Thanks for your suggestions! Now out of general interest, what do y'all subscribe to?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
While wisdom and knowledge are not the same thing, there is still virtue in knowledge, awareness of our world as others see it. I can look at the world with the eyes of a newborn and still have a knowledgeable mind.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Orsorum
While wisdom and knowledge are not the same thing, there is still virtue in knowledge, awareness of our world as others see it. I can look at the world with the eyes of a newborn and still have a knowledgeable mind.
Then who were you before you were born.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

One with God? You may have a better idea than I do.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Another vote for The Economist.

Great to get news that isn't AP as virtually everything else is. Nice separate viewpoint when US is doing something the rest of the world doesn't approve of like Panama, Grenada etc. Also interesting when Britain is acting strange ie. Falklands, Nato.

Damn, does that show how long I have been a subscriber?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I was Michael Collins :)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: LunarRay

I was Michael Collins :)

I was Mario Van Peebles.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled
Another vote for The Economist.

Great to get news that isn't AP as virtually everything else is. Nice separate viewpoint when US is doing something the rest of the world doesn't approve of like Panama, Grenada etc. Also interesting when Britain is acting strange ie. Falklands, Nato.

Damn, does that show how long I have been a subscriber?

20+ years? Damn, you've spend a small fortune on subscriptions.

But hey, can't blame you. The Economist is a great publication.

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Hey, you chose one of my suggestions! (Atlantic Monthly)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Businessweek. The Economist is a lot better, more world coverage and better written. I wouldn't want the WSJ or FT b/c reading it daily would be tough if I"m regularly busy.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
There is really no comparison between The Economist and BusinessWeek. Despite its name, The Economist isn't really an economics-centric publication. The Economist offers, in addition to business and economics content, a little of everything; society, culture, art, politics, world events, business and the economy, finance and investing, government and law, technology, news, etc.

Businessweek, on the other hand, is all about things business, economy, and market related.

You really wouldn't read one in place of the other.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: tcsenter
There is really no comparison between The Economist and BusinessWeek. Despite its name, The Economist isn't really an economics-centric publication. The Economist offers, in addition to business and economics content, a little of everything; society, culture, art, politics, world events, business and the economy, finance and investing, government and law, technology, news, etc.

Businessweek, on the other hand, is all about things business, economy, and market related.

You really wouldn't read one in place of the other.

Any suggestions as to how I could get a cheap subscription to it? ;)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I currently read Foreign Affairs and Business Week, and occasionally the New York Times as a weekend supplement. I'm wondering if anyone knows of high-quality, fairly impartial journals dealing with business, finance, international relations, etc.
Well you have asked the wrong person for advice on good sources of information about business and finance. Neither of which I spend any substantial time and energies reading about, except I did take several business, economics, and accounting courses in college as "filler" and I do have one [failed] business endeavor under by belt. :p

For other areas of interest (in no particular order):

The New York Times
The Wall Street Journal
US News and World Reports
Reason Magazine
Salon Magazine
The American Prospect
The New Republic
Atlantic Monthly
The New Yorker

I subscribe to none of these. Instead, I pretend as though I'm a patient, then steal them from waiting rooms when no one is looking. :confused:

What's important to get a range of perspectives. Its not good to have your mind filled will too much nonsense from one particular side or another. It is good every now and then to read something you don't agree with, especially those things you think you don't agree with in advance of even reading it.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: LocutusX
Nobody mentioned National Review? Or is that too "op-ed."

How far to the left/right is it, and how expensive is the subscription?

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
IMHO it's either neocon or moderate conservative. It's the rag that dropped Ann Coulter after she went all crazy and posted that line about killing Islamic leaders and forcibly converting their populace to Christianity. hehe. It's something like $20 a year. I don't subscribe to it, just read the website. It's here.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Books and Mags. are just a waste of money. Just stay at a Holliday inn express and all knowledge will be yours. I know this because I saw it on Fox.

Bleep

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't actually subscribe to anything. I feel that in the Internet age magazines and other paper periodicals have become obsolete, so using the Internet to obtain information is enough for me. Also saves money.

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Originally posted by: LocutusX
I don't actually subscribe to anything. I feel that in the Internet age magazines and other paper periodicals have become obsolete, so using the Internet to obtain information is enough for me. Also saves money.

Don't forget a lot of stuff you have to pay to see online as well. If it's the case of paying for a magazine online or reading it online for the same price, I'd prefer to read it in print a lot of times.