Texas asserting their 10th amendment rights? Gives TSA middle finger?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
No it isn't. They've got just as much, if not more, retarded shit as anyplace else. Do I have to remind you that they tried to rewrite history as to reflect their conservative views?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

"One of the things important about history is to remember the true history." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., June 6, 2008

Sorry, but that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. The winners always write the history in every war that's ever been. Texas aligns well with my political beliefs and lifestyle. Facing a huge budget deficit, did we dip into our ~$10B rainy day fund? No, we slashed the crap out of education, health care and other social programs. As Rick Perry said, "That's why it's called savings, not spendings." BOOM. :thumbsup:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Sorry, but that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. The winners always write the history in every war that's ever been. Texas aligns well with my political beliefs and lifestyle. Facing a huge budget deficit, did we dip into our ~$10B rainy day fund? No, we slashed the crap out of education, health care and other social programs. As Rick Perry said, "That's why it's called savings, not spendings." BOOM. :thumbsup:

Slashing education is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. It will hurt them in the long run. And the state ain't as financially sound as you would like to believe.

http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-state-budget-crisis-2011-1

http://www.texasobserver.org/forrestforthetrees/krugman-gets-it-right-on-texas-budget-crisis

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Slashing education is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. It will hurt them in the long run. And the state ain't as financially sound as you would like to believe.

http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-state-budget-crisis-2011-1

http://www.texasobserver.org/forrestforthetrees/krugman-gets-it-right-on-texas-budget-crisis

Uh, yeah that link is from January. The result was slashing all the social programs. It's fixed now.

I also love the schedule for the Texas Legislature. All legislatures should be part time, every other year. It keeps them from getting bored and passing too much regulation.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
you'd think having a military ID would give a free pass :p

Actually military IDs are easier to forge than the average driver's license. Lots of bars in military towns won't even accept them as valid ID for this reason.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Actually military IDs are easier to forge than the average driver's license. Lots of bars in military towns won't even accept them as valid ID for this reason.

While some states do have very complex drivers licenses, there are a number of authenticity identifiers on military IDs.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
A metal detector searches your person for metal and it is employed to search for metal weaponry. They have you take off all metal objects so that the search is concentrated to hidden metal items.
If you fail the walk-through they will wand you, and if you fail the wand they will manually search that area. These are searches leading to more searches.

Entering a courthouse does not give probable cause that you are carrying a prohibited weapon, so that first search is disallowed.

The point of this is to say they are prohibited from searching without probable cause. If they can't search and they disallow access based on the absence of search then they disallow everybody. Which is what the Federal Government will probably do if this somehow holds up -- halt all passenger flights from Texas.

The TSA searches EVERYBODY. Every piece of luggage and every person is scanned. The random additional screening is just that -- additional.

You damn idiots can never process including the baseline.

since you care so little for your rights you should move to indiana.

what the TSA does and the legistaltion backing it is an abomination to the principles that this country is supposedly founded on.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While some states do have very complex drivers licenses, there are a number of authenticity identifiers on military IDs.

Yeah I know, I've had a bunch of them. :) Try and walk into half the bars in San Diego with only a military ID and see what they do though, they will turn you right back out the door because they aren't reliable enough.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah I know, I've had a bunch of them. :) Try and walk into half the bars in San Diego with only a military ID and see what they do though, they will turn you right back out the door because they aren't reliable enough.

I would assume there would be a pretty severe penalty for creating\possessing counterfeit federal ID cards....

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Which bars in which military towns? I never had a problem using my military ID, even the old one, the new one is not any easier to forge than any drivers license I have seen.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would assume there would be a pretty severe penalty for creating\possessing counterfeit federal ID cards....

I don't know what the penalties are, but I do know a guy who got booted out of the navy for forging IDs. I imagine the base CO had a lot of latitude with what he did with him, but the guy only served restriction and extra duty, no jail time. (to the best of my knowledge) I imagine a lot has to do with their intent.

My only point was that military IDs aren't more reliable than a drivers license, and in many cases they are less.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
what the TSA does and the legistaltion backing it is an abomination to the principles that this country is supposedly founded on.

What... the right to board a big bomb carrying hundreds of people with millions of innocent people below with no screening?
I don't remember anything close being implied.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Which bars in which military towns? I never had a problem using my military ID, even the old one, the new one is not any easier to forge than any drivers license I have seen.

As I mentioned, San Diego. It varies with the bar, but for example the PB Bar and Grill requires secondary ID if you use your military ID. (lots of other ones do too, that's just the easiest one I remember)

Trust me, I spent way more of my life than I should have in San Diego bars, most of that time with military people. (some of which didn't have drivers licenses because they were dumbasses) It was an enduring problem.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
As I mentioned, San Diego. It varies with the bar, but for example the PB Bar and Grill requires secondary ID if you use your military ID. (lots of other ones do too, that's just the easiest one I remember)

Trust me, I spent way more of my life than I should have in San Diego bars, most of that time with military people. (some of which didn't have drivers licenses because they were dumbasses) It was an enduring problem.

My experience is different, I never had a problem getting into bars with military ID, hell sometimes it came with no cover :)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My experience is different, I never had a problem getting into bars with military ID, hell sometimes it came with no cover :)

My experience has always been that in towns without a big military base, people love you. In towns with a big one... not so much. haha

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
My experience has always been that in towns without a big military base, people love you. In towns with a big one... not so much. haha

I don't think it's so much that they don't like you, it's just more "Yea, ok you're military, just like everyone else for the last fifty years in this town has been".

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well, who knows what the TSA and Homeland security may do, but they may well say, planes can land in Texas and discharge passengers, but no in a Texas airport can board a departing plane and take to Federally regulated skies improperly inspected.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Then the US Government should refuse any/all airplanes coming from Texas the right to fly in US air space...and refuse to let them land at any airport NOT in Texas. Enforce a no-fly zone around Texas...shoot down any airplane that tries to escape.

After all, if Texas is going to refuse to enforce TSA regulations, how can we be sure they're not boarding hijackers?

Shut it down!!

That would be awesome. This country needs to get in an all out brawl between states that neuters and eventually destroys the federal government through lack of cooperation and funding. The US is a failed experiment, time to accept it and move on.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
What... the right to board a big bomb carrying hundreds of people with millions of innocent people below with no screening?
I don't remember anything close being implied.

how about the 4th amendment

boarding a plane should not be considered reasonable suspicion for invasive searching.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That would be awesome. This country needs to get in an all out brawl between states that neuters and eventually destroys the federal government through lack of cooperation and funding. The US is a failed experiment, time to accept it and move on.

Uhmm, we had one of those. The federal government won.

I like how the wealthiest, most powerful country the world has ever seen is a 'failed experiment' too.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Uhmm, we had one of those. The federal government won.

I like how the wealthiest, most powerful country the world has ever seen is a 'failed experiment' too.

Rome was pretty powerful too. How's it working out for them these days?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Actually we are probably more at risk from military folks than average citizens. Fort Hood ring a bell?

Radical Muslims with military training seem to be a bad combo

we are probably more at risk from 16-20 year olds

columbine? virginia tech? do those ring a bell :roll: