TF2 Servers? Yes! We have a new TF2 Group :-)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BF04
Got it listed in Fav. now thanks.

Another newb question if you do not mind. Is this a beta? Their are not many maps and I am just curious if their coming out with alot more and or do we have to pay for a retail type? I have looked around the web but not alot of info.

No, not a beta. Those are all of the maps available for now, though many custom maps are starting to pop up all over the place, some good, some not so good.

KT

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
The server will be taken down in a few days. I don't have hardly any time to play any more due to work/classes/family.

Sorry for the buzzkill and the terribly run tf2 server the past month or 2 =)

on the upside i did kill 33 straight as an engi the other day =)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BadRobot
The server will be taken down in a few days. I don't have hardly any time to play any more due to work/classes/family.

Sorry for the buzzkill and the terribly run tf2 server the past month or 2 =)

on the upside i did kill 33 straight as an engi the other day =)

:(

Oh well, good luck!

How much does it cost to get a decent server up and running anyway?

KT

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
When I looked into it, a good, 100 tick server was ~$50 a month.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Beev
When I looked into it, a good, 100 tick server was ~$50 a month.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Where can I go to find more information?

KT

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I just googled "team fortress 2 server" and "counterstrike server" etc and just looked around. I'm not sure who the best to use would be. I know eventually we'll have a website server (or 5 :))

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I just googled "team fortress 2 server" and "counterstrike server" etc and just looked around. I'm not sure who the best to use would be. I know eventually we'll have a website server (or 5 :))

Heh, cool. I just did that. I'll take a look around and see what's out there.

Cheers,
KT

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I've grown attached to the "Sunlit TF2 Redux" server. Good ping, basic rotation, and almost always full.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've grown attached to the "Sunlit TF2 Redux" server. Good ping, basic rotation, and almost always full.

Do you have the IP? I have a tough time finding these servers without the IP. :eek:

KT

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Do you have the IP? I have a tough time finding these servers without the IP. :eek:

KT

69.28.221.231:27016

They have another server too that I play on if it's on a map I prefer, but it isn't full as often:

69.28.221.231:27015

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Good stuff, thanks. I'll add them to my faves when I get home. :thumbsup:

KT

Dec 27, 2001
Well, I just got my 1U Xeon 3060 Dell server. I'm going to be getting some colocation space in the next couple weeks. I'm trying for a space in a data center that has a pair of OC146 connections. Once I'm there, I'll open up a server that will run a handful of small time websites and 2-3 game servers. That will smoke any $60 hosting you're going to find where they pack 8-12 servers on lesser boxes.

For now, I mostly play on the SourceOP server which is 32 players and almost always full. It has standard maps and rotation as well as stats. Try that one and if most people have good pings, we can make ATOT our clan tag.

74.54.24.194:27015

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Nice HOP, I'll check that out when I get home. Let us know when you get up and running. :)

KT

Dec 27, 2001
Oh man... Gotta love games like this:

http://www.clanvclan.com/images/Dom2.jpg

Well I stick to 32 player servers where it's a little more difficult to rack up insane numbers of kills without a decent number of deaths.

With two medics being the next highest score totals I think it's safe to assume one or both were pretty consistently healing you or each other. 10v10 with decent tactics that's tough to beat.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I had the weirdest thing happen. I had put auto-cinnect on a server that was full. I then went to another server and started playing, knowing I would eventually get taken to the first server once a spot opened.

When that eventually happened, I was playing for a bit then noticed I was not playing as KeithTalent, I was playing as someone named 'nullname'. So I left the server and went back to the old one I was at and it said I was banned, then I tried another and it said I was banned.

I had to restart Steam to get things right again.

Very, very strange. :confused:

KT

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Oh man... Gotta love games like this:

http://www.clanvclan.com/images/Dom2.jpg

Well I stick to 32 player servers where it's a little more difficult to rack up insane numbers of kills without a decent number of deaths.

With two medics being the next highest score totals I think it's safe to assume one or both were pretty consistently healing you or each other. 10v10 with decent tactics that's tough to beat.

Well, it was 12v12, but that was the end of the map so people left. I play on 32 player servers from time to time, and it's definitely harder to live. I think I can attribute my longevity due to the lack of spies. I never got stabbed once.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
(yes, I know I'm bumping a "dead" thread)

Just got Orange Box last week - been playing TF2 mostly. My Steam name is HoosTrax. I think I already saw a few people I recognize (like SexyK aka AgentZero).

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AmberClad
(yes, I know I'm bumping a "dead" thread)

Just got Orange Box last week - been playing TF2 mostly. My Steam name is HoosTrax. I think I already saw a few people I recognize (like SexyK aka AgentZero).

Well you can always add me as a friend, I'm on quite often (this game is like teh crack for me). I'm under KeithTalent, but I most often play on West Coast servers since, um, I'm located on the West Coast.

KT