TF2 question

O2Deprived

Feb 22, 2007
I just picked up the game and installed it last night but didn't get a chance to try it out. Where is a good place to practice so I don't hinder my team too much in real action?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: O2Deprived
I just picked up the game and installed it last night but didn't get a chance to try it out. Where is a good place to practice so I don't hinder my team too much in real action?

Don't worry about it, no one else does. :)

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I'd say just jump in as a medic and follow people around and watch for a while.

When your dude says "I am fully charged", right click on your mouse and watch the guy you are healing go bananas. Later on you'll get the hang of timing and you'll learn what other classes do while healing them.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah go medic...We could always use more.

After that, try pyro or soldier for some good clean killing.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
The best way to learn, and in fact play, is change sides to the winning team. This gives you the luxury to play around with the different characters without pressure to perform. The last thing you want, at this early stage, is to play the game on the losing team. You'll be run over so fast you won't even know what hit you.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have to disagree with Medic. Along with Engineer, Medic is one of the worst noob teammates to have because it is very noticeable and can be quite frustrating.

I would recommend playing Soldier, or even Sniper (my first character) as they are easy to get a handle on and you can be sucking, doing nothing and nobody will really notice.

Don't forget to join the ATTF2 group though we never seem to get together anymore to play, but you can at least see a few friendly faces out there to help you along.

Good luck!

KT

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I would disagree with sniper. :)

Any competent team will notice a terrible sniper. I know the server I play on chastises them regularly. A if they suck, B if they are doing it on offense(depending on playmode).

Soldier maybe, since it's basically a "standard" class.

Medic still easiest to support people while "learning." You can do a lot while not knowing you are doing it. Medic is mindless and easy imo.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Lamont Burns

Any competent team will notice a terrible sniper. I know the server I play on chastises them regularly. A if they suck, B if they are doing it on offense(depending on playmode).

Medic still easiest to support people while "learning." You can do a lot while not knowing you are doing it. Medic is mindless and easy imo.

That's funny, everyone just ignores the Snipers on the servers I play on, unless they are kicking ass, which some do, or unless there are too many of them.

KT

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
A bad medic is definately noticeable during the uber. If you don't run ahead to take SG kickback or fail to keep yourself in range after an AB then there isn't much point in using the uber to begin with.

On the flip side people that don't know how to use an uber are probably worse. They have wasted time an effort that a good player has spent getting the uber charged.

Examples: Soldiers who don't know how to fire and duck repeatedly while kritzkrieged and instead just charge in to become giblets. Demo's who go in flailing instead of making calculated sticky shots against the guns. Anyone who fails to follow a medic that's running ahead with the uber...oh that one sucks.

I suppose the most epic bad would be an engineer who puts a retarded teleporter location in place.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
This weekend will be a great time to practice for you. It's going to be a free weekend so you can count on many inexperienced players being on.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

That's funny, everyone just ignores the Snipers on the servers I play on, unless they are kicking ass, which some do, or unless there are too many of them.

KT

I get bitter if my team has like 3 snipers and none of them can seem to conutersnipe the one enemy sniper that is decimating our team.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: SexyK
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

I get bitter if my team has like 3 snipers and none of them can seem to conutersnipe the one enemy sniper that is decimating our team.

That's what Spies are for. :D

KT

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
To the OP, you could try what I did when I first got the game. I went through each map on my own created server to get an idea of where things are, how long it takes to get to certain places and whatnot, then I went online and played it. :)

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Public server are just that, public servers. Do what you want man, you aren't going to hinder any one any more than the other noobies that are on there. The rest of the players on your team payed the same amount of money for the game and are using the server at the same expense: none.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Don't worry about being a noob. Everyone is at one time or another. Just get in a game and have fun.

As for how to start..

I would say do NOT pick medic first. It's a relatively easy class to play and for the most part you'll be helping your team but... Your team is going to have some expectations of you regarding effective ubers. You can screw up an offensive charge pretty bad for the whole team if you don't know what you're doing.

Start with a soldier. You have most of the skills already from playing other shooters. Just spawn and run the direction that everyone else is running. Don't forget to reload. :)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Smilin
Don't worry about being a noob. Everyone is at one time or another. Just get in a game and have fun.

As for how to start..

I would say do NOT pick medic first. It's a relatively easy class to play and for the most part you'll be helping your team but... Your team is going to have some expectations of you regarding effective ubers. You can screw up an offensive charge pretty bad for the whole team if you don't know what you're doing.

Start with a soldier. You have most of the skills already from playing other shooters. Just spawn and run the direction that everyone else is running. Don't forget to reload. :)
I wouldn't pick Medic first either. I guess it's an easy class to play but it takes some skill and experience to know how to effectively play the class. There isn't enough Medics, and as it is half of them I see usually blow at it.

Pyro or Soldier are good starting classes IMO. But in general I wouldn't worry too much about it, just jump in and start playing. Starting your own server up and learning the maps a bit might be beneficial too.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
pick engineer...

that way you are usualy in the back and learn the level

Agreed. Most maps, for equality sake, are mirror images, so once you know your team's surroundings you'll know what's ahead. The ones that aren't mirror images usually have you switching sides a lot so knowing your turf will mean knowing your enemies turf the next round.

Just build a sentry and dispenser somewhere near your team but not in the open and keep an eye on it. Don't sit on them like you're hatching an egg, roam around getting to know the area and watching for anybody uncloaking or randomly heading towards your sentry. If you're too far behind your team, destroy your sentry and dispenser and move them up closer. On CTF maps, find a good chokepoint in your base and set up there.

Once you're familiar with the game, try out whatever looks fun to you, but, at least you'll know where you're going and why. If you need specific advice on anything, ask in the team chat and people will help you out. I've listened to pro players guilding newbies along......"follow me" "Hit your uber now" "run away" "build a sentry here", etc.

RedsevN

Oct 24, 2007
When I first started TF2, my starting classes were Scout, Medic, Engy, and Soldier. Scout because it was run and gun, and the fast running helps you learn a level quickly. Soldier because it's probably the most all-around offensive class. Engy because.... I don't really know. I learned a choke point or two on some of the more common maps and I placed some sentries there.... the rest just fell into place. Now, as a medic... I consider playing a medic pretty mindless, as all you do is hold down left-click and hide from the enemy while healing your partner. However, it's obviously not brainless... if you have half a brain, you should know that if the person you're healing is at full buff and someone next to you is down to half HP, switch and heal them! Spread the healing love around, and it keeps your team around for that much longer. I have to admit I haven't quite learned how to use an effective uber, though... normally, depending on the map, I'll uber a Pyro or a Soldier, unless there is a good heavy around (I've found that when I uber most heavies, they sit there and shoot from long range, not killing anyone, until the uber runs out and they get slaughtered because they're sitting there with five enemies training their guns on him. I follow him to the grave soon afterwards because he ran too far out into the open for me to run back.

But anyway.... now that I've had a little more experience playing the classes under my belt, I'd say Pyro is a great class as a beginner, as long as you take a few minutes to learn how the flamethrower attacks (trailing flames). After about two days of Pyro, I dominate every Pyro v. Pyro match I encounter... too bad I ran into the Heavy update, because they just have too much HP and do much more damage at close range, but I can normally take out the medic that's usually paired on the heavy before I die. Igniting everyone you run into is also a good way to chip down the opposing team's health so your teammates have an easier time.

udneekgnim

Jun 27, 2008
Originally posted by: O2Deprived

high pop Fort2 server

unless 1 team is full of absolute idiots, most games are at a standstill

so it won't matter how much you suck

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
depends on what game you come from. from Q3/UT, play scout to match it's speed, from CS, you won't have a problem. if you have no idea about FPS, soldier or demo and camp it, heavy is tempting but it takes some good aim to be great.