Tetanus shot & bleedin' like bloody murder.......

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So I haven't been handed the details yet, but apparently my 10yr old daughter got a tetanus shot today & when the nurse pulled the needle out the sucker started bleedin' like crazy.

They applied pressure & after a couple minutes removed the gauze only to be introduced to more blood running.

They finally got it stopped but I've gotta' think that the nurse hit a vein or something???

:confused:

P.S. (Yes, typical shoulder location)

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Your kid has thin blood that isn't allowing it to clot properly.... have that checked out.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
they woulda detected hemophilia by now in someone that old right? It seems even if they did hit a blood vessel bad that it should still clot pretty quickly and not keep bleeding later.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Your kid has thin blood that isn't allowing it to clot properly.... have that checked out.

Incorrect

Wow you posted a lame story that isn't even that interesting (they did stop the bleeding, right?) and when soemone tries to help you, you shut them down with a one worded response. Good job.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001

Incorrect

So you ask a question, someone gives you a very reasonable answer to which you simply shoot down without any explation. Weird.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
They took a shot. They were wrong. The word "Incorrect" simply posted.

(The shot was also rather presumptuous and absolute). Were you looking for question marks??

P.S. Sec/Prog Mod looking at very simple thread dialogue & calling it weird...........WEIRD! :confused:

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: sygyzy

Incorrect

Wow you posted a lame story that isn't even that interesting (they did stop the bleeding, right?) and when soemone tries to help you, you shut them down with a one worded response. Good job.

QFT, at least give a reason why he is incorrect.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

Due to prior, unrelated behavioral issues, regular blood tests have been in order & thin blood has never been a consideration.

Also, no blood thinners being taken.

P.S. I go thru the same rigorous blood testing & doc always reviews w/ all of us. Never been an issue unless it presented itself in the last 30 days.

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
P.S. Sec/Prog Mod looking at very simple thread dialogue & calling it weird...........WEIRD! :confused:

I didn't post as a mod. I simply posted in your thread as a user. How about this, are you simply asking us all to guess to see if we figure it out or are you actually looking for advice? It would seem if you KNEW it wasn't a clotting issue, you'd say so. Since you didn't someone tried to offer an answer. We are all curious how you are so certain thats wrong.

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

Due to prior, unrelated behavioral issues, regular blood tests have been in order & thin blood has never been a consideration.

Also, no blood thinners being taken.

P.S. I go thru the same rigorous blood testing & doc always reviews w/ all of us. Never been an issue unless it presented itself in the last 30 days.

Thin blood is really a misnomer, has she been tested for clotting issues? Do any of you have an history of such issues? If its a one time thing, maybe it was a fluke, but if it happens again clotting issue can be extremely serious...

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
So I haven't been handed the details yet, but apparently my 10yr old daughter got a tetanus shot today & when the nurse pulled the needle out the sucker started bleedin' like crazy.

They applied pressure & after a couple minutes removed the gauze only to be introduced to more blood running.

They finally got it stopped but I've gotta' think that the nurse hit a vein or something???

it sounds like your daughter might have a vitamin b12 deficiency...

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: eits

it sounds like your daughter might have a vitamin b12 deficiency...

Thanks eits.

That may be true. I'll have to check w/ my pdoc on that one based on the last blood test. I'll know more tonight as to how serious it was at the doctor's office, but I'm sure my pdoc will want to know......(surgical background)........and love to find out if there's anything going on there.

P.S. As the father of two daughters who's seen just about every form of trauma they can muster, I have yet to see any sign of clotting issues. I won't put it outside of the realm of possibility, but my guess is that the nurse either gouged the muscle in excessively causing more blood letting than normal or (and I don't know what blood vessels run near the face of the shoulder) she possibly hit a vein causing more excessive blood flow than a normal muscle-hit with the syringe.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Incorrect

Well if you already know the answer, then why ask the question? This isn't med school, you know.

And if you have more info that you didn't put in the OP, maybe you should slip it in there before anyone notices.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Is there a bruise at the site now? If not, it probably wasn't a vein they hit or it would have continued to bleed where it was punctured. (Under the skin, leaving a bruise.)

Did whomever give the injection withdraw the plunger to make sure they weren't giving it IV instead of IM?

I bet they used the square needle...

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

did the nurse give any response as to why this could've happened?

definitely give a call to your family physician's office and see if they want to pursue this.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Nothing happened at the doc's office, but I wasn't there. (I'd have been all over it, if only out of curiosity)

My pdoc will be more inclined to force the doc to explain why & if they converse (e-mail, fax, whatever) I'm sure he'll ask the right questions to find out why.

P.S. "Square needle" makes me jewels hurt! :p

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sygyzy

Incorrect

Originally posted by: bsobel

Incorrect

So you ask a question, someone gives you a very reasonable answer to which you simply shoot down without any explation. Weird.

Well said.