TF2 noob here, I have some questions for the vets.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
So I played last night for 2 hours. Spent most of the time in a control point server, I played mostly with the pyro and it was very cool and fun, favorited server and I plan to play there again. Then I checked another server with the game where you have to push the minecart, before entering it warned me that the server had been set up with more players than designed by valve and the game experience might suffer from it. I ignored the warning and sure enough, there were too many people running around, shooting each other and I couldn't even tell what was going on so I quit pretty fast, hopefully I'll find a normal server to try that mode again. Finally I played in some sort of deathmatch server with no respawns and the last team standing wins, the players were all pretty experienced so I got killed at the start of the match and had to just spectate it, needless to say, I lasted less than 10 minutes there.
I guess there'll be more servers tonight so I'll get to try more stuff :)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
So I played last night for 2 hours. Spent most of the time in a control point server, I played mostly with the pyro and it was very cool and fun, favorited server and I plan to play there again. Then I checked another server with the game where you have to push the minecart, before entering it warned me that the server had been set up with more players than designed by valve and the game experience might suffer from it. I ignored the warning and sure enough, there were too many people running around, shooting each other and I couldn't even tell what was going on so I quit pretty fast, hopefully I'll find a normal server to try that mode again. Finally I played in some sort of deathmatch server with no respawns and the last team standing wins, the players were all pretty experienced so I got killed at the start of the match and had to just spectate it, needless to say, I lasted less than 10 minutes there.

The server favorite list works like shit, at least for me. I have a few servers favorited but they never show up, or a couple do and it's a different couple every time.

I play 95% payload, since the server I play on is 24/7 badwater/goldrush. Control points are fun sometimes, but I rarely ever get tired of payload. I tried the deathmatch mode for about as long as you, didn't like it either.

Also, the 32 player servers are my favorite, I find the pace too slow when there's less.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
play on my server and i'll tutor the shit out of your face

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
play on my server and i'll tutor the shit out of your face
heh, actually I went to your server last night, it was (understandably) empty at 1:00 am central time, but I put it in my favorites and will be visiting often.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
@ Howard, what type of server do you run (24/7 or variety, crit/no-crit, etc.)?

@ OP, welcome to TF2! Ah, I remember the first time I played the game, had no idea what I was doing but had a lot of fun and stuck with it, though it was day 1 of the pre-release beta so pretty much everyone was learning on the go.

Learn to use your favorite and blacklist options. You will find many a server in your browser that shows "21/24" players for instance and then when you join you see no one is there (or it's all bots). You can blacklist these servers so they no longer clutter your server browser. I'd recommend sticking to servers with 24 players or less (IMHO 9v9 is the perfect number, but that's my personal preference), anything over that and it just becomes too crowded and spammy, which some enjoy, while others don't.

I'd recommend some servers but for some reason Steam lost all my favorites (21 servers down the drain...) so I currently have none, but I'm sure you'll build a list of ones you like over time. The most important thing is finding one that is hosted by a good community of players.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
24/7 pl_goldrush

no mods, some extra features (rockthevote, votescramble, losing team top 3 scoreboard display, etc.)

Cool. Mind PM'ing me the address? While I can get tired of Goldrush pretty easily, I still do play it from time to time (all things in moderation!).