Thank you Codemasters...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
I have so much hatred for GFWL.

Was trying to play FO3 and GTA4 at about the same time. What a nightmare. If you finally got it to work on one the other would never be able to log in without a computer restart. If you played one, tried the other and went back it wouldn't work anymore. If the computer slept it wouldn't log in. Sometimes it would log in but not find the saves.

Tried updating and it completely locked out one game, went back to where I was and it broke another, had to go back to an even earlier version which people kept around because that's just how poorly GFWL worked.

Encrypting saved games because of achievements is short sighted and makes no sense, these are achievements. They hold no real value but losing a saved game that has 20+ hours into it does have a cost.

GFWL was broken, poorly thought out (I have to go through some xbox webpage to get an ID?!) and intrusive. It didn't hold a candle to Steam and probably still doesn't.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I've never had any issues with GFWL, however, doesn't mean I'm a fan or prefer it over other DRM.

That said, what happens to GFWL games if Microsoft drops the service?

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
It seems most of the hatred for GFWL comes from people who previously didn't have an XBL account... or had issues when reformatting and because they didn't back up the GFWL config file, all their saves were lost because saves were encrypted (achievements, yo).

I never had a problem with GFWL, and I'm pretty indifferent to it. Logs in automatically for me, and I manage my saves with Gamesave manager (all PC gamers should have this program installed and be backing up saves to dropbox).

Steam and Origin have cloud saves so that fixes that.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Why should doing this even have to cross my mind?

Because... durr... it's not built into the OS.

It's not required anyway. It makes it easy to backup saves, what's difficult to understand about that? :confused:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Because... durr... it's not built into the OS.

It's not required anyway. It makes it easy to backup saves, what's difficult to understand about that? :confused:

You don't get the question. Why should I have to think about backing up my game saves? Why shouldn't my regular PC backups be sufficient? As a PC user am I supposed to root out the technical details of every game I play to make sure my game saves are going to be usable in the future? No wonder PC gaming sucks.

Because MS decided that they should be encrypted and tied to a specific GFWL/OS/Machine. Massive amounts of fail.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You don't get the question. Why should I have to think about backing up my game saves? Why shouldn't my regular PC backups be sufficient? As a PC user am I supposed to root out the technical details of every game I play to make sure my game saves are going to be usable in the future? No wonder PC gaming sucks.

Because MS decided that they should be encrypted and tied to a specific GFWL/OS/Machine. Massive amounts of fail.

Indeed. GFWL was supposed to add some simplicity to Gaming. A way to improve the experience. On the PC side anyway, it has been a complete failure. Many other services existed prior to it that do what GFWL was supposed to do and they do it many times better.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Whatever dude. PC gaming sucks because you have to back up your saves? You don't need a program to back up saves, but it makes it easier. Yea, it sucks that GFWL encrypts the saves and ties it to your profile, but hey, again, that program makes it dead simple to backup.

Your irrationality is clouding your judgement, and at this point, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue.

Go back to your damn console or don't back up your saves... why should I care?

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
As someone who owns both an xbox 360 and a PC I didn't mind GFWL so much. It was nice to have all my achievements in one place and be able to see my xbox friends online while playing a PC game. It definitely could have been implemented better but the idea itself was ok.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Whatever dude. PC gaming sucks because you have to back up your saves? You don't need a program to back up saves, but it makes it easier. Yea, it sucks that GFWL encrypts the saves and ties it to your profile, but hey, again, that program makes it dead simple to backup.

Your irrationality is clouding your judgement, and at this point, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue.

Go back to your damn console or don't back up your saves... why should I care?

I don't own a console, but thanks for the reasonable argument for GFWL. I'm sure you have convinced many people that it doesn't suck.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Indeed. GFWL was supposed to add some simplicity to Gaming. A way to improve the experience. On the PC side anyway, it has been a complete failure. Many other services existed prior to it that do what GFWL was supposed to do and they do it many times better.

I think the real reason was that MS wanted to transition PC gamers and PC game developers to Xbox.

MS clearly isn't trying to improve Windows gaming.