Texas Secession 'Closer' Than Anyone Thinks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The Scots - Irish make up the biggest single demographic of Texas assholes so guess what? Think Orangemen in cowboy hats, football fans with guns.
As an aside what's the thinking on the Texas "Irish"?
Like the Irish Irish politics is Catholic, left wing, and in favour of a united and independent Ireland.
The British irish politics is Protestant, right wing (ish), and in favour of NI being part of the UK.

I'm guessing that Texas "Irish" politics don't align with any of that. I'm thinking that they are in favour of a united Ireland but very much not in favour of the left wing side of things?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
As an aside what's the thinking on the Texas "Irish"?
Like the Irish Irish politics is Catholic, left wing, and in favour of a united and independent Ireland.
The British irish politics is Protestant, right wing (ish), and in favour of NI being part of the UK.

I'm guessing that Texas "Irish" politics don't align with any of that. I'm thinking that they are in favour of a united Ireland but very much not in favour of the left wing side of things?
The Scots - Irish aren't in any way Irish. They started as Scottish Presbyterians who passed through Ireland on their way to God's Country (where they could keep slaves). They tend to be deeply conservative.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The Scots - Irish aren't in any way Irish. They started as Scottish Presbyterians who passed through Ireland on their way to God's Country (where they could keep slaves). They tend to be deeply conservative.
I would bet you that they make up the bulk of the Appalachian population. They were great at getting rid of the indigenous population. And before you get your hackles up, I'm 1/4.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So do the descendants of those guys consider themselves Irish or Scottish?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Buh-bye.

Of course I'm in Florida so if Jesusland/Redneckia actually comes to fruition I'd have to move. Planning to retire elsewhere, it's tough for a bunch of reasons to GTFO right now. Just glad my youngest got through school before Desantis and his merry band of assholes called a "state government" get through setting back education 100 years.

Why is keeping the country together so important in the first place? If you were in an abusive marriage wouldn't it be time to go separate ways?

The Civil War needed to be fought because of slavery, but not to hold together a bunch of incompatible people who stole the land in the first place.

Might be time to rip the bandaid off! I've considered this country to be in a state of civil war for years now, and only a non-shooting one because the battle lines are in every neighborhood and even house.

Unfortunately, Jesusland would be gearing up for war once they start running out of money--or for religious reasons--so splitting up might not accomplish anything.

Last edited:

APU_Fusion

Dec 16, 2013
Buh-bye.

Of course I'm in Florida so if Jesusland/Redneckia actually comes to fruition I'd have to move. Planning to retire elsewhere, it's tough for a bunch of reasons to GTFO right now. Just glad my youngest got through school before Desantis and his merry band of assholes called a "state government" get through setting back education 100 years.

Why is keeping the country together so important in the first place? If you were in an abusive marriage wouldn't it be time to go separate ways?

The Civil War needed to be fought because of slavery, but not to hold together a bunch of incompatible people who stole the land in the first place.

Might be time to rip the bandaid off! I've considered this country to be in a state of civil war for years now, and only a non-shooting one because the battle lines are in every neighborhood and even house.

Unfortunately, Jesusland would be gearing up for war once they start running out of money--or for religious reasons--so splitting up might not accomplish anything.
Consider the logistics of succession. Where do the millions of Americans go who live in Florida who don’t want succession. What about the military assets, the border, the federal dollars creating jobs. Florida would collapse so fast as to be laughable if it seceded. America would strip Florida bare of all military and federal assets and jobs. All the companies in Florida now would leave with a simple you have presence in Florida you are banned from doing business in United States.

The logistics, economic crisis and violence of succession is incalcuable.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Do you really want to live downwind or downstream from a red state that succeeds? They will deregulate everything and strip all their natural resources.

If they want to succeed they can do so with their blood.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Buh-bye.

Slavery is in the Bible, they might just bring it back if they got their theocracy going.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Where would you deport them to?

Surely just need to confine them all to [consults map] Padre Island. Call it the "Padre Strip" maybe?
Padre Island is way too nice for that.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
With Texas out of NAFTA old Mexico can raise them there tariffs to 100% Trump style on all Texas imports along with the US. Those pesky federal dollars and jobs and military and assistance go boom boom too. It is just rabble rousing to the ignorant masses who live in delusional about the logistics or reality of trying to secede. Does make me giggle a bit.
If you actually talk to these people, you'll quickly see that what they think they would get is being American without the federal government telling them what to do. So basically they'd get all of the benefits and none of the downsides.

• Haha
Reactions: esquared

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Find a suitable island or two. Preferably somewhere that had multiple rounds of nuclear testing.

Seeing as if they're already half way there, give them secessionists a coupl'a years to ripen up a bit on those islands and the American TV series magnates could fire up a Walking Dead Reality TV Series lickety-split no problemo what with all of those Texan zombies available for casting.