref who has to make a split second call without the luxury of replay.

Setup a panel of refs (odd number) and leave the decision to them in these questionable calls.

Come on. This is A GAME. Not congress. Football already has a side of it of who can work the rules the best. This would just be out of control. Seriously. Baltimore lost. Cry more.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
At least the Chargers won. :p:thumbsup:

You guys won, but LT's ego was probably bruised a bit with only 25 yards rushing.

Gates hurt the bears though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
At least the Chargers won. :p:thumbsup:

You guys won, but LT's ego was probably bruised a bit with only 25 yards rushing.

Gates hurt the bears though.

He didn't play at all during pre-season though so I'd say this was just him getting warmed up and back into playing mode. That's what I'm hoping anyway. ;)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Some calls will ALWAYS be arbitrary. No amount of replay will fix it. If somebody is defense minded they will say it's this. If they are offense minded, they will say it's that. Even refs alone won't agree on it.

Even more reason to review it - remove the opinion and the ability to alter a game from the hands of one ref who has to make a split second call without the luxury of replay.

Setup a panel of refs (odd number) and leave the decision to them in these questionable calls.

hHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir

hHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

It's so much better to let the refs decide who won...

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
christ does Garet ever shut up? every other reply in this thread is Garet bitching about the same god damn thing

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: toekramp
christ does Garet ever shut up? every other reply in this thread is Garet bitching about the same god damn thing

Christ you guys have been so influencial in convincing me I'm wrong.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Nah, his ego probably wasn't bruised. Unlike many other players, he doesn't have a problem with an overinflated ego. I am sure he is just happy the team got the win.

And even if his ego had been bruised due to the 25 yds rushing, it was helped by the touchdown pass he threw. :p

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

It isn't going to happen, you've made up your mind, that's why i gave up and refuse to continue. As is the case with pretty much everyone else as well. Nothing said will ever "convince" you of anything other than what you believe.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

If sao123's post wasn't enough for you, then you're just stubborn.

If you wanna keep going in circles on this, that's fine, but here's the truth:

- It doesn't matter. The Ravens lost. The record can't be changed short of some huge scandal being uncovered. Hindsight doesn't change it.

- They played poorly... to say that it cost them the game is to assume that had this call not been made, that a LOT of other things would and would not have happened. What if, what if, what if. For as many times as you can say this play cost them the game I can probably think of things that could have happened after the game to prevent that. If they had played better in the 97% of the game before that... minutes before that play... you probably would have brushed it off before you could click on your bookmark for ATOT and start making a post.

- The refs in the NFL are a much better judge of calls than you based off of experience. I'll admit I don't know you, but I think I can safely say that you probably don't have the experience that an NFL ref has . For you to say it wasn't a pushoff is like telling your doctor how to diagnose your problems. Certainly they make mistakes, but everyone has the chance of a mistake being made in their favor or against them, however, you cannot dispute that there was contact made or that the contact made hindered the path of the offensive player. The video evidence posted earlier clearly shows this.

- Adding some panel of judges would be absurd because no matter how many people are judging it all comes down to opinion. Based off the fact that you think there should be an odd number, as you previously stated, it just shows that the calls are entirely subjective. Who is to say that the field ref's opinions are less valid than the magical all-seeing people in the booth?

- You may have lots of cameras and lots of angles, but you still don't always have a perfect view on what happened.

- If this is something that the PLAYERS and COACHES clearly wanted, it probably would have been implemented a long time ago. So why should it be implemented? Because you can't just admit the things posted above? Or maybe it's because the people actually playing the game realize that it's part of the game and that they have probably had it work in their favor and never complained.

- What happens when the clock is ticking in the last few seconds of the game and the offense is trying to move the ball fast? Should an opinion be ignored in favor of allowing the offense to continue? Would you stop the clock and completely ruin the idea of a hurry-up offense? Adding stuff like this would only complicated the game.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: MrLee
Originally posted by: Injury
If it all comes down to one bad call then the truth is the team probably didn't deserve to win anyway.

Blame the ref all you want, but if they didn't have, what, 6 turnovers, the other plays in that drive... then you'd probably be saying "Hah, screw it. We're about to win anyway." Both teams should have played so much better. The Bengals were just fortunate they didn't make as many stupid mistakes.

QFT. A football team has 4 quarters to win the game.

Don't change the subject. I have never denied that Baltimore had no business being in the game at the end. The fact is they were in the game, the fact is that the TD the refs took away would have tied the game and the fact is that it was a bad call. This is what we are discussing - stay focused people.

Bro did you see the drive they had? Were you watching? It was yards from the endzone and there was offensive pass interference that was questionable. Then redemption hits them right in the face with holding and an automatic first down after a few yards bumped up. It put them right back in the exact same place that they started before the pass interference call. Its like taking a giant etch-e-sketch after 2 really crappy plays and shaking it all over the place to start again and THEY STILL COULDNT GET A TD. They had their chances, they blew it. They blew every single time they failed to convert a drive into points. Baltimore Fails.

I watched every second of the game. I am not talking about the rest of the game, I am not talking about all the turnovers, I am not talking about the bad play calls (these all suck for Ravens fans). I am simply talking about the bad penalty call and how we have the technology to dramatically reduce the chances of this ever happening again.

It is frustrating to me that it is not being used and this forces an offensively challenged team to give up a game tying TD (which are obviously hard to come by for Baltimore) resulting in a loss when it should have been tied.

You earn your ties and wins. "Should have..." plays no part in sports. But if you are going to simply focus on bad play calling in the NFL and the technology we have to rule out any chance of the zebras making mistakes then I'd have to say we are at a point where if we introduce any more technology when it comes to player interaction you are wrong. Now I can see throwing down sensors or video interpretation systems to determine if players are in or out on the sidelines; that is something a computer can figure out. Heck, they use the stuff in tennis now. But do you believe there is artificial intelligence capable of determining weather or not your beloved Baltimore player was used for leverage? I don?t think there ever will be.

P.S. Baltimore fails