TF2 beta with Orange Box Pre-Order

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yup, I agree. It sucks because owners own more, but at the same time... they deserve it.

darom

Dec 3, 2002
I bought that package yesterday, after 3 hours of download, I was able to play TF2 finally. I am a big fan of CS, CS:S and most FPS and was looking forward to another shooter with a strategy mix. Unfortunatly TF2 completely disappointed me. The game looked like a mess, carnage, $hit load of people shooting at each other. Thank God, there was no friendly fire. The whole strategy is around medics helping people and all the team members madly shooting at the entrance to the map to prevent other team from popping their heads out. So I did the same, became a rocket guy (soldier?) and was strafing back and forth shooting rockets. Whoohoo!!! Apparently it worked because I started to climb the points ladder. This was combined with occasional deaths by spies whom I didn't see in that barrage of exploisions. I felt like I was stuck on one of those crowded subways in New York with a ton of people per square foot.

Here is what I noticed: it was quite frequent when people got carried away at shooting, that they stopped noticing their enemies among them. It was a sight that made me laugh due to that TF2 cartoonish look. TF2 a-la Mad Max style.

I guess it is still ok to pay $45 for this package since it comes with other things I can play. I wish Valve continued the CS:S development and added maybe new classes/weapons/maps/cheating detection there.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm guessing you played an attack/defend, and you were an attacker. That's the purpose of the defenders, prevent you from getting to their point. Try something like Well or Granary.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
I heard Orange Box went gold. Wonder if use people who got it off steam will get the final TF2 before it hits the shelves.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: gizbug
I heard Orange Box went gold. Wonder if use people who got it off steam will get the final TF2 before it hits the shelves.

I hope they release more maps on release day. the map count in its current state it pathetic for a full fledged game.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Supposed to be only 6 maps on release day. More later.

How many do we have now? :confused: Off the top of my head I would say 4, but can't recall exactly.

KT

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

How many do we have now? :confused: Off the top of my head I would say 4, but can't recall exactly.

KT

There are 6 now.

And they patched again today... I recommend using the minihud under multiplayer options. ;)

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: Mutilator

KT

There are 6 now.

And they patched again today... I recommend using the minihud under multiplayer options. ;)

I had to update last night but didn't see any changes associated with it...What did they change this time?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

KT

There are 6 now.

really, six? 2fort, well, hydro, and another are all i can think of and remember ever playing.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RandomFool

KT

There are 6 now.

I had to update last night but didn't see any changes associated with it...What did they change this time?

they added a tally of how many people are playing what class on your team on the class selection screen.
someone said they added a "very high" option to one of the video options.

while playing 2fort, i saw a message come up that said "60 seconds until gates open" or something like that. WTF are gates? i never saw this before.

would be nice for documentation, but i think when they do document it, they still leave some stuff out.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

KT

There are 6 now.

really, six? 2fort, well, hydro, and another are all i can think of and remember ever playing.

Yeah, same. Anyway I'm on my home to find out. :)

KT

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: RandomFool

KT

There are 6 now.

* Added "Very High" texture resolution option
* Added "Minimal HUD" option to Options->Multiplayer
* Fixed headshots not always registering for crouched players
* Fixed player interpolation bug that caused jittery player animation in some cases
* Fixed rare crash when players exited water
* Fixed server crash related to Spy sappers
* Fixed overlapping UI elements in Options->Video->Advanced
* Fixed non-English language text overlapping in a few places
* Fixed players being able to use spectator points in dustbowl that were not in play
* Removed "listdeaths" command that could be abused by clients

As for the maps they're
2fort, Well, Hydro, Granary, Dustbowl, Gravelpit

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: darom
I bought that package yesterday, after 3 hours of download, I was able to play TF2 finally. I am a big fan of CS, CS:S and most FPS and was looking forward to another shooter with a strategy mix. Unfortunatly TF2 completely disappointed me. The game looked like a mess, carnage, $hit load of people shooting at each other. Thank God, there was no friendly fire. The whole strategy is around medics helping people and all the team members madly shooting at the entrance to the map to prevent other team from popping their heads out. So I did the same, became a rocket guy (soldier?) and was strafing back and forth shooting rockets. Whoohoo!!! Apparently it worked because I started to climb the points ladder. This was combined with occasional deaths by spies whom I didn't see in that barrage of exploisions. I felt like I was stuck on one of those crowded subways in New York with a ton of people per square foot.

Here is what I noticed: it was quite frequent when people got carried away at shooting, that they stopped noticing their enemies among them. It was a sight that made me laugh due to that TF2 cartoonish look. TF2 a-la Mad Max style.

I guess it is still ok to pay $45 for this package since it comes with other things I can play. I wish Valve continued the CS:S development and added maybe new classes/weapons/maps/cheating detection there.

I can understand someone coming from the CS world not being entirely comfortable with the TF world, especially the ultra-surreal TF2 incarnation which we are currently discussing. I played TFC before I got into CS back in the day, and I loved the off-the-wall unrealistic feel of it (although, if you think about it, the ultrarealistic tactical shooter was not in full bloom back then, so maybe TF2 is a reaction to Battlefield: Call of Ghost Recon Six ism and a return to our roots in an extreme way). I think TF2 is really fantastic and I'm looking forward to the many frenetic battles I'll be treated to in the future.

And for the record, I was born and raised in NYC, and I love the subway too ;)

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
i haven't noticed any change with the minimal hud option on.

Should make everything a little smaller... most noticeable would be your player class icon in the bottom left.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Looks like there's a custom ctf map out there called Mach.

played it today. didn't think it was very good, also had at least one bug in it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Looks like there's a custom ctf map out there called Mach.

played it today. didn't think it was very good, also had at least one bug in it.

Good to see they are starting up already though, considering the game is not officially out yet. :thumbsup:

I'll have to take a look for that later.

KT

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Pre-load is now available for Portals and Episode 2 for those of you who are unaware.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I bought that package yesterday, after 3 hours of download, I was able to play TF2 finally. I am a big fan of CS, CS:S and most FPS and was looking forward to another shooter with a strategy mix. Unfortunatly TF2 completely disappointed me. The game looked like a mess, carnage, $hit load of people shooting at each other.

I had a hard time telling if you were being sarcastic or not, because that's the whole point of Team Fortress! It's all about fast paced, chaotic and unrealistic carnage. Strategy can be important if you actually want to "win" the maps (e.g. capping flag). It's especially important on attacker/defender maps like dustbowl.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: flyboy84

I can understand someone coming from the CS world not being entirely comfortable with the TF world, especially the ultra-surreal TF2 incarnation which we are currently discussing. I played TFC before I got into CS back in the day, and I loved the off-the-wall unrealistic feel of it (although, if you think about it, the ultrarealistic tactical shooter was not in full bloom back then, so maybe TF2 is a reaction to Battlefield: Call of Ghost Recon Six ism and a return to our roots in an extreme way). I think TF2 is really fantastic and I'm looking forward to the many frenetic battles I'll be treated to in the future.

And for the record, I was born and raised in NYC, and I love the subway too ;)

Although I haven't played CS:S in a couple months I am coming from the CS world and I really am enjoying TF2 I've never played the original back in the day. I was caught up in Action Quake 2 at the time. Anyway I try to find servers with 20 or less ppl. I try to avoid 20+ because there is just to much crap flying around. But I was always the same with CS:S I want 10-16 player matches not 32 player bullet fest in Office. I really don't see how ppl can play like that.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Man I love this game. Just played about an hour straight without even really realizing it. I've racked up a ton of time (and points) as a medic, which is by far my most played class. We managed to defend the final point on Dustbowl for over 21 minutes tonight with only 2 SGs for the first 18 minutes. Then on Granary, we staged a dramatic come from behind win that really surprised me.

I think Gravel Pit is my favorite map, but then again attack/defend was always my favorite style of play. You really need to be organized and know what you're doing when you're attacking though - we lost because a third to half of our team was busy setting up defenses around points A and B after they had already been capped.