Texas Judge Orders Young Man to Marry Girlfriend and Write Bible Verses to Avoid Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Huh!..
guns.gif

Texas man facing jail time for getting into a fight with his girlfriend’s old boyfriend was given two choices by an East Texas judge: go to jail or marry his girlfriend in 30 days, and to write Bible verses.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/2...st-texas-man-to-get-married-or-face-jail-time

Josten Bundy stood before Smith County Judge Randall Rogers in mid-July on misdemeanor charges of assault after getting into a fight with the ex-boyfriend of his girlfriend at the time, Elizabeth Jaynes. According to Bundy, the judge gave him a choice: 15 days in jail or marry his girlfriend within thirty days as part of his probation.

Last edited by a moderator:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I can't see how that can be legal.

I wonder what would happen if the GF said no. we need more then 30 days to prepare the wedding?

or she didn't want to merry him at all.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
If the defendant already at some prior point expressed or noted his religious belief or persuasion to the judge as Christian, then I don't have a problem with it. But if it was something like 'I don't have any interest in 5000 year-old superstition, your honor' and the judge did it anyway, or worse, did it specifically because he disclaimed an interest or belief in it, now I've got a problem with it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I can't see how that can be legal.

I wonder what would happen if the GF said no. we need more then 30 days to prepare the wedding?

or she didn't want to merry him at all.

Maybe she just wanted to happy him... ():)

Status
Not open for further replies.