Testing 7900GT

Brianoes

Feb 20, 2006
I've just finished my new rig (see signature), and I still have one thing yet to do; put my VF-900 cooler on my XFX 7900GT. I have been scared to do it due to the fact that there were many reports of bad 7900GT's, and the fact that mine is the version with Samsung memory, although it is one of the RoHS compliant models.

I have been running it with both a Deep Freeze loop on 3DM6k (which I got 4550), and also a SuperPi and Rthdribl loop which maxed out both CPU cores and GPU was at its highest temperature of 64 degrees. All of these tests were stable after an hour and a half of each test. No artifacts.

So my question is, can I be reasonably sure that it is safe to put on my VF-900 and not find ou in two weeks that my card is a dud? I mean, I have put it pretty much through hell the past 3-5 hours, and the fan is loud as hell. Would anyone like to offer any other tests or more time to wait, or should I just go for it and assume the card will be fine?

Thanks,
Brian

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Unless I've missed something, you didn't say how long you've had the 7900 GT. If not for the loud stock fan, I would wait at least two weeks since people were reporting the cards working OK initially and failing a week to a month later.

I'm not sure about XFX's warranty policy, but IMO it's not unethical to return a card just because it's had aftermarket cooling on it; if you have issues, you just need to reinstall the stock cooler before RMA-ing it. (I'm assuming you know what you're doing, and of course that you don't inadvertantly damage the card by installing the aftermarket cooler.)

Brianoes

Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for the post. I've had the card for a few days, and I've been benching with it for a few hours everyday to let it burn in and so far nothing.

As for the warranty, XFX says that:
At that time, XFX promises that the graphics card purchased (Product) will remain free from any defects in material or workmanship for the lifetime of the Product, as long as the Product is used properly.

"Proper Usage? is defined as normal wear and tear. Should the Product be modified or damaged as the result of overclocking, tampering, alteration, misuse, abuse, power supply, power application, or repair by other than XFX the warranty is VOID.

I assume that a 3rd party cooler would void this warranty, but is it possible to put the original cooler back on if something were to go wrong with the card? Would they check to see if the thermal paste were different or some other means?

I have installed a bunch of aftermarket GPU coolers, including the VF-900, but I have never had to reapply a stock cooler to send in for an RMA.

Brian

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Brianoes
Thanks for the post. I've had the card for a few days, and I've been benching with it for a few hours everyday to let it burn in and so far nothing.

As for the warranty, XFX says that:
At that time, XFX promises that the graphics card purchased (Product) will remain free from any defects in material or workmanship for the lifetime of the Product, as long as the Product is used properly.

"Proper Usage? is defined as normal wear and tear. Should the Product be modified or damaged as the result of overclocking, tampering, alteration, misuse, abuse, power supply, power application, or repair by other than XFX the warranty is VOID.

I assume that a 3rd party cooler would void this warranty, but is it possible to put the original cooler back on if something were to go wrong with the card? Would they check to see if the thermal paste were different or some other means?

I have installed a bunch of aftermarket GPU coolers, including the VF-900, but I have never had to reapply a stock cooler to send in for an RMA.

Brian

For any RMA you suppose to re-apply the stock cooler. At least with evga. But it's always a good idea anyway.

You planning to vmod that 7900GT? That would really make it shine.
Also, the vmod on the CORE is extreamly safe and I've found no problems with that. It's the memory vmod that you have to watch out for. Thats what kills the card. So as long as you keep to stock memory volts, then your safe.

Just game as usual to see if you have a bad card. At the first sign of trouble, RMA it. It's alright I'm sure it's happend to some of us. (happend to me)

Brianoes

Feb 20, 2006
So just apply my Zalman cooler, game until\if it has trouble, and if it does, just reapply the stock cooler?

Did you sucessfully RMA your card after doing that?

Brian

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Your card sounds fine to me, so go ahead and put your VF900 on it. If it does mess up then you can always put the stock cooler back on it, which is dishonest as the warranty would be void, but so long as you didn't damage it putting the cooler on (knocking off a capacitor, scratching the PCB, whatever) then technically it's not you who has voided the warranty. XFX would disagree, but they don't test the thermal paste or anything so just go for it.