Texas Going Full Wild West LOL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
As long as they are part of a "A well regulated Militia" or are you just ignoring the parts you don't care about?

The Supreme Court doesn’t think much of that argument. Neither do I.

I think the 2nd needs amended if you want to salvage much gun control at all. Eventually someone is going to get the GCA and the NFA in front of a court that will strike down at least parts of them.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
HAHAHA! Making fun of cripples is funny!
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Abott's big fucking head. Of course you are too stupid to realize what the fuck is even being discussed, because you think you're somehow clever. As usual.

Fucking idiot clown.

Reactions: ivwshane

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I think the permitting system works fine. I remember reading a statistic somewhere that concealed weapons permit holders have a lower crime rate than even cops.

Still, the people most likely to commit gun crimes are ALREADY carrying their guns, legally or not. Nobody is thinking "well, I want to murder some people but it would be illegal to carry a gun so I guess I just won't murder today. So bummed..."

The people who will carry now who weren't carrying before are the law abiding citizens who didn't carry because it was illegal. I'd rather stick with the permit system, but I don't think this will lead to the spike in gun murder that some people are afraid it will.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think the permitting system works fine. I remember reading a statistic somewhere that concealed weapons permit holders have a lower crime rate than even cops.

Still, the people most likely to commit gun crimes are ALREADY carrying their guns, legally or not. Nobody is thinking "well, I want to murder some people but it would be illegal to carry a gun so I guess I just won't murder today. So bummed..."

The people who will carry now who weren't carrying before are the law abiding citizens who didn't carry because it was illegal. I'd rather stick with the permit system, but I don't think this will lead to the spike in gun murder that some people are afraid it will.
It depends on where you live. In Virginia a permit is required to carry concealed BUT the bar for getting a permit is shockingly low. All you have to do it take an online class, an online quiz and print out the results and bring it to the courthouse.
Most other states require a real class, by a certified instructor.

With what I've seen that aint enough. I've had multiple classes on my own because frankly theres a lot of shit to learn and in many towns not even the police get enough training. I'm fine with using the second Amendment to defense yourself or your country but you need LOADS of training and practice to do it right and almost no one bothers. The handgun training community is very small compared to the gun owning community.

Reactions: Pohemi

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Just an FYI did you know that in the so called 'Wild West' almost every town big enough to have a marshal outlawed the carrying of a firearm? The famous shootout at the OK Corral happened because the Cowboys defied a lawful order to hand over their weapons.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just an FYI did you know that in the so called 'Wild West' almost every town big enough to have a marshal outlawed the carrying of a firearm? The famous shootout at the OK Corral happened because the Cowboys defied a lawful order to hand over their weapons.

Yep. They were often required to leave their weapon at a storage facility.

The ignorance of our history in this country is mind numbing.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yep. They were often required to leave their weapon a storage facility.

The ignorance of our history in this country is mind numbing.
I know, and because of it we are right now repeating the history where we learn the lesson that it is a terrible idea to let everyone carry a firearm around with them at all times.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Think about how the average American drives. Now imagine them carrying a gun. If that doesn't scare the shit out of you then you should seek help.

I live in a constitutional carry state and I'm reading more and more incidents involving guns in our small town paper. Many of the incidents involve mentally disturbed people, people on drugs or people who just have a short temper. Not the type of people who should have a deadly weapon.

And after the last four and one years of right wing news telling 50% of America that I'm their fucking enemy and they were chosen by god I would be for completely banning all semi-auto weapons.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Think about how the average American drives. Now imagine them carrying a gun. If that doesn't scare the shit out of you then you should seek help.

I live in a constitutional carry state and I'm reading more and more incidents involving guns in our small town paper. Many of the incidents involve mentally disturbed people, people on drugs or people who just have a short temper. Not the type of people who should have a deadly weapon.

And after the last four and one years of right wing news telling 50% of America that I'm their fucking enemy and they were chosen by god I would be for completely banning all semi-auto weapons.
Or purchase my own arsenal, for protection against half of this country.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Personally in all for it. As gun violence rises it'll hopefully turn the populace against the people who are creating these dumb ass laws.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

I don't think average American's live in Texas. I think people much worse live there. (Don't get your girlfriend's panties you are wearing all twisted up.. There are still a few good people there, just not enough to do any good)

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
It depends on where you live. In Virginia a permit is required to carry concealed BUT the bar for getting a permit is shockingly low. All you have to do it take an online class, an online quiz and print out the results and bring it to the courthouse.
Most other states require a real class, by a certified instructor.

With what I've seen that aint enough.

While I am 100% in agreement that there should be a higher bar....there should be real classes etc... statistics just don't back up anything other than permit holders are really law abiding and rarely commit gun crime. As of right now. Even with the low bar.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The more practical effect is that more people who buy a gun will wind up themselves injured or dead because they didn't bother to get the training to know how to use it.

This is also a roundabout way to muzzle the police since many who get charged with "illegal possession" or possession without license happen to be blacks. After all, the laws are only as good as the enforcers of the law.

The provision of no fingerprinting could be harmful in cases.

Reactions: ivwshane

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Maybe some kind of state militia to train people. If only that was part of the constitution.

Jul 9, 2009
A bit of an over reaction for something that isn't going to happen. Fear and hysteria are not facts.

There are 20 others states that have had permit less carry for years.

They are;
  1. Alaska
  2. Arizona
  3. Arkansas
  4. Idaho
  5. Iowa
  6. Kansas
  7. Kentucky
  8. Maine
  9. Mississippi
  10. Missouri
  11. Montana
  12. New Hampshire
  13. North Dakota
  14. Oklahoma
  15. South Dakota
  16. Tennessee
  17. Utah
  18. Vermont
  19. West Virginia
  20. Wyoming
Please support your prediction that Texas will descend into the wild west with shootouts by showing how that is the case in any of the 20 states listed above.

I do not condone permit less carry, often referred to as constitutional carry. I do support permitted carry when the person has gone through background checks, and is trained in both the legal aspect firearm proficiency.

But this hysteria of the wild west and show down at the OK Corral aren't going to happen. They already are, and almost always by criminals and gang members.
Dammit you just confused all these anti-gun shitholes with facts.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
A bit of an over reaction for something that isn't going to happen. Fear and hysteria are not facts.

There are 20 others states that have had permit less carry for years.

They are;
  1. Alaska
  2. Arizona
  3. Arkansas
  4. Idaho
  5. Iowa
  6. Kansas
  7. Kentucky
  8. Maine
  9. Mississippi
  10. Missouri
  11. Montana
  12. New Hampshire
  13. North Dakota
  14. Oklahoma
  15. South Dakota
  16. Tennessee
  17. Utah
  18. Vermont
  19. West Virginia
  20. Wyoming
Please support your prediction that Texas will descend into the wild west with shootouts by showing how that is the case in any of the 20 states listed above.

I do not condone permit less carry, often referred to as constitutional carry. I do support permitted carry when the person has gone through background checks, and is trained in both the legal aspect firearm proficiency.

But this hysteria of the wild west and show down at the OK Corral aren't going to happen. They already are, and almost always by criminals and gang members.

So @imported_tajmahal of the 20 states with the “constitutional carry” law here’s the CDCs data for firearm deaths per 100,000 (followed by their ranking- #1 being worst)
  1. Alaska 24.4 #1
  2. Arizona 15.1 #16
  3. Arkansas 19.3 #9
  4. Idaho 14.2 #18
  5. Iowa 9.1 #41
  6. Kansas 13.7 #21
  7. Kentucky 14.9 #17
  8. Maine 11.5 #34
  9. Mississippi 24.2 #2
  10. Missouri 20.6 #7
  11. Montana 19 #10
  12. New Hampshire 10.7 #37
  13. North Dakota 12.4 #30
  14. Oklahoma 18.6 #11
  15. South Dakota 13.1 #23
  16. Tennessee 18.4 #12
  17. Utah 12.8 #25
  18. Vermont 9.3 #40
  19. West Virginia 16.6 #13
  20. Wyoming 22.3
So 3/4 of these states are in the top 1/2 of states with the worst rates of firearm deaths.

Hardly a ringing endorsement.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Tajjy has little regard for life. He thinks it's fantastic and exactly what a true founding father would approve of.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Abott's big fucking head. Of course you are too stupid to realize what the fuck is even being discussed, because you think you're somehow clever. As usual.

Fucking idiot clown.

no, I was simply suggesting that someone needs to tip him over out of his wheelchair, preferably somewhere out in the Nevada desert or whatever, and let him pick himself up by his bootstraps and find his own way home, as any proper god-fearing Republican would demand of any other "no excuses!" human.

he seems to think everyone is born with the same god-given advantages in life, as republicans think, and there is nothing preventing him as of anyone else, from finding his own way back from the desert.

I'm sure he really hates that commie ADA and all that. Not something he has ever taken advantage of, because he should never and would never consider himself special. He shouldn't receive any kind of special treatment, ever. Fuck that piece of human garbage.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
no, I was simply suggesting that someone needs to tip him over out of his wheelchair, preferably somewhere out in the Nevada desert or whatever, and let him pick himself up by his bootstraps and find his own way home, as any proper god-fearing Republican would demand of any other "no excuses!" human.

he seems to think everyone is born with the same god-given advantages in life, as republicans think, and there is nothing preventing him as of anyone else, from finding his own way back from the desert.

I'm sure he really hates that commie ADA and all that. Not something he has ever taken advantage of, because he should never and would never consider himself special. He shouldn't receive any kind of special treatment, ever. Fuck that piece of human garbage.
Excellent! I appreciate the raw misanthropy you express. Fuck all that compassion bullshit, the only way is to hate citizens with whom you disagree, especially if they are repugnicans!

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dammit you just confused all these anti-gun shitholes with facts.

^this is a guy that advocates grenading babies to death. I mean, just look at the violence bleeding out of his asshole, putting those words together in that post.

He has issues. I would be surprised if the FBI hasn't been following him by now.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think as long as anybody who wants to kill people with a gun can easily get one to use, it really doesn't matter much if lax turns to open spigot. I see the problem to be more an issue of a huge number of very sick people.