Texas GOP Executive Body to vote on secession

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Try to imagine how difficult it is to belong to a sub-culture in a culture that looks down its nose at you like you are a backward bigoted idiot and have that opinion be basically true.

It isn't easy being a CBD. One's dignity as a human being is under constant attack. It's what it used to be like for gays. The tables have been turned and the cultural cowboy tough-guy culture has become a negative with a huge majority of women.

The whole thrust of CBD culture is all about protecting and trying to reestablish the top dog envy it used to have.

Yes, in short, CBDs are experiencing a crisis in self-image, surfacing of feelings of self hate they could more easily suppress when their clown culture was widely respected.

This is the fate of those who attach their ego to culture and extract a sense of self worth vicariously, by being or imagining one to be a member of some exclusive and hot group.

Always the identification with the external and never any sense of ones intrinsic self worth.

Today, pig farmers are out and the geeks and metrosexuals are in.

===========================

Greenman: Interesting view. I just spent a week in one of those sparsely populated red county's and was very surprised at how polite and friendly every single person I met was.

M: While I don't see why you were surprised, I support your opinion. CBDs are wonderful people generally. In many ways they are the soul of America, simple, uncomplicated, spontaneously naturally real, yet maybe too troubled by things that go bmp in the night. They are a lot like you, a protector from folk who abuse others, full of moral character, under a defined range of conditions.

G: Edit: It's also surprising how small minded, bigoted, and smugly superior some of you are. Thank God you're all entirely ineffectual.

M: CBDs don't have a patent on self hate. Everybody with ego suffers from an inferiority complex and engages in denigrating the "other" Don't fall into that trap. Everyone was created in Gods image. The job at hand is learning to love.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It isn't easy being a CBD. One's dignity as a human being is under constant attack. It's what it used to be like for gays. The tables have been turned and the cultural cowboy tough-guy culture has become a negative with a huge majority of women.

Please enlighten and inform my ignorance.

What is the acronym "CBD?" I wouldn't ask, having done a web search, but I'm firm in my belief that Cannabidiol is a gift from the Almighty. Cannabidiol pops up on the top of the heap when I search for the acronym.

The "CBD's" you refer to -- whatever it means -- aren't gifts from the Almighty. I'm guessing that they just think they are.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

What is the acronym "CBD?" I wouldn't ask, having done a web search, but I'm firm in my belief that Cannabidiol is a gift from the Almighty. Cannabidiol pops up on the top of the heap when I search for the acronym.

The "CBD's" you refer to -- whatever it means -- aren't gifts from the Almighty. I'm guessing that they just think they are.

Conservative Brain Defectives, a term I use to denote those who tend toward irrational ,emotionally biased thinking and whose brain scans indicate an enlarged right amygdala, and a more underdeveloped anterior cingulate. I define this as a defect because it is symptomatic of a willingness to turn on ones own team, ones fellow Americans and liberals in particular, in the absence of an external threat. The right Amygdala is associated with fear and the Cingulate moderation of emotion affecting thinking.

16 Peer reviewed studies on the subject can be found here:

http://2012election.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004818

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Conservative Brain Defectives, a term I use to denote those who tend toward irrational ,emotionally biased thinking and whose brain scans indicate an enlarged right amygdala, and a more underdeveloped anterior cingulate. I define this as a defect because it is symptomatic of a willingness to turn on ones own team, ones fellow Americans and liberals in particular, in the absence of an external threat. The right Amygdala is associated with fear and the Cingulate moderation of emotion affecting thinking.

Jeez! That now seems so obvious, so insightful -- it should be included in the internet dictionaries of Internet Acronyms! I'm amazed I didn't figure it out on my own! [Makes me wonder about myself! Just "slow," I guess . . ]

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Jeez! That now seems so obvious, so insightful -- it should be included in the internet dictionaries of Internet Acronyms! I'm amazed I didn't figure it out on my own! [Makes me wonder about myself! Just "slow," I guess . . ]

I am constantly having to look up these letter thingi and usually include at least one spelled out version in my post just in case somebody comes to my usage fresh. Of course, I'm always wondering about myself.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I don't know of anyone that supports secession. Most people I know also laugh every time talk of such comes out.

A former KGB official in today's Russia had remarked only a few years ago that he predicted the US would break apart. He had actually suggested which regions would become separate states, but I don't remember the specifics.

So -- since wild speculation and absurd inference seems to be the trademark of conservative extremists these days -- one could say that the secessionists -- in Alaska, in Texas or wherever -- are following the COMMIE PLAYBOOK!!

What's good for the goose, is sauce for the gander.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I am constantly having to look up these letter thingi and usually include at least one spelled out version in my post just in case somebody comes to my usage fresh. Of course, I'm always wondering about myself.

Do you think that CBDs would improve their cerebral performance if they self-medicate with regular doses of CBD? :D

In 1969, I knew a college physics major -- great legs and great everything -- she was a skier.

She told me she smoked pot when she did her physics homework. It helped with her enjoyment of working with infinite series and integration problems -- ya see. She was in the top of her class at one of UC's best Physics departments.

I can only say "That's what she told me."

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
A former KGB official in today's Russia had remarked only a few years ago that he predicted the US would break apart. He had actually suggested which regions would become separate states, but I don't remember the specifics.

So -- since wild speculation and absurd inference seems to be the trademark of conservative extremists these days -- one could say that the secessionists -- in Alaska, in Texas or wherever -- are following the COMMIE PLAYBOOK!!

What's good for the goose, is sauce for the gander.

I'd rather they just utilize their ability to subdivide into up to 5 states as specified when they joined the union. That way they can pocket the extra 8 Senators and likely permanently hold that body for the GOP. Leave the cities who will vote blue anyway in "Old Texas" and let the progressives there pay the welfare bills for their new neighbors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_divisionism

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Bonzai, if they ever legalize pot for non-medical use I will probably try it. I guess maybe anybody can get a license but as of yet I don't think anything about my health would truly warrant it. I did go once long ago to Amsterdam and discovered that wine was more to my taste. I was already too much of a thinker in those days and I could think so hard I would think how to walk. I could walk much better, I discovered, even if I was stagger drunk. Thinking is not the best way to travel, in my opinion, feeling is. Pot made me paranoid, I think thinking actually often is fear, and wine made me warmer and more friendly.

One thing I did notice, however, was a constant urge to stretch and yawn, a recognition that my normal conscious state is tense and asleep.

Back then I was doing a lot of 'allowing myself to feel what I feel' so I was opening a door that is very scary and that may account for my rather unfavorable reaction to pot.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

This is a bit surprising :)

Mr Duck, meet Mr Beam.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
They wanna make Obama invade them again?

Next time it'll be the real thing. Jade Helm (Oh, God- Jade Helm!!) was just a recon mission...

I don't pretend to understand Texas or their Repub leadership in particular, but they need to get out more & quit feeding each others' fantasies.

Do something real instead, something good for Texas.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'd rather they just utilize their ability to subdivide into up to 5 states as specified when they joined the union. That way they can pocket the extra 8 Senators and likely permanently hold that body for the GOP. Leave the cities who will vote blue anyway in "Old Texas" and let the progressives there pay the welfare bills for their new neighbors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_divisionism

Sometime -- maybe back in the '80s or '90s -- someone published a long newspaper article on "redefining states."

There was a reasoning behind it that administration of the various state jurisdictions would be much more efficient. But of course, the problem arises with long historical or cultural tradition, and a total upending of the status-quo.

Of course, the model they proposed also slivered Texas into two or more pieces. the Rednecks would be totally outraged.

Lately, there's been a discussion in CA to split the state into pieces. Some folks in the north think they're getting the shit end of the stick as it stands. They want to create a new state called "Jefferson" or something like that.

And that still ain't gonna happen, or so I predict.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Next time it'll be the real thing. Jade Helm (Oh, God- Jade Helm!!) was just a recon mission...

I don't pretend to understand Texas or their Repub leadership in particular, but they need to get out more & quit feeding each others' fantasies.

Do something real instead, something good for Texas.

They seem to lack any sense of embarrassment or shame. Must be a feature of paranoia.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Bonzai, if they ever legalize pot for non-medical use I will probably try it. I guess maybe anybody can get a license but as of yet I don't think anything about my health would truly warrant it. I did go once long ago to Amsterdam and discovered that wine was more to my taste. I was already too much of a thinker in those days and I could think so hard I would think how to walk. I could walk much better, I discovered, even if I was stagger drunk. Thinking is not the best way to travel, in my opinion, feeling is. Pot made me paranoid, I think thinking actually often is fear, and wine made me warmer and more friendly.

One thing I did notice, however, was a constant urge to stretch and yawn, a recognition that my normal conscious state is tense and asleep.

Back then I was doing a lot of 'allowing myself to feel what I feel' so I was opening a door that is very scary and that may account for my rather unfavorable reaction to pot.

I can't advise you either way . . [Sssssss-sss-tt! Ah-hock, ah-hock.]

The paranoia thing [Ssssss-ss-ttt! A-hck, a-hck.] is always troublesome to the neophytes.

In Texas, I think it was once the case [Ssssss-sss-tt! Ah-hock Ah-hock] . . . they'd put you in Huntsville for 20 years [ssssss-sss-tt!] . . . for a half-smoked doobie in your pocket.

At the same time, I knew an SMU student who manufactured "foos-ball" tables in his own little start-up company, dealing kilogram packages on the side.

Seriously, there's the "youth" problem. There was a train-wreck in Maryland a couple decades ago, where the conductor and engineer both tested positive in their urinalysis. Then, back at the turn of the millennium, some 17-year-old in an F350 was barreling down a Kansas highway doing 100 mph in a 70, stoned out of his mind on hashish. He plowed into a van containing a soccer-dad and the whole team. There were body parts everywhere.

The experiments in states other than Texas will prove out one way or the other. If you watched the Sanjay Gupta CNN series, they'd shown that pot-heads with enough of a history were barely impaired at all in some tasks like driving, while noobies were "all over the road." The kid in Kansas had a history of drug-abuse, and probably smoked three grams at a sitting before getting in the truck. He wasn't just impaired. His mind had wandered into another galaxy through a THC wormhole.

I like my Mendocino vino. Alcohol is probably a lot worse in all ways, but a little now and then is good for the heart. It's also common to hear that smoking boo often enough makes the difference between straight and stoned almost . . unnoticeable. Why do it that way, if it doesn't make a difference?

The books of Carlos Castaneda were entertaining. The scene where the author watches a housefly turn into a Godzilla-fly reminds me of neo-con panics about external threats. And they never even took the mushrooms.

If that's their brain without drugs, what would their brains be like . . . on drugs?

Last edited:

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
blah blah blah, self righteous weird shit, blah blah blah

Dude, you need to get outside sometime. Go stand in the sun for an hour or so. Get some fresh air.

Everyone else in this thread- For as much as yall like to talk about Texas, there sure are a lot of you moving here. Get off your collective high horse. I admit Texas wouldn't do as well on its own vs staying part of the union, but America would be hurting pretty bad without us.

This secession talk is all just people making noise and paying tribute anyway, not gonna seriously happen anytime soon.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Dude, you need to get outside sometime. Go stand in the sun for an hour or so. Get some fresh air.

Everyone else in this thread- For as much as yall like to talk about Texas, there sure are a lot of you moving here. Get off your collective high horse. I admit Texas wouldn't do as well on its own vs staying part of the union, but America would be hurting pretty bad without us.

This secession talk is all just people making noise and paying tribute anyway, not gonna seriously happen anytime soon.

Well, I've got my rights to comment, since I was born there with some three or four earlier generations going back to 1850 in a little place called Pana Maria near San Antonio. We had the Bushes beat by almost a century.

Like I'd said, too easy to paint with a broad stroke and brush. But the politicians I've seen, barring Wendy-whats-er-name from Phote Wuth, they're the "face." Does anyone think that Rick Perry was "all there?"

What's the point of useless posturing on this? Imagine it as an economic problem -- in ideal markets, prices adjust almost daily and incrementally. In labor negotiations and other similar types of market processes, the posturing always leads to an arbitrary solution, not necessarily what you'd arrive at with "many sellers, many buyers." And it seems to be the same with the political dialogue.

Long live Mollie Ivins, Janis Joplin and Willie Nelson. Even if it looked like Willie cheated on his taxes.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I'm not sure how far I buy into that. If true, I wonder if it's the result of nature or nurture, if it's innate or if culture largely determines its expression.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If they do, it won't be very long before Tex-Ass reverts to total Mexican control...and is just another Mexican state. (as compared to one of the United States that has a large Mexican population.

Personally, I think it would be a net win for the US of A...if we make all the Texans stay there...

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I see no reason to believe that Texas is more likely to successfully secede in 2015 than in 1860, and this is coming from someone who really couldn't care less if they seceded. Texas conservatives seem to do this every few years in an act of vanity. I guess as long as they feel special that's their business.

Perhaps this secession is in name only much as they demanded all text books remove the reference to our nation being a Democracy and replacing that term with Republic! Yes, they are that crazy!

Brian

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Perhaps this secession is in name only much as they demanded all text books remove the reference to our nation being a Democracy and replacing that term with Republic! Yes, they are that crazy!

Brian

Uh, I don't know if this is sarcasm or what, but we ... do live in a Republic. At least, those of us in the USA do. Don't know what textbooks you grew up on.

Article IV, Section 4, of the Constitution:
"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government"

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If they actually have the bawls for it two words....

Good Riddance