TF2 and WoW constant stuttering and low frames

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Ok, tried all of this and also flashed my mobo with the most recent BIOS, all to no avail. My frames are actually a bit better now (I was able to play TF2 for a little while) but after quitting the game SpeedFan still showed my CPU at 85 degrees.

So have I exhausted all of my options with this CPU?

KT

Thats one hot CPU, new cooler perhaps?

I guess, but I can't see how that would be the problem. It's not like the fan is not spinning. It idles in the 30s.

KT

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
yeah, that just doesn't sound right. You've already tried re-mounting it, but check it again - make sure the push-pins are locked in like they should be, maybe try pressing down on it (not the fan part, but the heatsink) while it's running to see if that cools it down a little.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: zagood
yeah, that just doesn't sound right. You've already tried re-mounting it, but check it again - make sure the push-pins are locked in like they should be, maybe try pressing down on it (not the fan part, but the heatsink) while it's running to see if that cools it down a little.

Interesting you mention that because I did notice one of the plastic, locking pin things was slightly askew. When I pressed on one pin to clip it in, the other side would lift up. It still felt stable though once I pushed it around enough, but maybe it is still out of whack. I'll try the push test when I get home tonight. Thanks.

KT

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Ick, it's a push-pin HSF? Didn't realize that :p.

I hate them with a passion, but I'm too cheap to get a decent cooler for my secondary rigs. They always take me forever to install because I'm never sure if the direction that the arrows point means "lock" or "unlock". In my experience though, if I lock down one pin and then trying to lock the opposite pin causes the first to pop out, it usually means I've locked it in the wrong direction.

Also, I've found that it's easier to use a screwdriver to turn the pins than to turn them with my fingers.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Ick, it's a push-pin HSF? Didn't realize that :p.

I hate them with a passion, but I'm too cheap to get a decent cooler for my secondary rigs. They always take me forever to install because I'm never sure if the direction that the arrows point means "lock" or "unlock". In my experience though, if I lock down one pin and then trying to lock the opposite pin causes the first to pop out, it usually means I've locked it in the wrong direction.

Also, I've found that it's easier to use a screwdriver to turn the pins than to turn them with my fingers.

Yeah the stupid thing is annoying. I have been putting the pins in the same direction before pressing it down and trying to lock it, but maybe I just need to fiddle with it some more because one of them seems to always want to pop up for whatever reason.

KT

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
That's going to be your problem. It shouldn't tilt back and forth at all.

Check the plastic pins to make sure they're not screwed up. It's easy to mount it once incorrectly and skew the pins outwards if you miss the hole. If that happened, bend them back so they're approximately the right shape. There's some instructions and diagrams here:

http://www.pcstats.com/article...?articleid=2231&page=6

If the pins are too jacked up or broken off, you're going to need to replace the heatsink. I'd recommend you do it anyway. Check Cases and Cooling for some recommendations.

-z

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: zagood
That's going to be your problem. It shouldn't tilt back and forth at all.

Check the plastic pins to make sure they're not screwed up. It's easy to mount it once incorrectly and skew the pins outwards if you miss the hole. If that happened, bend them back so they're approximately the right shape. There's some instructions and diagrams here:

http://www.pcstats.com/article...?articleid=2231&page=6

If the pins are too jacked up or broken off, you're going to need to replace the heatsink. I'd recommend you do it anyway. Check Cases and Cooling for some recommendations.

-z

Cool, thanks. I bet that is exactly what happened then. I'll pull everything out when I get home and see if I can at least temporarily fix it since I don't have time to hit the computer store right now.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So it seems that was the problem. I had the pins going every which way and they were not locked in properly. I just played 2 hours of WoW and my CPU is at a nice and cool 33 degrees.

Sometimes my own idiocy amazes me. :eek:

KT

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
So it seems that was the problem. I had the pins going every which way and they were not locked in properly. I just played 2 hours of WoW and my CPU is at a nice and cool 33 degrees.

Sometimes my own idiocy amazes me. :eek:

KT

Good to know you fixed it!