Thank you Mr. Ice.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Of course this happens. I have my last final today and am leaving for home right after. I went out to clean my car off and heat it up about 15 minutes ago, and the door handles are frozen shut. Fine, so I bust out my de-icer in a can stuff and spray the living hell out of it. The handle now pulls open all the way... but there is no "clicking" noise that the handle is supposed to make when the door opens. WTF? Do I give it time or what? And no, I didn't yank the handle when I tried to open it initially. And yes, I did also spray the crease all the way around the door. Any ideas? :(

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Try a different door.

I tried the rear driver side door. Nothing. I think the actual lock itself is frozen.... fuck.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Of course this happens. I have my last final today and am leaving for home right after. I went out to clean my car off and heat it up about 15 minutes ago, and the door handles are frozen shut. Fine, so I bust out my de-icer in a can stuff and spray the living hell out of it. The handle now pulls open all the way... but there is no "clicking" noise that the handle is supposed to make when the door opens. WTF? Do I give it time or what? And no, I didn't yank the handle when I tried to open it initially. And yes, I did also spray the crease all the way around the door. Any ideas? :(

:confused:

Try any one of the other 3 handles on the car?

No passenger side lock? Can't get in through the trunk? I can :)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
hot/boiling water, pour it over the door seals and window until the ice melts. Keep doing so until the door mechanisms unfreeze. Be forewarned, if it's going to be cold again while your car is idle, everything is now wet and will probably re-freeze later.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
hot/boiling water, pour it over the door seals and window until the ice melts. Keep doing so until the door mechanisms unfreeze. Be forewarned, if it's going to be cold again while your car is idle, everything is now wet and will probably re-freeze later.

Boiling water + frozen parts; I would be wary of thermal shock breaking a window or something else...

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX

:confused:

Try any one of the other 3 handles on the car?

No passenger side lock? Can't get in through the trunk? I can :)

this.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: PCMarine

Boiling water + frozen parts; I would be wary of thermal shock breaking a window or something else...

Okay, not boiling, but hot tap should work fine.

Dec 8, 2008

Wow.. Bad advice from this one.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Well, if you do ever get out of here, have a good Christmas break. Hope that last final wasnt too tough.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Boiling water? Good god that's a bad idea. I had to work at it a bit but I finally got it. 4 hours until freedom. :D :D :D

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Jam some paper in the door switch of your microwave and tape it there. Get an extension cord and bring your microwave outside. Make a tinfoil helmet for your head and your junk, then aim the microwave at your car and turn it on high.

Oh, video it and put it on youtube too.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
If you like your windows in pieces, then put boiling or hot water onto them when it's very cold outside. You'll be glad you did.

*the more you know music*

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Deviant Grasshopper

Sure is bad advice... not like I lived in the frozen north for a good 28 years or anything... :roll:

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005

Sure is bad advice... not like I lived in the frozen north for a good 28 years or anything... :roll:

it might "sound" like a bad idea......but SunnyD is right. I've done it before and it worked fine.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: PimpJuice

it might "sound" like a bad idea......but SunnyD is right. I've done it before and it worked fine.

I should note - I suggest hotter water only since you're in a pinch. Otherwise using warm to medium-hot tap would be a better suggestion. Also, I should clarify when I say pour over the window, I should have said the window seal at the base of the window and not the entire window. Idea is to melt the ice at the base and let the water run down and melt ice on the interior of the door mechanism.

And yes, boiling water is probably a bad idea... but I have used scaldingly hot tap before without issue.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007

I've done the exact samething before to get some locks off a trailer before. Worked like a charm!

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I used to use a light bulb on an extension cord back when I lived where it does that kind of stuff.