That mosque being built adjacent to ground zero?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Now that the hate-mongers have had their daily dose of outrage, I thought I'd offer a few less inflammatory versions of the story from more credible news organizations. (Hint: the NY Post is a nutter tabloid that appears far less concerned with accurate reporting than it is with sensationalism.)

Anyway, here are three links:

Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero

Muslim and Prayers Renewal Near Ground Zero

Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead

A couple of things I found interesting. First, none of the articles mention opening this mosque on 9/11/2011. The only thing even close is that the groups hope to break ground BEFORE then. Given that they are just starting fund raising, it should have been obvious to all the Chicken Littles that completing an unfunded $100 million project that quickly was absurd ... but I suppose whipping up a good outrage is much easier without pausing for critical thinking.

The other thing I noticed is that this location is not next to Ground Zero, but is actually two blocks away. That's still the same neighborhood, to be sure (along with a hundred or so other businesses and organizations), but it's not nearly as sensational as some have suggested.

Finally, here are a few quotes from the articles:
"Ro Sheffe, a board member who attended the meeting, said the project did not need to get the board's approval. 'They own the land, and their plans don't have any zoning changes," Sheffe said. "They came to us for our opinions and to let us know their plans. It was purely voluntary on their part.'"

"Daisy Khan, executive director of the Muslim society, described her vision of a center led by Muslims, but serving the community as a whole. 'It will have a real community feel, to celebrate the pluralism in the United States, as well as in the Islamic religion,' Khan said. 'It will also serve as a major platform for amplifying the silent voice of the majority of Muslims who have nothing to do with extremist ideologies. It will counter the extremist momentum.'"

"However, Khan emphasized that the attacks killed Muslims, too. 'Three hundred of the victims were Muslim, that's 10 percent of the victims,' she said. 'We are Americans too. The 9/11 tragedy hurt everybody including the Muslim community. We are all in this together and together we have to fight against extremism and terrorism.'"

"Those who have worked with him say if anyone could pull off what many regard to be a delicate project, it would be Imam Feisal, whom they described as having built a career preaching tolerance and interfaith understanding."
Anyway, something for those who want a little more objective version of the story.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
The other thing I noticed is that this location is not next to Ground Zero, but is actually two blocks away. That's still the same neighborhood, to be sure (along with a hundred or so other businesses and organizations), but it's not nearly as sensational as some have suggested.

Wow a whole two blocks. Why didn't someone just say that from the beginning. Its all good then :confused:

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
jesus fucking non existant christ.

let them build their damn house of worship. Every mosque should be associated with Terrorism just like every church should be associated with the KKK.

TwinsenTacquito

Apr 1, 2010
If it isn't against the law, shut the hell up and MYOB. Racism is now politically correct?! What the... when did? What?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I'm personally not judging the legality of it. I CAN call every minority a slur every time I see one, but I don't because a) it's wrong according to my values and b) I would have to suffer non-legal consequences.

There are LOTS of things I am legally able to do, but don't because I shouldn't.

If we changed stuff just because people had their feelings hurt, then nothing would get done in the world. Ok, the widows and families of the people lost in 9/11 might not like what is being done, but tough apple Shirley.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Much as I find this distasteful, I really don't see what can (or should) be done to stop it without damaging the fabric of the nation.

Feb 16, 2005
I don't care about their garbage religion. I care about having common decency. You guys support Westboro, right?

LOL, garbage religion that has the largest community of any organized religion. Common decency = common sense, clearly you lack both.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I would have thought that the average proud American would be happy to see this constructed. What better symbol of your nation's supposed belief in freedom and tolerance?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I haven't felt this ill since 9/11 itself. If this mosque goes up I may stop being a lazy observer and found some sort of opposition group. I'm also (remotely) considering a move to Italy. It's the nation of my ancestry, and they're taking a stand against islam, unlike the US and UK.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Wonders if the OP will have the integrity to change his topic to reflect the truth about it not, in fact, be at all adjacent to ground zero as he stated...

(after reading some of his posts here I highly doubt integrity is in his vocabulary though)

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I haven't felt this ill since 9/11 itself. If this mosque goes up I may stop being a lazy observer and found some sort of opposition group. I'm also (remotely) considering a move to Italy. It's the nation of my ancestry, and they're taking a stand against islam, unlike the US and UK.

An opposition group to someone practicing their religion, how very..american of you.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
An opposition group to someone practicing their religion, how very..american of you.
Practicing religion is fine.

Opening a tribute to the religion responsible for 9/11, on the site of 9/11, on its 10-year anniversary goes about 20 miles past the fine line.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

For all intents and purposes, 2 blocks away is on the site. It's symbolic, it's a taunt by islam as a whole. They're using our freedom of religion to slap us in the face, and the only way we could stop it is by becoming like any one of their countries - a lawless, freedomless shithole. It sucks. We need to make this a special case and prevent it from being built.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
For all intents and purposes, 2 blocks away is on the site. It's symbolic, it's a taunt by islam as a whole. They're using our freedom of religion to slap us in the face, and the only way we could stop it is by becoming like any one of their countries - a lawless, freedomless shithole. It sucks. We need to make this a special case and prevent it from being built.

No, it' not.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Much as I find this distasteful, I really don't see what can (or should) be done to stop it without damaging the fabric of the nation.

If the group responsible for wanting to build this mosque had any class, they wouldn't have pursued this option (even though they have every right to) and everyone could have gone on with their daily lives.

They know damn well this is going to piss off a bunch of Americans, and they obviously don't care about that.

The whole world is supposed to be sensitive to them and their religion, but yet they cannot return the same decency, respect and courtesy to the citizens of NYC. Pretty sad and selfish...

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Practicing religion is fine.

Opening a tribute to the religion responsible for 9/11, on the site of 9/11, on its 10-year anniversary goes about 20 miles past the fine line.
Wow, 0 for 3. You're raising willful ignorance to new heights (i.e., lows).

1. Islam was NOT responsible for 9/11, any more than Christianity is responsible for the bombings of abortion clinics. A bunch of terrorist extremists who profess belief in in Islam were.

2. They're NOT building this at ground zero. It's two blocks away.

3. They're NOT opening it on the tenth anniversary of 9/11. They hope to break ground before then.

I suggest you give your bigotry a rest and educate yourself a bit.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If the group responsible for wanting to build this mosque had any class, they wouldn't have pursued this option (even though they have every right to) and everyone could have gone on with their daily lives.

They know damn well this is going to piss off a bunch of Americans, and they obviously don't care about that.

The whole world is supposed to be sensitive to them and their religion, but yet they cannot return the same decency, respect and courtesy to the citizens of NYC. Pretty sad and selfish...

ridiculous

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Sigh.
"Daisy Khan, executive director of the Muslim society, described her vision of a center led by Muslims, but serving the community as a whole. 'It will have a real community feel, to celebrate the pluralism in the United States, as well as in the Islamic religion,' Khan said. 'It will also serve as a major platform for amplifying the silent voice of the majority of Muslims who have nothing to do with extremist ideologies. It will counter the extremist momentum.'"

"However, Khan emphasized that the attacks killed Muslims, too. 'Three hundred of the victims were Muslim, that's 10 percent of the victims,' she said. 'We are Americans too. The 9/11 tragedy hurt everybody including the Muslim community. We are all in this together and together we have to fight against extremism and terrorism.'"

"Those who have worked with him say if anyone could pull off what many regard to be a delicate project, it would be Imam Feisal, whom they described as having built a career preaching tolerance and interfaith understanding."
Read. Think. Learn. Bigotry is so unbecoming.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Sigh.

Read. Think. Learn. Bigotry is so unbecoming.

I am not questioning her intentions...She still intentionally stirring up a hornet's nest...Why create a controvery of this magnitude if you don't have to? Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Speaking of shitholes, you should hurry up and move to Italy.